Menu

Help us name our new dog!

Hello!

We have been planning to adopt a shelter dog, and the one that we feel fits our family best is living with a foster family and is called "Lexus" by that family (female dog).

The thing is, I'm not a big fan of the name. Dog is darling (spaniel). I would shorten her name to "Lexi," but that is a name of a good friend's daughter, and I don't think that would be good.

Lexus is 6 months old. Can you think of names somewhat close to "Lexus" that we might be able to transition her to understand that this is her new name? Any ideas welcome! Thank you!:001_smile:

Could you just use "Lexy" because... well... that's the dog's name. Here's the thing about names... people move... friends change... and... well... It's a really cute name :) Otherwise, say you name is... Ally :) then before you know it, an Ally moves in right door. ;) Anyway, not much help...

As far as dogs responding to a new name, it really won't be a problem. You just call them the name, and they respond :) I like the name Harley or Lucy for a cute dog ;)

I don't see the big deal with the friend having the same name. I have good friends that named their chocolate lab my name. I thought it was funny!

However, this dog already has the name so you just say she already had it and leave it at that.

But a dog will answer a new name too so it's your call.

Pick any name you want, and start calling the dog by the new name as soon as you get her home. Give her a food treat a few times while saying her name. That's all it takes. ;)

As a pp suggested I think Lucy is an adorable name for a spaniel.

Here are some others I've heard:

Maxie

Jessie

Maya

Cheyenne

Molly

Jaeda

Dixie

Daisy

Loki

Roxy is pretty close to Lexy, and is also cute.

But, I agree, you can pick any name you want. Call her by the new name, and give her a yummy treat whenever she responds, and she'll switch over in no time :001_smile: