Menu

Advice for stressed out mom

What are some things you do to get through stressful times?

I know things will be better soon but I'm feeling very stressed right now & I'm difficult to be around. :crying:

:grouphug: Can you get some time by yourself? That would be best.

And go to be early for a while.

Pick your battles and let the rest slide for a bit.

I"m sorry :(

Exercise is very helpful although it feels like the last thing you want to do. If you can just walk/run out the bad feelings it helps. You'll feel better the rest of the day.

I'm also feeling a little like I'm in a hard spot and I am not sure how to adjust my attitude. I'm trying to exercise (or talk a fast walk) once a day, trying to put my trust in God, and trying to think the best of those around me instead of looking at the negative.

Exercise, long walks, getting outside...

Treat yourself to a long bath or a chocolate ice cream, tell yourself over and over that you will get through this, it is only temporary.

Decide what the worst possible thing that could happen is - then think of the best that could happen - reality will probably be in between the two..... is it that bad? Can you deal with it? Anyway to shift that reality around? Regarding the worst that could happen - decide how you would handle it and then do not let it cross your mind again. When it does, remind yourself that you already have a plan and leave it.

If it is regarding family members that are outside of your control - or anything else you have no control over - remember that your stress will not change anything - except possibly make you sick and add more stress :)

In the "moment", it helps me to slip out of the room and wash my face and apply moisturizer. Sometimes that helps me "start over"... or at least feel refreshed or "out of the moment" for just a few minutes.

Other times, I put on some music that means a lot to me. Music goes deep into our souls and touches where nothing else does... imo...

In times like those, outside of music for a "time", I try to keep all "sounds" off... no tv running... no radios... I feel like those, along with kids, battle for my mind and I snap at kids more.

When I am really upset, I clean. I don't know if I am recommending that or not... it's just my "stress habit".

And I second the exercise and also regular sleep, if possible.

Simplify. Really. Get to the bare bones for a time. If you are schooling, stick to math, reading and writing and if you have to, for a time, rotate by picking up where you had to leave off the day before... Try to eliminate as many outings as possible until it gets better and you build back up to schedule.

During years of homeschooling while on bedrest, bad health and bizarre situations of an abusive marriage, I made it through by schooling during the summer. Instead of feeling like I never had a break, it gave me the flexibility I needed to take 3 or 4 day weekends and took a lot of pressure off of me.

Lastly, one of my best friends told me one day (it was a very bad day, too), "Bee, life wont always be this way." It was hard to believe. But, today life is so different.

Thanks for the replies.

We pulled the kids out of ps in Jan., so hs is very new to me (they are in 5th & 7th grades), my hubby had 1 hip surgery on Jan 19th, I started on a 40-day antibiotic (20 days on, 3 wks off, then another 20) for sinus infection with headaches every day, then MRI to find out what was causing the headaches, hubby started new job, hubby's second hip surgery on April 27th, I started meds to prevent suspected migraines, called plumber when found water damage the day hubbie was due to come home from hospital, awaiting tile repair so unable to use master shower, used kid's shower, discovered water pooling downstairs from that, awaiting plumber, using shower at mil, etc. In the midst of all this, I have an older dog that has to potty a lot & is waking up at night; being the insomniac that I am, I can't go right back to sleep. Also, because he's a greyhound & loves to run, he cut himself quite badly in Jan, so I was taking him to the vet 3 times a week for bandage changes all while caring for my recovering hubby & trying to figure out lesson plans & how to homeschool my kids.

I'm just overwhelmed by it all! My husband is doing very well, thankfully & I don't have a life threatening issue with my headaches. The meds aren't quite working, but the pain isn't as bad as it was, so I'll take it for now. The kids are very patient with the homeschool situation even though I feel like both they & I have really missed out these past 4 months. My 7th grader wants to go back to ps in the fall. :(

I really just need some distance from everything that's happened these last few months.

I think I'm going to take the dog for a long walk...

A few moments of quiet time (prayer, for me) in the morning with a strong cup of coffee, a hot bath before I go to bed, and ENOUGH sleep. That actually helps me deal with a lot... and believe me, there is a lot going on in my life right now!!

What are some things you do to get through stressful times?

I know things will be better soon but I'm feeling very stressed right now & I'm difficult to be around. :crying:

Fitness center with classes... other women to hang out with and kids in either their care program or with Dad. 2 times per week for an hour each. HUGE difference. I need the time away from kids. I need the exercise. I need to have women friends. Besides that exercise is proven more effective than antidepressants for chronic low level depression and anxiety.

Curves seems to be the best for this as it is set up with socializing and group support in mind. We all exercise in a circle so we can converse easily. It is also a great place to start for anyone of any fitness level because it is so easy to get started. I am switching to another though.

Honestly I have tried so many things and this is the jack pot for me.

Taking the dog(s) for a long walk usually does it for me--at least for a couple of hours.

About your dog and the midnight potty runs--have you checked with the vet? If your dog is a spayed female, that could possibly be a very simple fix. Phenylpropanolamine changed my life. It's an inexpensive medication, comes in pill form, you give it once a day, it's v. safe wrt side effects, and it worked really well for my dog (also a greyhound.) I was about to lose my mind with the sleep vs. peeing on the floor thing, and one little pill changed it all.

Good luck, mama.