Menu

How many hours do you homeschool per day?

Including all breaks and all reading (which we do a lot of) we are at 4 hours a day. Now, before anyone jumps on me about that, I'd say only about 1.5 hours might be actual school work, like math or sit down type work. We have an hour total of breaks + lunch, plus about 1.5 hours of just reading, ours together and his alone.

30 minutes history reading together

30 minutes literature read aloud together

30 min of his independent reading (req for school, separate from his "on his own" reading)

We start around 9:30 a.m. and go until about 1:30 p.m.

My ds just turned seven, and just started his grade 2 work. I'd say we put in 1.5-3.5 hrs a day, and usually do a 4 day week. If he didn't have such a wiggly bum and wandering mind (ADHD), we could get through it much faster! This includes the core subjects, science, history, plus Bible, music, typing, and geography. I've been lax on history though, because I don't want to make his day any longer.

I started my 4yr old in K this month, and she does maybe an hour a day, and much of that is tagging along with her big brother on geography, science, and history. Phonics, handwriting and math take maybe 30mins total.

Grade 1 and Grade 3 right now and we spend 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon with a break in between. That includes everything such as PE and read alouds. We spend a lot of time on electives and only about 1/3 of our time is spent in seatwork. My kids prefer longer days with varied activities/subjects to shorter days with seatwork only.

These responses are interesting to read. This year we'll have one in 1st and one in K. I'm planning on about an hour a day on 3rs for my first grader and working up to 30 min for my ker. They'll do other stuff together (read alouds, history, music, science and pe) but I'll be less rigid about time. I'm trying to find a balance between content covered, time spent and progress made. Anybody have the magic formula;)

as far as efficiency, I understand the benefits of one on one tutoring time...though I think homeschools have their own "time wasters" for example in ps they generally don't have to deal with rogue two year olds running around during lessons.

We usually stretch it out, so about 4 hours for my preK's & Kinder. But thats because we read a story, then re-enact it, do some crafts about it etc.

If we left out all the playing, the Preks would be done in about 5 minutes rofl, and if I did did the K's bookwork, it would be about 20 minutes a day.

Then they just complain that they just want to do "more school" so I usually stick with our first option. After the crafts, they just play with each other till their getting bored, then I moved on to the next lesson :D

My kids are still at that age we're there absolutely fascinted by "school" though. DD5 went through 3 months of her maths in one day, and only stopped because I begged her rofl. And when they wanted we did an entire 3 days worth of our schedule in one day, and still had plenty of hours left over.

The rule of thumb I usually take (thanks to another person telling me a while ago) was that a homeschooler can do in about 10-15 minutes what a school can do in an hour. Hence why in the latter grades they bring so much homework home lol.:D