Menu

Sad about my brother...

My brother & I are estranged. His choice. Started about 15 years ago & just got worse. I'm sad about it but there's nothing I can do so I try not to think about it.

I just found out that he had a small (but noticable) role in a show that I watch. I watched it last week & didn't recognize him. I watched it again after I found out it was him - he looks like he always has. How sad is that that I don't even notice my brother on TV?

I'm happy that he's having success & I'm trying to laugh about it but its just really pathetic & sad that this is where we are.

Just had to say that.

My brother & I are estranged. His choice. Started about 15 years ago & just got worse. I'm sad about it but there's nothing I can do so I try not to think about it.

I just found out that he had a small (but noticable) role in a show that I watch. I watched it last week & didn't recognize him. I watched it again after I found out it was him - he looks like he always has. How sad is that that I don't even notice my brother on TV?

I'm happy that he's having success & I'm trying to laugh about it but its just really pathetic & sad that this is where we are.

Just had to say that.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Maybe one day you will be able to reconnect.

I'm estranged from mine too. Also his choice. He's made A LOT of very bad and destructive choices that I just couldn't support. But when I look back on our childhood we were never really that close. My dad (who was controlling and abusive) died when I was 19 and my brother was 17. It was a very formative time, my mom was kind of lost and I was gone to college. We all sort of fell apart. My mom tried for so long to support him and help him and eventually it was destroying her so she had to cut him out.

I'm sorry you have this hole in your life too.:grouphug:

Just had to say that.

Of my 4 brothers, I am estranged from the one I was closest to as a child. He was destructive, and I couldn't let him be around my DC. :grouphug:

I understand. A number of years ago, I was at my mother's house (in a state 2000 miles away) when my brother, who had estranged himself from the family many years prior, but had recently started seeing our mother again, stopped by. After several minutes of converstation, he asked me, soto voce, "Who is that at the computer?"

"Your brother."

If they had met on the street, they would have had no idea that they were related.