Menu

So, why would I want to spend an extra $500+ for a front-load washer

I think my washer died today, and I'll have to replace it.

Unless, someone knows of a reason it would be leaking upon filling.

I'm curious what is so great (expensive) about font-loading washers.

Thanks,

LC

Well, when my washer died about 3 years ago, we wound up buying a front loader. I was skeptical because it was more expensive than the top loaders, but dh wanted it.

Can I just say ... I LOVE IT!

Sorry for shouting, but really - it doesn't use as much water, and with an iffy septic, that's key. It also holds much more (almost two loads worth), and seems to get the clothes cleaner. I do buy the HE detergent, which is a little more expensive, but it works out to be the same or less than I was spending with the old one because I can wash so many more clothes per load. If you are able to , I'd go with a good front loader. If not, your clothes will still get clean:D

Well, water usage for one. Your normal top loading washing machine uses about 40 gallons of water compared to 6-10ish for the front loaders.

A friend saw her water bill drop from $75 to $40 when she got hers. It's STILL that low over a year later!

They get the clothes cleaner, you can do more in a load.....

You'd have to tear my FL away from me - i won't ever own any other kind!

BUT, i'm sorry yours died today. I hate having to make these choices under pressure.

Yep, echo those statements above.

check Best Buy.

They had a front loader for $450 something. It has lowered our water bill and though I've not noticed it holds that many more clothes, it does use less detergent.

We got the extended warranty so for three years, we're covered no matter what AND they'll promise next day repairman to your home.

Awesome customer service there!

It wasn't near as much as I thought it would be to switch.

HOWEVER, there is one down side.

I'm 37 weeks prego - huge belly.

IT IS PAINFUL to load and unload that puppy! THe kids do it now so I guess in the long run it's better all around. :)

I am going to be the dissenting vote here.

I had a front load washer (a Kenmore) a few years ago and I did not like it. The main reason was that mold grew under the door gasket and it really smelled bad. To eliminate the problem I was told to leave the door open (not possible since it is located in a closet) and would have to clean the gasket out (like I really want to wash my washing machine). I think some brands are better than others on this mold issue. I would really check this out before purchasing one.

It also seemed to take longer to do laundry, the wash cycles were longer than the washer I had before. Instead of taking about 1 1/2 hours to do a load of laundry it took well over 2 hours and the clothes seemed to be more wrinkled (this may be more of a dryer problem, than washer).

I really wanted to like a front load, it just didn't work for me. I am much happier with my top load washer.

I LOVE mine. Mine is an LG Combo...it washes and dries all in one. It takes 3-4 hours to do a load, but the water and power usage (I think it's gas, not sure) has gone down. It holds BIG loads, and our clothes last longer; they don't wear as much with it. I think it just tumbles them instead of that agitating thing. I use regular detergent, about 1/4 as much. And the kids load it for me most of the time :D.

I've had mine a month, loads are larger, and the clothes dry really fast. I usually hang out clothes. I know thats really old fashion but I love it. When it rains I use the dryer. The dryer time has been cut way down I can put jeans in the dryer and they are dry in 35 min with my other washer it took the dryer about 1 hour and 30 mins. I love this washer. I got the Whirlpool duet. I am still using my older maytag dryer. It is well worth the money. You cut water usuage and electric because of decrease dryer time. Oh as for mildew, mine has a cleaning cycle you run 3/4 cup of clorox once a month, and you just need to keep the door slightly open.

I am not all that thrilled with ours. We have had it for a little over a year.

You can NOT wash a lot of jeans or towels..ours sounds like a jet warming up for take off when it has to many clothes. It smells when I haven't washed clothes in a day or two.

It takes a long time to wash clothes!

Can those of you with front loaders share what size washer you chose to buy? I was looking at these today at Home Depot, and was quite surprised by the difference in price for what seems like a small increase in cubic capacity. The LG 3.6 cu.ft model was $700, the 4.0 cu ft model was $1000, and the 4.2 cu ft model was $1400! Twice as much money for .6 cu ft difference, though there were some added features. Is it worth it to buy the larger sized washer?

A follow-up question: Can you add things to the wash after it has started like you can with a regular washer or dryer? We frequently need to add in an item or two right as something has begun to wash, so this could be a big deal for us.

Thanks,

LC

I have the LG Ultra Capacity front-loader washer and dryer. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. The washer cleans SO MUCH better than a regular washer even my husband noticed. The dryer is super-fast.

You can open the washer and add something but only for a certain amount of time. After a certain point water would go everywhere if you opened the door so the washer locks it at that point.

We bought the floor model at our local Best Buy and I'm fairly certain we paid $1000 for the set.

I hate mine. I had a top loader previously. The FL collects water and leaves a mildew smell if I don't keep the door ajar(and sometimes even if I do. I'll take a top loader any day!

I posted this in another thread but I'm going to paste it here too in case it would be helpful to you! :)

Yes, this can be a general problem with front-loaders. We had this problem at one time. I read extensively from repairmen and such and gleaned some knowledge on the problem. To help keep it at bay I follow these rules:

1. Use soap made for HE washers, it creates fewer suds and apparently that is key.

2. Don't use too much soap, you don't need as much.

3. I don't use fabric softener (allergies) so I put a little vinegar in the fabric softener cup and some baking soda in the pre-wash cup.

4. About once a month I run a super-hot cycle with no soap and a little bleach.

5. Keep the door open between uses.

We haven't had any smell or mildew or anything since I started this routine. It kind of sounds like a lot of work but it's really not. It honestly gets my clothes SO much cleaner than any other washer I've had.

We got ours three years ago and cannot believe how much money it has saved us. We use very little detergent and bleach and the water use has been cut down tremendously. Not to mention, the decreased drying time- some things just skip the dryer all together because they are almost dry when they come out of the washer. Our clothes hold up much better with less wear and tear. I can wash comforters, sleeping bags, and large blankets. I could go on and on. They are great and I will never go back.

A follow-up question: Can you add things to the wash after it has started like you can with a regular washer or dryer? We frequently need to add in an item or two right as something has begun to wash, so this could be a big deal for us.

Thanks,

LC

We have a Kenmore that's a few years old; maybe this is not the case w/other or newer models. Do check the Consumer Reports review at your library if you can. Frequently the "best buy" is below the average price in the appliance group.

I am going to be the dissenting vote here.

I had a front load washer (a Kenmore) a few years ago and I did not like it. The main reason was that mold grew under the door gasket and it really smelled bad. To eliminate the problem I was told to leave the door open (not possible since it is located in a closet) and would have to clean the gasket out (like I really want to wash my washing machine). I think some brands are better than others on this mold issue. I would really check this out before purchasing one.

I wasn't going to read this thread -- if my washer goes out I'll probably have to use a washboard -- but now I'm glad I did. I've heard some complaints about front-loaders, but this was never one of them. My washer and dryer are in a closet, too, and there's no room to leave the door open.

My top loader STINKS! I can *not* get this kid to close *anything* but for some reason he feels compelled to constantly close the washer! (Yes! He *opens* the closet, *closes* the washer, and then leaves the closet door *open*!!!) ARGH! I spent this last weekend with baking soda and vinegar and everything I could think of to try to get the stink out of it, to no avail.

Since it's almost 20 years old, Sweetie has been making "let me buy you a washer" noises. But I can't see spending that kind of money just because the one we have smells. But at least now I *can* tell him not to surprise me with a front-loader! Thanks! :D

I am not all that thrilled with ours. We have had it for a little over a year.

You can NOT wash a lot of jeans or towels..ours sounds like a jet warming up for take off when it has to many clothes. It smells when I haven't washed clothes in a day or two.

It takes a long time to wash clothes!

I had one in England -- in our home provided by the military. I could never do more than 3 pairs of jeans at a time -- but I assumed it was because it was "England" -- even though it said it was ultra-large capacity.

The smell was horrendous! And we used the manufacturers suggested soaps. And the door was always left open.

All our non-iron clothing, that I'd never had a problem with before, had to be ironed, ALOT.

Our wash cycle was much longer and the dryer (not being discussed, I know) took 2 hours by itself.

I was hoping it was all due to the fact that it was either in England or the military provided it. . . But, now . . .I'm not getting the warm fuzzies.