Menu

Help me think of a clothing option for little boy

with double casts and an immobilzation bar between them. This is for a dear friend of ours whose 3 yr old had corrective surgery. I thought of snap bottom shorts, but can't find any in a size larger than 2T. I cut a pair of shorts apart and sewed in a line of velcro, but this seems very bulky. Any ideas?

ETA: Yes, the casts are on his legs, and he is wheelchair bound for 6 wks.

Edited by bookfiend

with double casts and an immobilzation bar between them. This is for a dear friend of ours whose 3 yr old had corrective surgery. I thought of snap bottom shorts, but can't find any in a size larger than 2T. I cut a pair of shorts apart and sewed in a line of velcro, but this seems very bulky. Any ideas?

Can you sew in snaps instead of velcro?

Sorry, I don't understand what are "domes."

Domes are little wee snaps. Metal ones, at the time. Like you'd find on Barbie clothes (bit bigger than that). She cut both sides of the pants, sewed in a few domes, and it worked perfectly. Didn't have to slide up and over anything, just like you'd use a cloth diaper, but with the dignity of real clothes.

I was 5 at the time I was in the cast, and not wearing 'baby clothes' was a big deal.

Would you be able to find some of those tearaway pants (like bball players wear to warm up) small enough? (they have snaps down the outside leg) That might work.

Problem with long pants' date=' they often won't fit over casts, and the imobilization bar.[/b']

I was 'lucky' and broke my leg in shorts weather.

Would you be able to find some of those tearaway pants (like bball players wear to warm up) small enough? (they have snaps down the outside leg) That might work.

:iagree:Hemming tear away pants would probably be less work than sewing snaps in the crotch of shorts.

My DD7 was in a hip spica cast for 6 months when she was 6 months old. A lovely lady at the playgroup we attended went to the trouble of taking apart a pair of loose long pants - a couple of sizes bigger - and putting snaps in them so dd could wear pants instead of dresses all the time. It meant so much to me that she went to the trouble to do this.

Definately taking apart leg/crotch seam of shorts or pants and putting in snaps is the way to go. You do need to make sure that the legs are wide enough to fit around cast. Hope things go well for your friend and her son.

Take some soft terry shorts (they are stretchier and so might fit over casts better. Cut the inner legs and crotch and use this snap tape instead of velcro: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=snap+tape&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1781161738199088901&sa=X&ei=fYHYTeCfHYGftweokPXoDg&ved=0CEMQ8wIwAA&biw=1429&bih=686#

YES! This is what I need and didn't know existed! Thank you, thank you. My sewing skills are rudimentary (think, made a skirt in highschool Home Ec.) I can sew in snap tape - have no idea about how to do individual snaps. Thanks for thinking about this problem for me! I'm very grateful for everyone's time and wisdom.

Edited by bookfiend

• 1 month later...

I also think that doing the sides would be easier than the crotch as far as dressing anyway. If the crotch is intact then the shorts can be put on similar to a diaper and discretely snapped on the sides. If you only do the crotch then the shorts wil have to be brought over both legs or over the head. That seems like it would take more effort. Or you could make a short romper style overall that has buttons at the shoulders and the crotch. There are easy patterns for those at the fabric stores..