Menu

Do you finish

My husband's answer as a ps teacher, "No. Some things are just dumb so I skip them. It is just busy work."

My answer is we finish the workbook/textbook but we don't do every page and every problem. I don't use many workbooks though. I tend to prefer non-consumable textbooks so it doesn't drive me up a wall to skip problems or pages. :D

I'm ok with skipping things we don't need to work on. For example, in math, I skipped whole chapters that I knew my son had mastered already (I gave him the chapter tests to verify, and he got 100s on all of them). I sometimes skip problems within a page as well, though I'm doing that less now that we're hitting stuff that he hasn't really done before and I want him to have plenty of practice.

I think math is the only place we're using workbooks...

I do find it easier to skip things if it's not a workbook. For example, I don't use AAS exactly as written. We don't spell with the tiles and then write on paper. We just spell with a marker on the white board - one time. I don't give all the phrases/sentences either. I just give the ones I think he needs to review. A workbook, however, has it all there, waiting to be filled in, so yeah... it just beckons you to do every single thing. :tongue_smilie: I am a box checker, though in math I had to get myself out of that mode, because my son just didn't need to do some things, and I wanted to get him to a point where he was learning something completely new, and it was going to be hard to do that without skipping things, because his physical writing ability has not caught up with his brain.

Oh, when we did CLE Reading, I skipped some things - all the schwa stuff. That felt good. :lol:

I guess I'll have to be the lone voice that says, "Mostly."

I don't have my kids do silly pages that are only busywork, but most of my workbooks don't have any of those. I like giving my kids extra practice in important skills, so I generally find my workbooks useful and helpful in drilling my kids in the important concepts that they need to know.

Well, my answer is yes. I mostly use curriculum geared for or written by homeschoolers so there aren't really "busy work" pages. We do use R&S for grammar and there are a lot of problems in each section so I usually only have my kids do odds or evens. In math 3 out of my 4 are working a grade level ahead in MM so there is really no need to skip problems. I'm of the mindset "overpracticing" math is not a bad thing. Especially in the younger years. Otherwise everything else we use is very efficient and we complete most if not all of it.

No. Sometimes in Math, I even skip problems within the page! If it is too repetitive, and I think she understands it, I will circle for my dd to only do 3 division problems instead of the 6 that are there.

By the end of the year, when I can tell I'm not going to finish something, I start to look ahead and pick out the lessons/workbook pages I think are most important for my kids to know. I'll skip to those and leave the rest undone.

Well, my answer is yes. I mostly use curriculum geared for or written by homeschoolers so there aren't really "busy work" pages. We do use R&S for grammar and there are a lot of problems in each section so I usually only have my kids do odds or evens. In math 3 out of my 4 are working a grade level ahead in MM so there is really no need to skip problems. I'm of the mindset "overpracticing" math is not a bad thing. Especially in the younger years. Otherwise everything else we use is very efficient and we complete most if not all of it.

:iagree: The bolded part makes a huge difference, I think. I've found very little busywork now that I've switched to mostly made-for-homeschoolers curriculum.

Well, my answer is yes. I mostly use curriculum geared for or written by homeschoolers so there aren't really "busy work" pages.

:iagree: The workbooks we use don't have a lot of busywork either. I do have dd skip the review lessons in her spelling workbook because she gets 95%-100% on every quiz and test and really doesn't need review. I let her skip the questions in the last exercise of her vocabulary book because I don't like the way they're worded. The kids can skip some bits of their math workbooks if they are on skills that they have already mastered. Other than that, they have to do everything in the workbooks.

We don't have a lot of workbooks, but for the ones that we do - I'd say yes. I figure that practice of a skill never hurts, and if my kids know the material that well, it does not take them all that long to complete the page. Any workbook we do have is set up for us to complete within the school year - so why not just finish it? But that's just me! That kind of thing is a judgement call for the person teaching.