Menu

Veritas Press Catalogue just came...what are you drooling over?

Sevilla

I don't have much experience with VP products but some of the books in their catalogue sound excellent - especially the art and literature offerings.

Anyone have reviews of the things they've liked or disliked from that company? How dogmatic are their materials from a Reformed perspective?

Everything. :lol:

(And I just replied to the post about spending too much on homeschooling. ;))

I am trying to decide if I want to use their lit guides next year. I used one this year and one the previous year. We enjoyed both, but not sure if that is the route I want to continue. They also have several Latin readers/books that I plan on buying in the near future.

I get totally sucked into my catalogs! I end up making huge reading lists from them to make me feel better since I can't order EVERYTHING in them!

Thankfully, I've finally found curricula that works for us and I love so that helps the "I need it all" feeling:D BUT I am dying over Omnibus - ds is in 7th next year so we could start and do them ALL:lol: I've read the threads on Omnibus and my homeschooling style would probably keep the text on the shelf BUT I want it!

I have literally been carrying around my catalog for days - reading it over and over in bed, at swim practice, waiting in line, everywhere. The last thing I need to be doing is subscribing to this thread;)

:lol:

I have totally been carrying mine around all over the place. I am mostly going to order a bunch of the third grade literature guides. I have been trying to find as much of those and the books used. It does say in the back that they will price match though:).

Everything. :lol:

(And I just replied to the post about spending too much on homeschooling. ;))

I am trying to decide if I want to use their lit guides next year. I used one this year and one the previous year. We enjoyed both, but not sure if that is the route I want to continue. They also have several Latin readers/books that I plan on buying in the near future.

I was wondering more about their lit guides. Could you share pros/cons?

anyone care to explain VP history and Bible to me. I am utterly confused and have searched yielding no answers. thanks!

Well, VP can be as little or as much as you want it to be. You read a card a week and use as many of the resources as you want from the back of the card.

I have literally been carrying around my catalog for days - reading it over and over in bed, at swim practice, waiting in line, everywhere. The last thing I need to be doing is subscribing to this thread;)

I love it! I am looking at all the science bios for dd next year in 8th and doing the history of science.

I also like adding books to my library that I will not find at the local library. So I want a bunch of the ancient history for 2 yrs from now. [what can I say, I like to plan ahead. :D]

Then there is the Spielvogel Western Civilizaiont that I found out yesterday I can get for a lot less $ online. [Thanks WTM ladies!]

Mostly, I just want to buy it all one time and have it sitting on my shelf. :lol:

Gack! I forgot to change my addy at VP. :tongue_smilie:

Now that that's done, I love the VP catalog. I mark in it and keep it on my desk all school year. :001_wub: We're rarely disappointed in their recommendations.

I went up to their warehouse event last weekend... came home with 3 boxes of books and curricula, and got home and realized I forgot to purchase 5 other books!

So, I'm currently "set" on VP until next year, when we dive into Omnibus!

Veritas Press is my all time favorite catalog!!!!! :001_smile::001_smile: There are many to love but there's just something about the VP. I think it is the "ideal" that I have in my mind & heart for my homeschool....Omnibus.....rigorous classical ed.....Latin.....Greek.....gobs of fabulous literature.....gobs of memory work......and their enthusiasm that seeps off of every page.

I definitely love my VP catalog.

Oh it's so nice to see I'm NOT the only one carrying around Veritas Press catalog. I have never ordered anything from them, but want to this year. So many things...so little money. Sighhh. I AM doing the cards though. Most definitely. For those that do the cards do you choose the bible ones or the history ones or both? DD's 7 will be in 2nd.

Janelle

We have the history but there are bible events - esp. in the beginning.

Creation, Fall in the Garden, Cain and Abel, the Flood, Tower of Babel, +Joseph, + Moses, + Jesus.

I'm guessing there are more bible ones in that specific set but history does incorporate bible events.

*I'm referring to the VP card set - not sure if I made that clear the first time around.

Edited by elfinbaby
add

I am planning SOTW 1 with lots of books (many of the VP ones) is there a way to order just the cards and songs? I am pretty sure my schedule is set, so don't necessarily need the TM, but the I love the cards idea and the songs intrigue me . . . Thanks!

I am very much considering going straight VP for Bible/History next year. Are there any samples of the TM?

I am considering the Bible for this year as well. . . anyone done the 1st grade Bible? We did our own thing this year and it looks similar to their K, so I think we would be on track for their first.

I always use VP as a guide for curr/lit, but thinking maybe I might be interested in more. :)

I went back and forth for several years about if I would start Omnibus with my 7th grader. I ultimately decided to do 4 years of Truthquest in the WTM way and then AP courses with Penn. Homeschoolers for English and History/Gov/Econ. My decision was mostly based on what I know my top state school wants to see. I'm a classical homeschooling cop out!

Now that I see all the complete Omnibus volumes I'm experiencing some angst! If I could go back with lots of courage to rebel against college recommendations - I would consider the self paced history classes then 6 years of Omnibus.

Still, I'm happy with Truthquest - we have years to read all the "good books" and they will still have their entire lives to self educate with the "great books". As Omnibus volumes become more commonly available used, I'll buy them for self-education!!

LOL, I join the ranks of those carrying around that catalog - folding pages, marking selections, going over the lists again and again. Love it!

That is, once I got over the initial despair because my kids are about a year behind the VP schedule in some subjects. :(

I decided to do Omnibus III for ds1, who will be entering 8th grade, but we are up to modern history in our sequence, so I didn't want to revert. Our study will be a little out of order - III, I, II, IV, V, VI (I think we can get all six in, we school year round).

The one thing I do wonder about, though, is whether Omnibus is really necessary for all those years? That many credits in theology and literature seems like overkill, based on what I've gleaned from most college admissions requirements. I have to be careful that I'm not imposing my own passions and interests onto my kids.

Don't you LOVE those pictures of the stacks of resources for grammar stage? Makes me want to buy the whole package for my coming 6th grader.

I went back and forth for several years about if I would start Omnibus with my 7th grader. I ultimately decided to do 4 years of Truthquest in the WTM way and then AP courses with Penn. Homeschoolers for English and History/Gov/Econ. My decision was mostly based on what I know my top state school wants to see. I'm a classical homeschooling cop out!

Now that I see all the complete Omnibus volumes I'm experiencing some angst! If I could go back with lots of courage to rebel against college recommendations - I would consider the self paced history classes then 6 years of Omnibus.

I didn't see your post before I made mine. You've touched on what I was concerned about, as well. :)

The literature and history credits don't bother me so much but four classes in Theology on a transcript. I am a little concerned that they'll wonder what I was thinking;)

Gooblink - I'm considering starting w/Omnibus III, too. Ds will kill me if I make him go back to the Ancients after get stuck there for 2 yrs. I'm interested in qualifying ds for the highest level diploma (and I gotta get him squared away now, of course) so I called VP yesterday to inquire if it made a difference if I did Omnibus out of order (I read that the first three are all written on the same level). I'm still waiting for someone to call me back. Can anyone answer my question? I would do III, I, II, then the rest in order. I just want to know if he'll still be able to qualify for the diploma program. I don't see why not?

The literature and history credits don't bother me so much but four classes in Theology on a transcript. I am a little concerned that they'll wonder what I was thinking;)

Gooblink - I'm considering starting w/Omnibus III, too. Ds will kill me if I make him go back to the Ancients after get stuck there for 2 yrs. I'm interested in qualifying ds for the highest level diploma (and I gotta get him squared away now, of course) so I called VP yesterday to inquire if it made a difference if I did Omnibus out of order (I read that the first three are all written on the same level). I'm still waiting for someone to call me back. Can anyone answer my question? I would do III, I, II, then the rest in order. I just want to know if he'll still be able to qualify for the diploma program. I don't see why not?

I did speak to someone at VP who told me it was just fine to start with III, then go back and do I and II. However, I didn't phrase the question with the diploma program in mind. I can't imagine it would be an issue, though. When I asked if I could alter the order of study, she said, 'absolutely!'

HTH. :)

That is, once I got over the initial despair because my kids are about a year behind the VP schedule in some subjects. :(

I waskinda shocked to see that they recommend Saxon 2 for 1st grade. Eek! My Dd will be in MM 1B in first grade....hmmmm.... The catalog does, however, make me rethink my grammar plans. I was considering not beginning formal grammar until 3rd grade, but if I want to do VP (still not sure) then she would be behind and may struggle with the Latin. :confused:

I waskinda shocked to see that they recommend Saxon 2 for 1st grade. Eek! My Dd will be in MM 1B in first grade....hmmmm.... The catalog does, however, make me rethink my grammar plans. I was considering not beginning formal grammar until 3rd grade, but if I want to do VP (still not sure) then she would be behind and may struggle with the Latin. :confused:

My loyal Saxon using girlfriend says the lower levels are about a grade behind. (Don't shoot the messenger if that's wrong; I've never looked at one. :))

And, First Language Lessons, a really gentle, 3 times a week course, would more than prepare you for either Latin path you take with VP. :)

My loyal Saxon using girlfriend says the lower levels are about a grade behind. (Don't shoot the messenger if that's wrong; I've never looked at one. :))

And, First Language Lessons, a really gentle, 3 times a week course, would more than prepare you for either Latin path you take with VP. :)

FLL is kinda what I was thinking. I may just use it as a tool to apply to our copywork.

The Saxon books are behind, in my opinion. I started my girls in Kindergarten with Saxon 1. My oldest will be in 3rd next year and will start Saxon 54. And I am a pretty laid back homeschooler. :)

That's good to know, but we didn't do formal math in K so I'm fighting the "behind" feeling. :D

Oh it's so nice to see I'm NOT the only one carrying around Veritas Press catalog. I have never ordered anything from them, but want to this year. So many things...so little money. Sighhh. I AM doing the cards though. Most definitely. For those that do the cards do you choose the bible ones or the history ones or both? DD's 7 will be in 2nd.

Janelle

I have the history sets, but am thinking of buying the Bible sets also

LOL, I join the ranks of those carrying around that catalog - folding pages, marking selections, going over the lists again and again. Love it!

So is my ds, but I absolutely refuse to let it stop me :lol:. Next year we are planning to use the VP yr. 3 literature (because he's in third grade) and we'll be using VP's Exp.-1815 (the year 5 history) with younger readers books, he's also going to be just starting Song School Latin (which they recommend for 2nd grade).