Menu

Singapore 6b to Algebra?

Has anybody here gone from Singapore 6b straight to Algebra? With my Oldest we are going into Pre-Algebra, but my second is really good at Math. I am not sure what to do with him. I was thinking of supplementing with Negative number stuff and going straight into Algebra for him.

I was also thinking of ordering AOPS Pre Algebra and looking through that. I would still like to know what others have done though. Are there any other weaknesses in SM that I may need to touch upon to jump straight in with Algebra?

Thanks?

Danielle

With my oldest, we went from Singapore 6B to Chalkdust Algebra I (first 6 chapters of the The Combined Text). The first chapter covers positive and negative numbers. Watching the dvd lectures and having him take notes and work all examples really helped.

My youngest finished 6B mid-year so we are using the first four books of Key to Algebra to finish up the year. In the fall he will start with Algebra I/Cheap Chalkdust.

hth,

K

My original plan for fall was to have my oldest who is just finishing 6B move into Foerster's Algebra I. Then I realized that there were a few topics we haven't covered yet. Multiplying and dividing when both numbers are decimals, prime numbers, integers, and squares/square roots/cubes/cube roots come to mind. All of these are covered in the first few chapters of NEM1 or DM1 according to the tables of content and would be part of a normal prealgebra program. For us, I decided to at least do part of NEM1 before moving into algebra. HTH

My original plan for fall was to have my oldest who is just finishing 6B move into Foerster's Algebra I. Then I realized that there were a few topics we haven't covered yet. Multiplying and dividing when both numbers are decimals, prime numbers, integers, and squares/square roots/cubes/cube roots come to mind. All of these are covered in the first few chapters of NEM1 or DM1 according to the tables of content and would be part of a normal prealgebra program. For us, I decided to at least do part of NEM1 before moving into algebra. HTH

those topic cover in SM standard version other than square root. which is really a 5 mins topic..

DD 14 is very good at math and went straight from 6B to AoPS Introduction to Algebra. It was challenging and there were definitely some areas that hadn't been covered in 6B (I'm drawing a blank on exactly what those topics were), but filling in the gaps was fairly easy and she loves to be challenged. With DD 13 (not so mathy) I had her do the LoF pre-algebra books over the summer before starting on AoPS. She really needed the stepping stone between 6B and AoPS. Even so, AoPS didn't work out and she's now doing NEM.

So, I think it really depends on the child. Since you said your child is really good at math I think going staright into algebra would be fine. Just be aware that there may be a few gaps you'll have to fill in (and these could be different depending which curriculum you use), but they probably won't take much time.

I have one who finished end of last month and then spent the remainder of the year doing Khan Academy Pre-ALgebra and half of the Algebra playlist and LOF Pre-Algebra. He's going to go to AOPS.

The other will finish 6B by end of first quarter of next year. I will put her in Pre-ALgebra. She's not as motiviated in math.

My middle dd worked through Math Smart Junior (available on amazon for a whopping 1 cent) and then started both Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Smart-Junior-School-Princeton/dp/0679759352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1306387001&sr=1-1

She spent almost two years working through half of Jacobs Algebra (because she decided that she didn't like it after all) and all of Kinetic Books Algebra I. She worked through the first chapter of KB and then the first chapter of Jacobs. She repeated that pattern all the way up to chapter 9 in both books and then dropped Jacobs.

Kinetic Books is her favorite math program. She's disappointed that they don't have a precalculus yet, so she's going to have to switch to another program next year.

ds went from Singapore 5b to AoPS intro algebra. He was missing roots, powers, and negative numbers (really just 2 weeks of info missing). But also it was a very steep learning curve in general. It will take him 2.5 years to finish AoPS algebra. At the time they did not have the pre algebra program, and if they had I would have had him do it first and then I am assuming that the algebra book would not have taken so long. (He does love it, however).

Depending on the age of your child, I would recommend putting him into an easier algebra program like Jacobs for a year, and then doing AoPS algebra.

Ruth in NZ

Depending on the age of your child, I would recommend putting him into an easier algebra program like Jacobs for a year, and then doing AoPS algebra.

Ruth in NZ

I'm not sure that this a good approach. My 6th grader completed MUS's alg/geo book (an incredibly easy alg book) early in the school yr so I decided to try her w/AoPS alg. It hasn't really been effective. B/c she already knows how to perform the operations, it has been nothing more than extra problems to complete.

It is the discovery that is the meat of the AoPS textbooks. You lose that if they have already completed another book. We haven't yet reached a pt in AoPS that she doesn't already know, so I am not even sure yet whether AoPS is a good fit for her or not.

I've done that with one of my children and plan to go that route with my two youngest as well. I did use the first four books of Key to Algebra along with 6B. I don't think that will be necessary with the new Standards Edition of Singapore that we are using.

• 2 weeks later...