Menu

How should I cook a pork loin for shredded sandwiches?

I have a 1/2 pork loin that needs to be cooked today. We were going to grill it up the other day, but dh didn't feel like it, I sliced it, hammered & breaded it and made pork tenderloin with some. I need to use the rest up today and was thinking of cooking it and shredding it. Choices, I could grill it up (charcoal grill), covered?, uncovered? or crock pot it (which it always seems to come out dry.) I need to do something that I can do earlier today and then have it ready for dinner when I get home (working from 3-6) So what would be the best way to cook this up?

Thanks,

Phlox

well this is how I do it:

take 1 onion and cut in into fourths

put it in the bottom of the crockpot

put the pork on top of it

in a bowl combine one bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and one can of cranberries (whole not the jelly)

Pour it over the pork

cook on low for about 8 hours

shred pork with a fork and serve on buns

DE-LISH!!

Crock pot w/bbq sauce should do the trick, although I've never tried this after your method of preparation. I would think it would still work though.

:iagree: I just throw it in the crockpot, put some chopped onions on it and squirt in some BBQ sauce. Cook on high 4-6 hrs or low 8 hrs and it's yummy.

Personally, I think it ruins it to cook it in the sauce. I'd cook it in the slow cooker with an onion and a tiny bit of liquid, then add the bbq sauce after you shred the pork. This recipe is simple and easy.

My all-time favorite pulled pork recipe is a Southern Living recipe for Slow-Roasted Pork. It has a rather involved ingredient list. But I highly recommend it (when you have a little more time).

Here's another vote for the crockpot! Add 1 can of beef broth and about 1C of apple juice. Cook on high for about 6 hours. Take it out and shred it (mine always just falls apart). Then add your fav bbq sauce! My fam always likes it this way!

Although I must say, I will be trying the method given by Heather in NC - sounds yummy!!

Personally, I think it ruins it to cook it in the sauce. I'd cook it in the slow cooker with an onion and a tiny bit of liquid, then add the bbq sauce after you shred the pork.

This is what we have always done. However, we had delicious pork sandwiches at a friend's house. I asked for the recipe and was shocked to find out that it had been cooked overnight with onion in a bottle of COKE! The next morning, she drained off the coke and shredded it and added the BBQ sauce. (We had lunch) It was yummy!

Crockpot method here, too. But if you really want the meat to be moist you need a fattier meat like a pork butt/shoulder roast. I just throw that into the crockpot with some water. By the end of the day it's just falling apart and moist. I let everyone add their own bbq sauce.

I just made this yesterday, and in the past I did use a regular crockpot, but my crockpot cooks hot (I think all the newer ones do). I recently purchased this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-4816-12G-6-Quart-Porcelain-Cookwell/dp/B003I4F6NG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305815788&sr=8-2

It is about the same size as my crockpot, but has adjustable temps, so I can cook very low and slow (or high). I had the pork roast in there at about 200F for most of the day, then turned the roaster off, and let the meat rest before shredding it. After shredding, I put it back in on low to just keep in warm, and let everyone put their own BBQ sauce on their sandwiches.