Menu

Knit Picks Needles!

I don't know what you're loving, but I love the look myself. From a distance. With my hand protectively holding my wallet closed.

(Actually, I saw these at a conference, and although they are beautiful, the joins didn't seem as smooth as Addi Turbos, my gold standard for circular needles.) (Neither, I should add, did the joins on any of the other 'interchangable' systems out there. I'm thinking that this technology has not really matured yet. And since I work with silk and cotton so much, I need to worry more than most about fraying and tufts.)

I own several sets of the Harmony dpns and love them. The wood is smooth, the tips are nice and pointy, and they're neither too sticky or too slick. And they look good, too. :) I also have a large pair of straight Harmony needles (US 12) I bought for a project and will probably never use again - they are heavy!

I own several sets of the Harmony dpns and love them. The wood is smooth, the tips are nice and pointy, and they're neither too sticky or too slick. And they look good, too. :) I also have a large pair of straight Harmony needles (US 12) I bought for a project and will probably never use again - they are heavy!

:iagree:

The points are pointy.

The wood is smooth.

Priced in my range.

The color is a bonus and look so classy while knitting.

*sigh* I just love them.

I only have the fixed metal circulars right now.

I think the joins are as smooth as my addis (which I had LOVED until I met KnitPicks, and now, well, the addis sit, unloved, unless I HAVE to use them). The points are way pointier than the regular addis. I think the Addi lace ones might be more comparable, but I don't have any of those for comparison.

I think this post (it's not me) sums up my impression of the difference: http://curlypurly.blogspot.com/2006/07/knit-picks-vs-addi-head-to-head.html - this speaks only to the nickle plated KP needles, not the harmony needles.

I think the joins are as smooth as my addis (which I had LOVED until I met KnitPicks, and now, well, the addis sit, unloved, unless I HAVE to use them). The points are way pointier than the regular addis. I think the Addi lace ones might be more comparable, but I don't have any of those for comparison.

I think this post (it's not me) sums up my impression of the difference: http://curlypurly.blogspot.com/2006/07/knit-picks-vs-addi-head-to-head.html - this speaks only to the nickle plated KP needles, not the harmony needles.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that blog post! Those pictures are amazing! I've always heard so much about the Addi needles!

I use the sock-size Harmony dpn's all the time. All the time. I have a couple of circs with Harmony tips--love the Harmony and the flexible cables. I have one circ with the nickle-plated and I have a hard time with it because it's too slick for me. Trying to control my stitches on that one gives my hands cramps.

I love my knitpicks needles. I've had them for years and I don't like other brands now. The only problem I have is sometimes they come loose at the connector, but that's an easy fix. I've just bought new wire. They're all I knit with now. Flat knitting or circular.

I have a complete set of the metal circulars that screw on and off. I really like the points for lace- and I always do the magic loop if a circular construction is called for.

That said- I have had two different sets of cables come unglued from the screw-ends. Very annoying- especially in the middle of a big project. I also don't find the fixed metal cable needles to have as flexible a cable as addis.

So... I love and adore my addis!! But for fine lace I really like my knit picks.

I think the wooden colored sock needles are gorgeous. Almost pretty enough to not do magic loop. But only almost.

For those who use the Harmony wood, do you find it difficult to *see* your yarn? I read a few reviews where people were complaining that the yarn blended in with the colors in the wood.

Has anyone tried the acrylic?

Cinder, I could see myself having the same issue as you with the slick ones.

Doggone it. You had to go and compare Addis with Harmonies. And you had to have pictures. And descriptions. And such good data.

I feel my hand slowly but surely lifting off my wallet, where it had been holding it closed, yes CLOSED, ladies and gentleknitters, CLOSED against the temptation to purchase those gorgeous Harmony interchangable needles that I had deemed less practical.

Doggone it.

I may have to do it.

That said- I have had two different sets of cables come unglued from the screw-ends. Very annoying- especially in the middle of a big project. I also don't find the fixed metal cable needles to have as flexible a cable as addis.

Could you please elaborate on this ungluing and less flexible information? I'm comparing it with the blog post cited above, and I'm confused.

I don't have trouble seeing my stitches. I've also read that some people are visually overwhelmed by the patterning of the needles. That doesn't bother me, either. I'm not usually bothered by visual stimuli, though. (Which goes a long way in explaining why my house stays cluttered. ;) )

I have several of the fixed circulars in both nickel and wood, and then I have the Harmony interchangeable set. I went with the Harmony over the nickel because as a new knitter, the nickel were more likely to cause me to drop stitches (slippery). It wasn't long before I started preferring my nickel tips though. I'm a "pusher" when I knit, and the point on the Harmony needles can really be painful for me. For awhile I wore a bandaid on my pushing finger, and that was better. The nickel ones are still nice and pointy, but not as sharp as the Harmony. I love the Harmony otherwise, and have had no issues with the color or with joins. The cables are great for magic looping.

Oh, me too! I have poked a literal hole in my finger by knitting that way.

I have nickel and wood dpns - love them both! And I love the nickel interchangeables. I had a few issues with unscrewing in the beginning, until I learned to remember to really tighten them with the tool. I've never had trouble seeing stitches.

Knit Picks has great customer service, too. I have both dpns because I ordered the Harmony and they sent the nickel. I called them & had the Harmony sets I'd ordered in a couple days, and they insisted I keep the nickel. (this has been the single error I've ever encountered with them)

:iagree:I thought Addis were good until I tried Knitpicks. The KPs are SO much pointer! Much better for me. I use all three types of needles and enjoy them all. The acrylic are nice, but can be rather sticky at first. I like how the tips flex a bit though. I have a whole collection of odds and ends from both KnitPicks and Knit Pro, I prefer the circulars to straight. The needles are cheap enough you should find a pattern then get a new set of needles and some yarn to try out.:D You'll never go back.