Menu

What would you use?

sewgirlie

If money were no option, I'd say Phonics Road (accelerating through 1, 2, & 3 for sure) or a combo of AAS (accelerating quickly through the first several levels)/WWE/FLL.

If your kid learns best with spiral, I'd say CLE for math. If you aren't sure or they learn best with mastery, I'd go with MM.

Placement tests are a must for math.

Hake Grammar and Writing starting with the 5th grade and not worry about it.

Math is a tricky one. Teaching Textbooks?

I'll second Teaching Textbooks. It's been really effective for my daughter who wasn't "behind" in math per se but who had been developing a "math is hard, I'm not good at math" attitude and we were both starting to kind of dread math.

Teaching Textbooks has been phenomenal this year. She really "gets it," she's built up SO much confidence, her standardized test scores have vastly improved, and neither of us dread math anymore- in fact, she's called math "fun" and just the other day listed math as one of the things she's GOOD at. Who would have thought! :D

Is your dc struggling with school work and that is why they are behind? Or did life just happen and things didn't get done? If your dc is not struggling, catching up should not be a problem. What is your dc's reading level? Here are some things I used with my dd who was behind in middle school.

Winston Grammar- it is not well loved on this board, but will teach your dc grammar (there is no diagraming sentences).

Five Finger Paragraph and Essay- it is multileveled. Your dc can move at their own rate.

Read, read, read!

I did the above with my oldest dd in 8th grade. She went into honors English and had no problem in public high school. Actually, teachers said she was one of the only students that could write a cohesive paper.

I second Teaching Text Books. Have your dc take the placement test. A lot of math is review in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. You might be surprised how well your dc does on the TT placement test.:D

We used MUS for my struggling students, and they're getting caught up fairly quickly. We started them back in Alpha, and just went from the beginning.

If I had my way, I'd be using Phonics Road to get them caught up in LA. But, I don't, so we'll be using R&S English. I'm starting them in 3, and we'll work from there. Hopefully, we'll still be able to transition into The Latin Road about on time.

If your child was several years behind in math and language arts (say from 4th-7th grade) what resources would you use to help them catch up?

Thanks!

Carrie

For math MUS or, if you can swing it and need for your fingers to be out of the pie for awhile, Kumon. Kumon is very similar to MUS in scope and sequence for those grades and Kumon allows you to let someone else be the enforcer. If it is this is the type of child that needs very step-by-step instruction, then I would look at the Key to series (Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, Key to Percents, etc.)

For LA I would do Winston Grammar Basic for grammar catch-up. An older child can do this quickly over a semester or less. For reading comp I would start with Jane Erwin's Reading Comp in Varied Subject Matter Book 1 (about 4th grade) and go through them as quickly as progress will allow. For spelling I would look at Sequential Spelling, Apples Daily Spelling Drills for Secondary Students, or Megawords.

None of these materials look baby-ish or have any other grade level sort of cues to make the child feel behind or defeated. They are simple and to the point in a way that will allow the pupil to progress and feel successful.

HTH-

Mandy

Is your dc struggling with school work and that is why they are behind? Or did life just happen and things didn't get done?

I'm wondering this too. I don't think I could make a curriculum recommendation without knowing what is causing the problem in the first place. If the child is really struggling, then I would consider seeking outside help. If it's more a matter of "things just didn't get done" then I think the curriculum that you choose matters a lot less than how you implement it. Whatever materials you choose to work with, make them part of daily life. School simply gets done, top priority, six days a week, with *minimal* breaks for summer, Christmas, etc until caught up. I know that doesn't sound fun, but that is honestly what I would do in your shoes.

FWIW, I would never use MM to play catch-up. It is too full, too detailed, and is in no way designed to allow a child to move through the material in such a way to play catch-up.

I also wouldn't use R&S, Hake Grammar, TT and CLE. These four are full programs that were not designed with loopholes to move a child ahead quickly- not to mention that these four all have giant grade levels all over them that shout at a child everyday telling them how behind they are.

Mandy

FWIW, I would never use MM to play catch-up. It is too full, too detailed, and is in no way designed to allow a child to move through the material in such a way to play catch-up.

I also wouldn't use R&S, Hake Grammar, TT and CLE. These four are full programs that were not designed with loopholes to move a child ahead quickly- not to mention that these four all have giant grade levels all over them that shout at a child everyday telling them how behind they are.

Mandy

IMO, I disagree ...

I think it would be very easy to use the topic books for MM. Cover the four basic operations, and if time permits move toward the others. MM is set for first through sixth grade. After completing, pre-algebra is to begin. We are not talking about catching up in a week or month, but in a year. MM explains that if the concept is understood, practice a few problems and move on to the next lesson. This eliminates a great deal of problem solving in the beginning, but it lays a great foundation to review before moving to more complex problems.

Winston grammar will teach parts of speech, but I would rather see you cover R&S books 4/5 in a year instead. You would cover more grammar in more detail and be ahead of most public school standard requirements.

I own both of the above. If you have any questions about style content or the like, please feel free to ask.

I really appreciate all of your ideas!

For those of you needing more info- This is for a girl who is behind because of struggling with ADHD for several years. Now that she is doing better she has a lot of catching up to do.

Thanks much!

Carrie

Well, I'll tell you that I am using Math Mammoth and Phonics Road to remediate my oldest (11 this month) in math and language arts. :) Math Mammoth has been really easy to accelerate and has been FABULOUS at cementing a solid foundation of math understanding. MUS and TT just didn't do that for her. With LA, the problem was more that we switched programs and that left some gaps. Also, I dropped phonics instruction after she was reading fluently. That was a mistake.

Anyway, MM and PR have been excellent! :)

• 1 month later...

We started out with Right Start C and my daughter could not keep up with their terminology and didn't care for the manipulatives. The program was time consuming so we ended up switching to Mammouth Math. It's so much easier for her this year and she is really enjoying it.

There are lots of programs that can help with these sorts of things.

Lial's BCM is probably my choice for math just because it will cover all of the elementary math through pre-algebra. Additionally, it has LOTS of practice problems for most sections if those are necessary for a particular student. It is also VERY reasonably priced (we got ours, at the time, for $10).

For grammar, I'd use Thinking Through Grammar. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get through it though. Let it "sit."

Most writing programs are set up for multi-level and address what is needed for weak and strong writers. I'm trying to think of the name of the program we used, but we just used the lower level for my upper level kiddo...with the idea we could move to the upper level in a year or two which still put him in the upper level's range. I'll try to find that information (I'm a tad distracted by babies just this second).

Also for reading comprehension, Critical Thinking has Reading Detective. The first book, Beginning, goes through the different types of comprehension details like infer, main idea, etc.. The following books do not go into the same explanations. We also loved the Science Detective books for practice.

Mandy

Actually, the blue series of MM (topical, written to the student) can work effectively to catch a child up. I am helping a student who has severe gaps in her math skills, and I gave her MM placement tests to find out her gaps. She is doing the whole Mult. 1 book now, then will do Division 1, and fractions. The books start at the beginning so the student can fill gaps but they can go as quickly as they want through the books.