Menu

How many hours do you homeschool per day?

...and what grade are your children in?

We are getting everything done in 2-3 hours and my son is in the 3rd grade. Is this enough? I *feel* like we accomplish a lot during that time and that he is progressing wonderfully. We just live with ps'ers who in comparison do school for 7 hours. But I know its different when you are getting one on one.

Thanks!

2-4 hours for us four days a week for academics. This does not include classes outside the home. My kids are in 4th, 1st, K, PK. Obviously, my oldest works the longest and my K kids can get finished pretty quickly.

I think we do well. I taught PS for eleven years -- there is a lot of wasted time there. So, even though they're there for 7 hours doesn't mean they spend that amount of time on academics.

If you feel like you are accomplishing what you want to and can get it done quickly, I say :hurray:. I am also struggling with this. I have had to remind myself over and over that tutoring one on one makes things move so much faster. There is no wasted time doing busywork, standing in line, corraling kids to sit down and pay attention, etc. Plus, they eat lunch, have recess a couple of times, etc. This is actually one of the things that I am most excited about when it comes to homeschooling! We will have so much more time to just enjoy being a family. It sounds like you have a great situation!

My k'ers day varies. He has HFA and other issues so it depends on his level of attentivness. We just did an AMAZING math lesson that lasted an hour (lots on hands on) and he was still in the mood but I made him take a break. We will do phonics and some MFW worksheets yet today. Maybe more math- he has been really into math lately. So far today has BY FAR been the longest without a break so maybe he is turning a corner!

My 9 year old 3rd grader will do schoolwork anywhere from 3-5 hours (depending on how much daydreaming/staying off task she does)

And my moody 13 year old 7th grader is a whole different creature :glare: She *can* get her work done in 5-6 hours if she puts forth the effort. But most of the time she will drag it out to all day. For a while I caved but now I make her do it until its done because I am seeing this as a test from her. I KNOW she can easily have her work done in 5 hours but if she chooses to drag it out then it will take til 10-11pm. I am more stubborn than she is :glare: :D I PRAY she gets over this phase soon!

Right now, we're doing about 60-90 minutes four days a week, and then maybe 30-45 minutes on Friday. DS just started second-grade work and at this point we're mainly focusing on language arts and math. We usually also do a short history reading each day (generally nothing more elaborate than that), and on Fridays we do science (either a unit from Real Science Odyssey or a trip to the science center or, if I'm feeling really lazy, a couple of Mythbusters episodes. ;))

I'll probably start upping the time in September--giving him more writing (right now I mostly transcribe), adding in some art and music, doing an extra page of math--once we've adjusted to the new baby, but for now, since summer is coming and DS's friends are all going to be around, I feel like spending about 90 minutes a day on the basics is sufficient. Ideally I'd like to get us doing about 2 to 2-1/2 hours a day in the fall, though.

3 to 4, usually. But my daughter has some significant struggles and ADHD so just staying on task is pretty challenging. I'd bet a fourth of that time is spent dealing with melt-downs, listening to her rant and rave, etc. LOL So probably 3 hours of actual schoolwork.

We're doing 2nd grade.

1-2 hours for my advanced K-er, assuming you don't count the three hours a day he spends reading.

3.5 to 5 hours a day for my 3rd grader, longer on content days when we're doing science experiments or history projects, shorter on days when we have classes.

For us, ds7 twins in first grade we do about three hours a day. That seems like a lot, after reading the responses, but we take a lot of short breaks during that time and I read a lot of books for them. Math takes us about an hour to an hour and a half on most days, and language arts is about and hour or so, and history is usually about a half hour and art is about a half hour.

Depending on their need for breaks we can get it done in a morning.

I PRAY she gets over this phase soon!

Good luck. I remember that phase. Fortunantly my mother was pretty stubborn too. Guess that's where I got it from!

Lasr year my oldest was in Public School 4th grade in a fairly good system in a suburb of Birmigham, AL. We took his schedule and questioned him on all the details of his day. We spent a few weeks asking him to really pay attention to the clock on specific things and report back to us. What we finally came up with is that during his 7 hours school day, he was getting about 2.5-3 hours of direct instruction and the rest was working independently (with teacher assistance obviously available if needed) and the rest was waiting/reading/lunch/snack/PE/art/music etc.)

So this year we start our day around 8:30 with Bible and finish up by 1. However, that includes a 20-25 minute driving time to take youngest to preschool. They also take a snack break and we eat lunch from 12:00-12:30 and finish up the day with a read loud. I'm homeschooling 2 kids, so each kid also gets some downtime during there while I'm working with the other if he is stuck or waiting for me to complete something.

We are getting everything done in 2-3 hours and my son is in the 3rd grade. Is this enough? I *feel* like we accomplish a lot during that time and that he is progressing wonderfully. We just live with ps'ers who in comparison do school for 7 hours. But I know its different when you are getting one on one.

Thanks!

2-3 hours here, too, for a 2nd grader (and our schedule will be similar for 3rd grade, 3 hours most days). I don't include reading time, though (either read aloud or reading alone). We school 4x per week, year round.

And even though school kids are *at* school 7 hours doesn't mean they do schoolwork for 7 hours. ;) You are absolutely right about the quality of HSing time!

I know this is going to sound like a clueless question :001_unsure:, but for those of you with K/1st graders: what do you (or specifically your dc) do with the time after formal lessons?

I usually do Bible, phonics, cursive writing, Mandarin, Math/Science and that takes us from breakfast to lunch (3h), which already sounds pretty long for a 5-year old. During the second half of the day, I make some attempt at read-alouds but there's only so much he'll take in one sitting. He'd probably play with Duplo and building toys the whole day if I'd let him.

I consider the 3Rs as the core of the schedule, but I've been pondering if I should become more organized for the rest of the day and cover topics like Music, Art, History, Geography, Nature Study more systematically (with activities and wonderful projects like some WTMers post here) . Or, back off because it's too much. :confused1:

2-3 hours/day

We are finishing the K year for my 6yo dc. We do math every day, they read to me most days and then depending on the day of week we do FLL (3x), Spelling Workout (1 lesson, 2 review days), Spanish (2x, an hour each), Art/Music (1x), plus occasional science experiments and copywork - both of which are winding down as we get to summer.

We do reading and math in the morning before leaving the breakfast table (sometimes I squeeze in language also). Most days we spend about an hour on that and then another hour later the day on whatever rotating topic we have scheduled for that day.

I would say that's about right. We school for several hours, but not everyone is doing school work that whole time. My kids are all 4th grade and under. I'm expecting my upcoming 5th grader will be spending more time in school next year.

And my moody 13 year old 7th grader is a whole different creature :glare: She *can* get her work done in 5-6 hours if she puts forth the effort. But most of the time she will drag it out to all day. For a while I caved but now I make her do it until its done because I am seeing this as a test from her. I KNOW she can easily have her work done in 5 hours but if she chooses to drag it out then it will take til 10-11pm. I am more stubborn than she is :glare: :D I PRAY she gets over this phase soon!

LOL! :lol: Yes kids can be so stubborn, can't they?! I see it already in my 13month old :glare:...But I'm encouraged there are other moms who are NOT giving in on important battles and can win the game of chicken with their kids! :tongue_smilie:

During the second half of the day, I make some attempt at read-alouds but there's only so much he'll take in one sitting. He'd probably play with Duplo and building toys the whole day if I'd let him.

Nice kinesthetic learner. I've got one who doesn't much care for read alouds that are not science related, but he does like to play with his building things while he listens to read-aloud books on CD.

I encourage a lot of outdoor play for both my boys as much as possible. Sometimes it is the unstructured time spent chasing the chickens, playing with the dog and climbing up the maple tree that makes being a homeschooler so great.

I also keep art supplies out at all time (even though I have to pick up so much waste paper!) and this gives them plenty of things to do for fine motor skills too.

I know this is going to sound like a clueless question :001_unsure:, but for those of you with K/1st graders: what do you (or specifically your dc) do with the time after formal lessons?

I usually do Bible, phonics, cursive writing, Mandarin, Math/Science and that takes us from breakfast to lunch (3h), which already sounds pretty long for a 5-year old. During the second half of the day, I make some attempt at read-alouds but there's only so much he'll take in one sitting. He'd probably play with Duplo and building toys the whole day if I'd let him.

I consider the 3Rs as the core of the schedule, but I've been pondering if I should become more organized for the rest of the day and cover topics like Music, Art, History, Geography, Nature Study more systematically (with activities and wonderful projects like some WTMers post here) . Or, back off because it's too much. :confused1:

Well, when we're not doing sit-down lessons, my daughter is:

Going swimming

At the playground

Playing board games

Playing with Playmobil

At a museum

On a playdate

Using the computer

Watching a documentary

Drawing

Writing

At Karate

Learning with other kids in some kind of class/co-op/club

At the zoo

Doing a science activity

Etc.

I don't have a problem with her playing all afternoon, if we don't have other plans. Play is an important learning activity for kids.

Probably 1/2 - 1 hour of actual sit down and work for K. That includes phonics, reading aloud stories, and math and it is broken up over the course of the day into smallish increments of about 15ish minutes. Math sometimes takes a little longer.

I'm planning on 1-2 hours daily for first grade with a very light load for Fridays (just math and Phonics Road on that day).

Kids need play. It's good for them--intellectually, socially, physically. On days we don't have a field trip, play date, or etc. scheduled my kids are free to play, explore, read, draw, listen to stories, etc. I don't schedule formal stuff. I do follow their lead in exploring interests.

My first grader:

Math --30 to 40 minutes

FLL/WWE alternatingdays -- 15 minutes

Handwriting -- 10 minutes

Phonics -- 15 minutes

Reading to Mom or self -- 20-30 minutes

Spelling -- 15 minutes

History or Science -- maybe 30 minutes a day

I would guess it averages about 2.5 hours each day.

My third grader:

Math -- 45 minutes

Writing -- 20 minutes

Grammar -- 15 minutes

Cursive -- 15 minutes

History or Science -- 30 minutes per day

French -- 15 -20 minutes

I would say 2.5 hours each day on academics, plus all his own reading which is usually from 1 to 2 hours a day, and violin for 30-60 minutes a day.

I'm going to say it takes 4 hours for my rising 3rd grader. I think this is alot - but she doesn't transition well between tasks so she usually runs off and I have to call her back. She makes the day longer than it would have to be, and I must confess I can easily get distracted with household stuff. She has gotten much better working independently on a task, but as soon as she's finished, she's gone. I'm hoping as she matures, she can stay focused between tasks. When she is on task, she focuses wonderfully.

Kids need play. It's good for them--intellectually, socially, physically. On days we don't have a field trip, play date, or etc. scheduled my kids are free to play, explore, read, draw, listen to stories, etc. I/QUOTE]

Well, when we're not doing sit-down lessons, my daughter is:

[long list of activities]

I don't have a problem with her playing all afternoon, if we don't have other plans. Play is an important learning activity for kids.

I encourage a lot of outdoor play for both my boys as much as possible. Sometimes it is the unstructured time spent chasing the chickens, playing with the dog and climbing up the maple tree that makes being a homeschooler so great.

I also keep art supplies out at all time (even though I have to pick up so much waste paper!) and this gives them plenty of things to do for fine motor skills too.

Thanks, Critterfixer, sbgrace and skueppers! Those are great ideas. My challenge has been to give him things he can do by himself, because of the baby (DD, 1 year). Right now, it's mostly Duplo and building toys since he doesn't seem so strong at fine motor skills (cutting, drawing) and with board games/science activities, I would need to play along or read the instructions. Guess I just need to hold the baby and play/do along!

We usually do about 3 hours in the morning (almost 4 if you count our bike ride/walk). Sometimes we finish by then but sometimes they still have another 1-2 hours of school. This doesn't include any field trips or outside stuff. We usually do this 4x a week and on Friday have a light day.

My rugrats are in 5th, 3rd, and two in 2nd grade. Also, a toddler watch.

Kids need play. It's good for them--intellectually, socially, physically. On days we don't have a field trip, play date, or etc. scheduled my kids are free to play, explore, read, draw, listen to stories, etc. I don't schedule formal stuff. I do follow their lead in exploring interests.

:iagree: and I think it applies to children older than K/1, as well.

Thanks!

I think that is perfect for a third grader. That's about how much time I spent with my daughter last year when she was in fourth grade. This year she's in fifth and it's tending to be more like 3-4 hours.

6 hours of actual school (not counting lunch or night time reading but this does count reading that I make them sit down and do). My kids are in 2nd and 4th grade. I'm always startled at people doing school for only a few hours at the lower grades. My daughters were both in school starting in kindergarten from 8:30 to 3:00. They went to a private school that believed in wasting as little time as possible and working efficiently. :) This is our first year at home and they don't find it a strain to be doing school well into the afternoon. In fact, it's a more relaxed atmosphere because they can lay on the couch, sit on the floor, etc.

But hey, if you're moving forward and progressing well, it works for you. Not saying everyone should put in as many hours. :)

I'm always startled at people doing school for only a few hours at the lower grades.

That's funny, because I always wonder how people can manage to fill 3+ hours of instructional time for their 1st and 2nd graders. I feel like we do a good amount of work, and unless DS has a really terrible attitude and spends lots of time complaining, we very, very rarely go for more than 90 minutes.

That's funny, because I always wonder how people can manage to fill 3+ hours of instructional time for their 1st and 2nd graders. I feel like we do a good amount of work, and unless DS has a really terrible attitude and spends lots of time complaining, we very, very rarely go for more than 90 minutes.

:) Maybe my kids work slowly? I don't know, I feel like we use our time fairly efficiently, though some days are frustrating with the amount of goofing off. But I also don't drag out a subject forever if a kid is having a hard time concentrating on it. Sometimes it's not your day for math, you know? If she's spent 45 minutes on it and only done half of what I wanted, I'm not going to make her sit for another 45 minutes. We'll just move on with our day and be glad that at least some math got done. And maybe that's a bad strategy, because here I nearing the end of our year and my 4th grader is behind (where I want her to be) in math and having to work extra to catch up.

I agree with people earlier in the thread that play is important as well. I do make them play in the afternoon after school. It's hard because they are always asking to turn on the wii or watch a movie or something, and I want them to do something active. If they're too squirmy, I'll make them take a five minute break and jump on the trampoline.

We do about 4 hours a day 4 days a week we go year round but take breaks often. My dd loves to talk and ask questions and get off track; something we are trying to work on. I have to say in previous years we did lots of workbooks and we completed school work in 2 hours having switched to more TWTM method IMO I think takes more time. I don't mind I'm learning too.

I'd say average 90 minutes for K, including cello practice. Sometimes we go a bit longer with a project, and of course we do lots of other educational things during the day (my son reads for hours, for example), but that's our official School Time. 6 days a week, and we will be continuing through the summer, although we have to take off a few weeks in July for a move. I think it's just perfect for us and couldn't be more delighted with how things have gone so far.

Next year we will probably go slightly longer, but I actively resist the urge to fill up the days with a lot of Mom-directed stuff.

Edited by JennyD

We school 6 days a week. We spend time every week at the library and with other homeschool families. We also visit local museums several times a month. Below I have listed only what we do at home.

Group Work- 1.5-2 hours

-includes: Art, Devotions/Read Alouds, Art/Music Appreciation, History, Geography, and Science*

Individual Work- K- 30-45 minutes, 3rd- 1-1.5 hours

-includes: Spelling/Phonics, Math, Grammar, Handwriting, Piano, Writing, and their individual pursuits

Outside Time- 2-3 hours

-includes Exercise and Nature Study

*Devotions/Read Alouds are the only things that are done daily. Art, History and Science are each 2x/week. Art/Music Appreciation is 1x/week. Geography is 4x/week.

The only change to our schedule for next year is adding Latin for the oldest. I anticipate each child adding 15-20 minutes to their work time next year.

Well, next year's first semester schedule runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for me with 1 1/2 hrs for lunch. That's with three "doing school" (5th/3rd/K). Edited to add that we only school four days per week (4x/wk).

The K'er will have about 45 min of "school-y" subjects + fun activities 3x per week (like cooking class or crafts). = 1.5 hrs

The 3rd grader will do about 2 hrs of work in the morning & then 3 hrs in the afternoon w/our history "unit study" and BF History of Science stuff. This will include lots of read alouds & some hands-on stuff. = 5 hrs

The 5th grader has another 45 minutes in the morning and will probably average about 45 minutes of "homework" of math or writing homework daily and will do another hour or so of reading in the evening (fun or assigned). = 7.5 hrs

Edited by RootAnn
forgot to mention we only school 4x/wk

• 1 month later...

My about to be 7th grader has struggled w/ dyslexia, but now I think he has most of the reading issues down to where he is functional. I just added up his day for next year, and it's about 7 hours of work. I'm the queen of "overscheduling" and want to make sure it's reasonable

Bible- 1 hour (Bible Study Guide for All Ages and Plants Grown Up)

Math-1 hour

history/science (every other day) 1 hour

Literature Guide to Lord of the Rings--1 chapter a week...I THINK this will take about 3 hours?

LLATL Tan 30 min?

typing instructor-20 minutes a day

Building Thinking Skills /Health 30 minutes

We generally leave Friday for Math, projects and Art...and any catch up or reviewing w/ mom....

His third grade brother is planned to have only slightly less....am I expecting too much?

1-2 hours for my advanced K-er, assuming you don't count the three hours a day he spends reading.

Ditto. It also doesn't include any time that I spend reading aloud or other activities that come up during the day, including computer time on occasion (Math Whizz, etc which is usually about 30 minutes itself). I don't think we ever get to 2 hours though...1 hour on average is much more accurate. This year, first grade, we might be getting closer to the 2 hour mark on some days, but will still likely average out to about 1-1.5 hours most days.