Menu

New online planner option for those of us who like Excel but want more functionality!

melissel

My problem with HST has been the learning curve. My time is valuable- definitely worth up to $5 a month for the rest of our hs career if I don't have to learn a complex software. Plus this stuff is current and HST did not look current when I was looking at it. This is new, still being refined and I can't wait to see how awesome the complete package will be.

I think I'm sticking with HST+...well, i have only started using it, but i find it pretty straightforward once you've learned the ropes--took me about 3 hours to figure it all out, and entering is easy.

I am going to get the cd version though, as I hate the idea of losing it when my computer dies!

I don't think this is going to work for me after all. I am really struggling with only having a one-week view. I need to see where I am in my planning calendar. I wish the planning screen had a monthly calendar view, instead of a weekly calendar view. I could probably make that work.

What I really want is the pretty interface of this program with the planning capabilities of HST+.

After spending about 6 hours this weekend between the $5 trial of HST+, Skedtrack, Home School Inc, and the trial of SCM, I was about to give up and stick with Excel. But this one definitely looks doable. I'll keep playing around with it over the next 15 days. Everyone's comments are very encouraging. Thank you for sharing!

the curly brackets thing { and } to enter a range of lessons over a date period worked for me!

Question-how do I delete a whole course? I can go day by day and delete each assignment but that's a little tedious.

Jennifer

It doesn't look like you can. The developer told me that you can email him and he'll delete it for you, or you can delete the student altogether and start over.

Thanks for the link. I am definitely a planner. I purchased HST+ a few years back and for a variety of reasons have always come back to excel. I really like excel, so I am wondering why this planner is more functional than excel.

Thanks!

Do you mean, how is it more functional than Excel? It can populate lessons across your scheduled days automatically, even if they include text, it incorporates grading, and it has a checklist generation feature, which is mainly what I'm in search of for next year! That said, I suspect I may end up going back to HST+. DH likes it better, it will be less expensive in the long run, and if I can figure the darn thing out, it offers me more, ultimately. But if I can't, I'll be coming back to Scholaric for sure.

Do you mean, how is it more functional than Excel? It can populate lessons across your scheduled days automatically, even if they include text, it incorporates grading, and it has a checklist generation feature, which is mainly what I'm in search of for next year! That said, I suspect I may end up going back to HST+. DH likes it better, it will be less expensive in the long run, and if I can figure the darn thing out, it offers me more, ultimately. But if I can't, I'll be coming back to Scholaric for sure.

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you. Even after setting up a system I really like using excel I spent some time last week trying (again!) to learn HST+. I made more progress than I have in the past. I'm just not sure all that it offers is helpful. So, perhaps Scholaric is a good balance for me.

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you. Even after setting up a system I really like using excel I spent some time last week trying (again!) to learn HST+. I made more progress than I have in the past. I'm just not sure all that it offers is helpful. So, perhaps Scholaric is a good balance for me.

:lol: You sound like me. I've been using Excel for three years now, yet every time a new school year rolls around, there I am on all the e-planner sites, trying to see if one might work better this year. I'm trying to think long-term too, because I don't want to find myself teaching an 8th grader and suddenly wondering just how to use HST+ to make those transcripts look nice! I'd like to have something figured out long before then.

Good luck finding what you need!

I just started my 15 day trial, and I have a few questions for someone who is using it:

In what subject would you classify a worldview course? I'd like to call it "Worldview" with the course being Starting Points. But the only thing I could find in the subject list was "Religion". I'd like to call it what will eventually be on a transcript. Maybe "Religion" is what I should use?

Also, I was going to add Art of Argument as a course, but there isn't a "Logic" subject.

Does anyone have any ideas for me, or do you think I should email the developer about it?

Chez J, I will suggest a monthly view- I already asked him to add a yearly view to see where vacations lie, etc and he said it was a good idea. The program is still in the refining stages and I bet you will get your monthly view.

I have requested a yearly view too. :D

I emailed him (last night!) about being able to add subjects that weren't there, such as Logic, History, Worldview, and Bible. Also about changing the courses that I had already added under "Social Studies" to "History". Here is his reply (this morning!):

I have added these subjects, but also have changed my mind on the topic of restricting subjects. I believe my original reason for restricting this is no longer valid.

Also I moved your Social Studies courses to History.

He sure knows how to get things done!

I was able to figure out how to get all my students in the program. That was probably user error, trying to click to many buttons too quickly? I am using it with one child, basically because until I know that it is something I will use, I don't want to invest the time in adding everything, but so far it looks great and I LOVE that the developer is making it user friendly and using the feedback from actual homeschoolers to make it something that we actually need. I think the price is great too. It is more then the cost of a notebook and a pencil, but the convenience makes it cost efficient. I really hope this is the ONE.

• 3 weeks later...

He is really trying to make this work for everyone. He emailed me personally to ask me how it was going. I told him I couldn't use it without an annual view for planning. He asked to see what I had been doing. I sent him an excel spreadsheet I've used in the past. He is giving it some thought.

He is really trying to make this work for everyone. He emailed me personally to ask me how it was going. I told him I couldn't use it without an annual view for planning. He asked to see what I had been doing. I sent him an excel spreadsheet I've used in the past. He is giving it some thought.

I'm fooling around with this and it looks pretty good. One thing I don't see is a way to print out a week's worth of planning. I always do it by week's and that printout is kept in the boy's notebooks so they know everything that they are doing for the week.

I cannot email him since I don't have Outlook hooked up. If someone could forward that on it would be great.

Thanks!

There is. Click on the little arrow. It will give you a "popup" that lets you select weekly. Read through this whole thread. We've all posted little tips on how to do certain things, like sequencing, printing, and so much more.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done this for MUS? If please help me with the repeating thing.:bigear:

I haven't done it with MUS, but I've used the repeating feature. Is there something specific to MUS that you need, or can I help you in general? I used it for SOTW and RightStart lessons.

For repeating you need to put the number range in curly brackets. i.e. Lesson {1-85} then check the days of the week you want the lessons to appear on. For WWE I did Week {1-36} Day 1 and checked Monday, Week {1-36} Day 2 and checked Tuesday...ect

I don't use MUS, so I can't help with that specifically. I use Math Mammoth and it doesn't have sequentially numbered lessons, so I'll have to do it one lesson at time. Same with SOTW. I've been cutting pasting from the table of contents in the pdf's or online samples for those courses.

Edited by Tam101

Doesn't look like there is an option to delete (yet). If you e-mail him at the feedback/help link he is really quick to respond. He really wants to know how people are using the program and problems they find, so he can make it better. He should be able to delete the unwanted term for you. I noticed my coarses re-ordered themselves too. I would like to see an option change the order.

Doesn't look like there is an option to delete (yet). If you e-mail him at the feedback/help link he is really quick to respond. He really wants to know how people are using the program and problems they find, so he can make it better. He should be able to delete the unwanted term for you. I noticed my coarses re-ordered themselves too. I would like to see an option change the order.

I spent about 10 minutes on the thing and decided it's not the program for me. :D

• 2 months later...
There have been many added features to this recently. If you didn't like it before you may want to return and give it another look. You can reorder courses, share between students and various print options.

:iagree: I'm giving it another shot now. Still struggling a little bit, but it's more useful than it was months ago, that's for sure. Excel would probably still be easier for me, but I must have the checklist functionality, and I really want to get used to something that will provide me with transcripts ultimately. When he's finally able to implement the "bump back" functionality, I think it will be just about perfect for me! And I know he's working hard on it. He and I have been emailing back and forth while he tries to help me figure something out about how to make it most effective for me.

:iagree: I'm giving it another shot now. Still struggling a little bit, but it's more useful than it was months ago, that's for sure. Excel would probably still be easier for me, but I must have the checklist functionality, and I really want to get used to something that will provide me with transcripts ultimately. When he's finally able to implement the "bump back" functionality, I think it will be just about perfect for me! And I know he's working hard on it. He and I have been emailing back and forth while he tries to help me figure something out about how to make it most effective for me.

So what is bump back??:bigear:

I would like to see more suggestions about other excel templates or related other than Scholaric. I am trying it but to be honest I don't like being tied up to the Internet.

HST is like a database but I can't see how to visualise the whole week except as "assigments".

I am also looking for an excel thingy, so may I "bump!?

I would like to see more suggestions about other excel templates or related other than Scholaric. I am trying it but to be honest I don't like being tied up to the Internet.

HST is like a database but I can't see how to visualise the whole week except as "assigments".

I am also looking for an excel thingy, so may I "bump!?

I would start a new thread if I were you, I think it will get more attention than an older one. And I haven't found anything that's closer to working like Excel than Scholaric thus far. That's why I was so excited about it--it's the closest to the "just do what I tell you to do!" functionality of Excel that I've seen. If you find something else, I'd love to hear about it!