Menu

Insurance questions.....

Hi all,

We are looking to find less expensive car insurance. We have 3 older cars currently on our insurance and one only carries collision. We are going to investigate Geico and Progressive. Does any one have experience with either of these companies? I appreciate any info you all can provide.

Thanks!

We have Progressive and we have been very pleased for about 8 years now. Our liability insurance on our older car is very inexpensive and the full coverage we have is not too bad either.

Dh had a couple accidents in the last few years and they were very very prompt about taking care of it in a timely fashion. We had vehicles fixed and payed for with no problems at all.

We've been with Progressive since 2003. They are much less expensive than every other company for us and I check every 6 months. We've had two accidents in the time that we've been with them (one was my husband's fault and one was a drunk driver who rear ended him) and both have been handled efficiently. Of course, you don't have the relationship with a local agent that you get with the other companies.

Every time I check, those 2 are more expensive than others. The top 2 companies are supposed to be USAA and Amica. USAA is for military, veterans, etc. We saved quite a bit when we switched the them. It also pays to shop periodically since many companies have price changes with teenage drivers, etc.

You're in PA? Look at Erie. We've been with them for home and auto for over a decade, and we've been nothing but pleased with them. Our local agents have all been fantastic, and even though we've fortunately only had a couple of claims with Erie, they've handled them promptly and professionally. We do get a discount for having both home and auto with them. I have looked at Geico as well, but Erie has always been cheaper. However, that assumes you have a good driving record; if you do, Erie is a good plan.

You're in PA? Look at Erie. We've been with them for home and auto for over a decade, and we've been nothing but pleased with them. Our local agents have all been fantastic, and even though we've fortunately only had a couple of claims with Erie, they've handled them promptly and professionally. We do get a discount for having both home and auto with them. I have looked at Geico as well, but Erie has always been cheaper. However, that assumes you have a good driving record; if you do, Erie is a good plan.

We currently do have Erie with a clean driving record. We are paying 2400 per year for car insurance. Is that just the best we will be able to do??? My husband thinks it is outrageous but maybe it's just what we have to deal with.

We pay about 2300 a year. Now that is liability for one truck, full coverage on a truck and full coverage on an ATV (the most expensive of them all), also dh has a horrible driving record so ours is higher than most.

I would just call around and see what they can offer you, but beware cheaper prices also mean cuts in coverage at times too.

We have had Geico for 3 years and have been very happy with them. Dh was in 2 accidents, both not his fault. The first, the other driver had Geico as well so we could see how they handled it. Great! No problems, easy rental car, great service, good repair. The second, he was hit by a drunk driver and the car was totalled. We went through a terrible mess with her insurance company (State Farm) and called our company several times for advice. They were very kind and helped us understand our rights. Again, a great experience.

We also have our homeowner's insurance through them. They actually farm it out (Prudential) but we get a discount for bundling policies with them.

Our car insurance went down by $500 a year when we switched from AAA three years ago. Now we only have one vehicle (BOO!) with full coverage and have yet to find cheaper insurance.

We switched our homeowner's last year and save $250 a year.

Same policies, same deductibles, everything.

HTH

We currently do have Erie with a clean driving record. We are paying 2400 per year for car insurance. Is that just the best we will be able to do??? My husband thinks it is outrageous but maybe it's just what we have to deal with.

I don't know. That seems really high to me. I know we don't pay anywhere near that much. We have two cars, both with comp and collision, though I'm not sure what our deductibles are off the top of my head. Can you raise your deductible? I know we get a small discount on the auto for having home with Erie also, but I don't think it's huge. I would call your local Erie agent and have a chat with him/her about where you could reasonably cut your costs and still have good coverage.

Many moons ago, I had Geico and they raised my rates every year despite having a perfectly clean driving record. When I started shopping around, USAA was the cheapest and Progressive was more expensive. I do all my banking and insurance with them and have never had a problem. They also discount if you have your cars and home with them. If you have no military background that would get you "in," a friend can refer you.

$2,300 seems like a lot, but it all depends on where you live.

I would first start with your own insurance agent. Let him/her know that you are considering switching companies due to cost of premiums. If your agent is worth their credentials they will take time to look closely at your policies. They will look to see of you can qualify for more discounts, or if by changing deductibles your rate can be lowered, and so on. If they are unable to do that, then I would consider moving to a new company. Know though that companies like Geico and Progressive often have very low newcomer rates. Those rates are intended to entice people to their company. They only last maybe 2 years before they go up and the rates are not really competitive any more. Or at least that has been our experience. My dh sells insurance and regularly has people coming back after a couple of years because those companies rates suddenly went drastically higher. Of course, now they no longer qualify for the long term customer discounts with our company.

We've been with Geico for a couple of decades now and it has been a good relationship. Their customer service is excellent and rates, at least in our state, are terrific. We have three older cars , none with collision, and the six month rate has steadily gone down, not up. At present we pay a bit over $200 for 6/mos. Of course, I always call and ask what discount we might be missing! Taking a safe driver online course saves hundreds.