Menu

What are your second graders reading?

*AM*

Mine are still in first, but one of them reads at a slightly higher level. In the last few months, he's enjoyed for independent reading:

* the new Stink book

* a Judy Moody book he hadn't read yet

* The Travels of Thelonious: The Fog Mound

* rereading Tiny Titans... again

* a few Secrets of Droon books

* he'll also read a little of any children's nonfiction book if it interests him

I used the Sonlight 3 (previously named 2-intermediate) reader schedule with my son this year. I had him do a placement test that I can't seem to find on the sl site anymore to figure out which readers to use. Anyhow, we started off using the schedule, but a couple of months into this school year, his reading just took off. Now I just use the SL catalog as a book list, no schedule needed. The Clyde Robert Bulla books were a HUGE hit with him, so he read through all of the ones that our library carries. Hth!

Some things my oldest read when he was in 2nd grade:

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Magic Tree House books

Diary of a Wimpy Kid books

... According to Humphrey books (awful! :ack2:)

Henry Huggins

Good Times Travel Agency books (still loved)

Stone Fox

History Maker Bios

I let him choose most of what he read. My rising 2nd grader will not be so lucky.;)

For my then 2nd grader, though he was capable of reading longer books, he was intimidated by the size. The Wimpy Kid books helped him get over it. Now he'll tackle just about anything.

Mine is reading Detectives in Togas for school. On his own, he's reading The Magician's Nephew, Roald Dahl's The Witches, and the 5th Harry Potter (I'm not sure how he keeps up with them all, but for some reason he likes to have half a dozen books going at the same time).

My second grader has been reading the sonlight 2nd grade advanced readers. He has really enjoyed them. We did skip a book or two really girl related, other than that they were great books! for fun on his own he whizzes through the magic tree house books, our library has tons. Another series he likes but can't at the library by Carole Marsh is Around the World in 80 Mysteries. He loves those! In the fall we will be reading books off the veritas press third grade selections.

The original classics unabridged:

Wind in the Willow

Tom Sawyer

Little Men (He didn't want to read Little Women)

Sign of the Beaver

Black Beauty (currently reading, not enjoying it as much as other books I listed here)

Lord of the Ring series (He is a Tolkien fan)

Chronicle of Narnia series

Bunnicula (his new love, his younger brother loves to read this seris too.)

I tried to ask him to read Farmer Boy, but he said it was not interesting. He did enjoy all the SL advanced 2 readers.

Edited by aomom

Wind in the Willow

Tom Sawyer

Sign of the Beaver

Black Beauty (currently reading, not enjoying it as much as other books I listed here)

I tried to ask him to read Farmer Boy, but he said it was not interesting. He did enjoy all the SL advanced 2 readers.

How has your son enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia? We will be doing it in the fall for third grade.

Wind in the Willow

Tom Sawyer

Sign of the Beaver

How has your son enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia? We will be doing it in the fall for third grade and have been having mixed feelings.

Allyson

My little guy just finished Farmer Boy and loved it. Funny story to go with it: I try to alternate between books that are shorter and easier with the longer and more challenging books. I hand him Farmer Boy and he was horrified that it was over 350 pages and had NO PICTURES!! :svengo: I still made him read it, because I'm mean that way. ;) He was able to finish it in just over 2 weeks by reading a half hour each school day. I was very proud of him - and he was proud of himself. So the next book, I thought I'd give him an easy one and took out Stone Fox, he matter-of-factly told me that he couldn't possibly read a book with such large print and pictures in it! :tongue_smilie: I just can't win with this child! LOL

For 2nd grade my ds read through the second have of HOD emergent readers as well as a bunch of their supplemental titles. He is now reading through their Level 2 books. The last couple of weeks he has read Stone Fox, and Dolphin Adventure.

Ds 8 has read books 1-4 of Harry Potter, and made a couple attempts at book 5. The teenage angst is rather boring. :lol: Currently he's rereading the Percy Jackson series. He's also read several of his older brother's anamorphs. He's also read many of the books recommended in SOTW AG Vol. 2. :001_smile:

How has your son enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia? We will be doing it in the fall for third grade.

He likes the Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, and the Dawn Treader, the Silver Chair, the Magician's Nephew. Dawn Treader was his favorite. He enjoyed the movie, too.

I will try to convince him to read Farmer Boy after I read the encouraging story one of you told about your ds reading it. Thanks!

My little guy just finished Farmer Boy and loved it. Funny story to go with it: I try to alternate between books that are shorter and easier with the longer and more challenging books. I hand him Farmer Boy and he was horrified that it was over 350 pages and had NO PICTURES!! :svengo: I still made him read it, because I'm mean that way. ;) He was able to finish it in just over 2 weeks by reading a half hour each school day. I was very proud of him - and he was proud of himself. So the next book, I thought I'd give him an easy one and took out Stone Fox, he matter-of-factly told me that he couldn't possibly read a book with such large print and pictures in it! :tongue_smilie: I just can't win with this child! LOL

My ds just read Stone Fox, too! He read it in one sitting.

I love the bold part. If it is thin book, my ds usually tells me thin books are boring and prefers thick long ones with interesting plots.