Menu

Abeka or Sonlight???

vlgimmelli

I am trying to decide what curriculum to pick for my kids next year. I like Abeka and I also like but do not know too much of Sonlight. Some people have told me that Sonlight is more interesting and kids get less bored, not sure. Has anyone used one or the other and their kids love it and are doing well with it??? Just wondering. Thanks

The Sonlight core is basically for history and geography in the lower cores. At some point, they add in Bible as part of the core, it is not an optional purchase. We used three SL cores with my ds during the junior high and high school years, and I loved it so much, I am now using them again with my littles. So far, I have purchased new from SL core P3/4, core P4/5 and core K (core A now I think??).

We use SL for history, geogrpahy, read-alouds (also part of the core), and Bible, then we use other things for other subjects. I used quite a bit of Abeka in grades 2-6 with my ds, and I love their math. We are using Abeka's math right now and plan to continue with it.

Good things about SL are that if you purchase a core from them, you have one full year to actually use half of the materials (through week 18), and if it doesn't fit, you can return it for a full refund. I do not know of anotehr publisher that offers such a generous return policy. Details here: http://www.sonlight.com/guarantee.html.

Abeka is essentially workbooks and some get bored with doing one after the other. Some thrive. It all depends on your dc. I will say that we love SL and plan to stick with it long term. HTH!

Sonlight is a literature based study of history that can also include Bible. They also have science programs. You would still need to add math and language arts; although, Sonlight does have LA also. We used Sonlight for a partial year & used Abeka to cover math & LA.

HTH!

What ages are we talking about? We used A Beka exclusively in preschool, Kinder and 1st grade, which is where I think their strengths lie. A Beka is very traditional, their phonics program is top notch in my opinion and their math program is very strong.

I have used both Sonlight and Abeka... and I used them together. :D You can use both (even though that's not what you asked.) But, really, all you'd need to do is just do the Sonlight Core of your choice. (The Core will teach general knowledge for a given grade level.) Then you can pick the subjects that you want to use from Abeka and do those along WITH your Sonlight core. But, a full day of Abeka is VERY different than a full day of Sonlight with some Abeka mixed in... If you asking which is better or which one I'd choose... I'd choose Sonlight and add in the subject or subjects that you want to use Abeka's for. Abeka's phonics is a must, in my opinion. If you don't have a math, instead of going with whatever Sonlight suggests, you could use Abeka for that, too. Sonlight won't be complete without adding in some other curriculum or plan for the missing subjects to make it "whole." But, this is easily dealt with by adding in the Abeka subjects of your choice. You can have BOTH Abeka and Sonlight... your cake and eat it, too. :D

Edited by VBoulden

SL is a literature-based curriculum which relies heavily on parental involvement with read alouds. We do not use their Bible program, only the history, readers and read alouds. There are no tests in the younger grades. (Can't speak about anything over Core 4, though.)

Abeka is a more traditional program which is very much workbook-oriented and more independent for students. It is the choice of many Christian private schools and is writing intensive. I think of Abeka as a good fit for people who are more comfortable doing "school at home". My oldest dd did Abeka at her private school in the younger grades.

Edited by texasmama

A Beka and Sonlight have very different approaches and philosophies. I think A Beka is good for some skill areas - I used their A Handbook for Reading and leveled readers to teach our first daughter to read. I wouldn't want to use it for content subjects though, because it is all text based.

We do use Sonlight cores and really enjoy their use of real books to teach history/geography/literature. Nothing has sparked my children's love of learning more than SL has :). SL's strength is their cores, personally I don't use their skill subject recommendations, I have other things I like better :).

I think they are a bit like comparing apples and oranges imho.

Abeka is textbook style work. Which means you read a lesson and do the pages accordingly

Sonlight is literature based work. Which means you read a story and maybe do a notebooking page or craft if you want.

I think they are a bit like comparing apples and oranges imho.

Abeka is textbook style work. Which means you read a lesson and do the pages accordingly

Sonlight is literature based work. Which means you read a story and maybe do a notebooking page or craft if you want.

Well, why not use both. You could use Abeka for grammar, writing and math and SL for the rest. That would give you a nice balance. Most people who use SL use something else for LA and math isn't integrated into SL so you could use anything you like.

Lisa

ETA: I see others have recommended the same thing. You can use SL for History, Science, Bible, Read-Alouds (Literature) and Reading. All of that comes together in one core except the science, which you have to buy separately.

Edited by LisaTheresa

I've done SL for preK4, K, and starting 1st this fall with my DD6 (using their Cores for Bible, read alouds and history and science). I used Abeka's Letters and sounds K and have started LS and Language for 1st, as well as using a few of their readers and the Handbook for Reading. I'm planning of using SL's readers though, because I think they're more interesting; however, I do have Abeka's readers for 1st if I want to use them at any point. I taught 1st grade Abeka before kids at a Christian school, and was myself schooled in Abeka through 5th grade, so I understand it's strengths and weaknesses pretty well. I love the idea of SL's being literature based and using real books and getting away from "text books" when possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

You can do Sonlight and still add in Abeka for math, phonics, language, etc.

I agree! If you want the strengths of both curriculums, look into Abeka grammar and spelling (skip their writing and get institute for excellence in writing) and Abeka math.

For "fun" get SL reading, history, and science!

• 4 weeks later...

I have used Abeka for history and really found it boring...too much like reading a textbook. We use Sonlight now and have absolutely loved it! They have what is called a core which covers history, bible, geography, literature, and language arts. You add math and science to have a well-rounded curriculum. Then you can also do any additional "electives."

I use Abeka for math, phonics, and LA. Starting in first grade we use real books instead of their readers for reading, although we do every other aspect of LA with Abeka. I plan to do one four year cycle using SOTW followed by a switch to Abeka (unless something more appealing comes along first), but will probably always add in living books. Science will probably be the same, using RSO for four years before switching back to Abeka. I don't like the scattered approach early science takes in many elementary programs.

Even with Abeka math/LA, there are still things you can do such as buying interesting manipulatives to use for math.

If you have any Abeka questions, feel free to pm me.

Edited by Thia
addition

• 9 years later...

I did not look at the date before posting this. Hope it's still relevant. I use sonlight, this is my second year. I used 1st grade and am now doing kinder and second. Now that I have four to school I'm getting overwhelmed. I think the instruction guide is a little chaotic If your doing several subjects with several students. It gives you an overview of what you will do for the week but then breaks it down further as you turn the page and get started. Also this year I don't like there are so many components. You have a separate hw book, phonics book, activity sheets, readers, book of words that go over the topic you are learning  etc. I wish they made the curriculum like language arts through literature where all the good stuff is located in one consumable book. I will say with one child it is so doable. I love the read alouds, they have never let us down with books that the kids enjoy. They are always asking me to read them during meals or in the car. With our first exception Roxie and the Hooligans. So far that's the only book ive had to skip, it was surprisingly vicious turned comedy. You can get separate subjects or packages with discounts. History comes with lit and Bible that you cannot separate. The history is cool because you read books and answer questions verbally and if there is a place mentioned you'll find it in your map together. Science also through lit. You read and fill out a small worksheet with a few questions and there are many experiments you can do from a book your provided with as well as a science kit. So I say its overwhelming with more than one grade level, because of time and it becomes overwhelming. With one child, I would eat this up. Also my kids do alright with it but I do have a jumper who can't sit still and it can be difficult for him. Also I take the things they learn and make flashcards so that they can really learn what they have been taught. I think if I didn't do that, they would quickly forget what they've learned as they lightly touch a topic and then move on. I will say they do reincorporate topics and terms but my kids would forget it in a heartbeat. I hope that helps. 

• Like 1