Menu

Need curriculum that meets *my* goals, but doesn't kill me in the process

Wee Pip

So......I decided awhile ago that I'd ditch an organized curric because it didn't meet my goals for my children. I wanted to be more skills based, and all curric did for me was give me a checklist of someone else's goals. I was tired of all the fill-in-the-blank nonsense, and had my own ideas for teaching my children.

Sigh. I haven't been teaching my children.

Obviously, that's not working well, here, either.

We're OK math-wise (still experimenting with the right math, but not worried). I'm teaching math, but then turn the kids over to the computer for Time 4 Learning. I've actually seen my 10yo learn things from T4L that I just haven't taught her - so this is good. The kids like T4L and do not complain about doing it (mostly). However, I feel like I should be more responsible for their schooling, and again, working toward those goals that I think are important.

Most important to me: Math, Reading a variety of good literature, and Writing. At this point, I'd like them to be able to write a good summary or narration of what they read. Secondary: I'd also like them to actually learn Science & History, Grammar, & Spelling, but I'm really falling apart here. The problem I have seen with curriculum is a lot of "read this, fill in the blank" and not a whole lot of developing a human being able to read, understand, and write. Also, I don't see much, if any, retention. When we used BJU Science (briefly), dd read the selection, struggled thru the questions, and had absolutely no idea what she had just read. I aspire to something better! I don't have a lot of time or patience, though - our morning is total chaos with a 2yo wrecking havoc on everything. Through breakfast and our 1 hour of math at the table, I'm a nervous wreck, yelling and tearing my hair out. I don't like that, either:( So I'm hoping to just do a little bit of one-on-one and then send the kids on their way to work on things. They are good solid readers, so that helps a ton! Some things I am looking at:

Sonlight

WinterPromise

Robinson Curriculum

Calvert

Any others that might fit the bill? Do you think any of these could be done mostly independently and will meet my goals? Could the SL read-alouds be done independently by a good reader?

If T4L is working why not continue and add in reading (or read aloud) great lit, science and history. If the 'basics' are covered with T4L you can have time to 'enrich' with field trips or nature walks or experiments. Not what you were looking for I know but maybe 'good enough' for this period right now until things move to a new set of obstacles :001_smile: which they always do.

We have done many Sonlight Cores, and it is definitely *not* a fill-in-the-blank deal. I had to come up with lots of written work for the kids to do when we lived in a state that required a portfolio review because reading and discussing doesn't translate well into portfolios. It's very easy to add notebooking activities, though, so you could use the WTM style of learning easily with the Sonlight selections.

Winter Promise is also very good in that area - and it actually gives you the notebooking resources and assignments. I loved that about WP (it's always easier for me to implement something with my kids if I didn't "make it up" but that's my issue. LOL).

Oak Meadow is also an excellent choice for this type of learning, but I really only like it after 4th grade or so. But it definitely allows for real learning, not just doing worksheets and moving on. It's especially good for artistically minded kids who aren't academically gifted in a traditional way - there are many ways for them to show their knowledge and understanding of a subject without writing a paragraph about it.

I would steer clear of Calvert, since it's more textbook learning. It is School At Home all the way, and that doesn't sound like what you're after.

Good luck!

I don't know what to say about curriculum, but my two little ones are late sleepers and I have been waking my older two up at 7:00 so we can start school then.

It has been so nice. We get more done in that 1 1/2 before the little ones get up then we get done all the rest of the day.

Another thing that has helped me is not planning group subjects, because the past couple years the only way school could get done is if the big ones or I were helping with the littles. Waiting for a time when both of my big kids were ready to focus and I felt like I could deal with everyone and a history or science project almost never happens ;)

I also agree you could stick with T4L. It sounds like it is working and really by the year after next, you'll have gotten through most of that 1-3yo messer stage. And your kids will be ready to move into more logic stage ideas and plans, so I'd take advantage of the last year of grammar to do what is working and will get done. :D

Thanks for the advice thus far! I think my biggest problem is that I have lost a lot of confidence in my ability to do this homeschooling thing. I don't know that a boxed curric would help with that - I just feel like while *I'm* falling apart, the kids should probably still get educated.

So......I decided awhile ago that I'd ditch an organized curric because it didn't meet my goals for my children. I wanted to be more skills based, and all curric did for me was give me a checklist of someone else's goals. I was tired of all the fill-in-the-blank nonsense, and had my own ideas for teaching my children.

We're OK math-wise (still experimenting with the right math, but not worried). I'm teaching math, but then turn the kids over to the computer for Time 4 Learning. I've actually seen my 10yo learn things from T4L that I just haven't taught her - so this is good. The kids like T4L and do not complain about doing it (mostly). However, I feel like I should be more responsible for their schooling, and again, working toward those goals that I think are important.

Most important to me: Math, Reading a variety of good literature, and Writing. At this point, I'd like them to be able to write a good summary or narration of what they read. Secondary: I'd also like them to actually learn Science & History, Grammar, & Spelling, but I'm really falling apart here. The problem I have seen with curriculum is a lot of "read this, fill in the blank" and not a whole lot of developing a human being able to read, understand, and write. Also, I don't see much, if any, retention. When we used BJU Science (briefly), dd read the selection, struggled thru the questions, and had absolutely no idea what she had just read. I aspire to something better! I don't have a lot of time or patience, though - our morning is total chaos with a 2yo wrecking havoc on everything. Through breakfast and our 1 hour of math at the table, I'm a nervous wreck, yelling and tearing my hair out. I don't like that, either:( So I'm hoping to just do a little bit of one-on-one and then send the kids on their way to work on things. They are good solid readers, so that helps a ton! Some things I am looking at:

Sonlight

WinterPromise

Robinson Curriculum

Calvert

Any others that might fit the bill? Do you think any of these could be done mostly independently and will meet my goals? Could the SL read-alouds be done independently by a good reader?

I'm looking to use Heart of Dakota next year for these very same reasons. SL and WP haven't done it for us. I like how HOD integrates all of these areas and it seems strong in the application area. The specific weakness in our house is spelling, grammar & writing.

Sonlight

WinterPromise

Robinson Curriculum

Calvert

I haven't used it personally, but maybe Moving Beyond the Page might be of help to you.

So I'm hoping to just do a little bit of one-on-one and then send the kids on their way to work on things. They are good solid readers, so that helps a ton! ....

Have you looked into CLE? My 2nd grader can do almost all of it on his own. And I have to remind my 6th grader daily that I need to see her work because she just zooms through it. I use it for LA, Math & Reading. And it is fill in the blank but that doesn't mean that it can't be discussed. But honestly, when it comes to grammar I haven't found there needs to be much to discuss. Math is just fill in the blank after discussion. ;)We do a lot of the reading workbooks orally which always leads to more discussion. The springboard is there when I need it. But the "get it done" factor is there when it is needed. The reading comprehension is very deep beyond the 2nd grade level.

Then I assign independent reading time because CLE reading isn't enough. We listen to a lot of books on CD instead of read alouds. Often the kids follow along with books I checked out from the library. I use Sonlight and other catalogs for reading ideas.

The only problem with CLE is that their history and science is not very strong and needs to be revised. I read to all 3 of them from the Abeka textbooks and library books with a lot of facts drilling. And I'm not really liking that but it gets done and appeals to my children for some reason. We are going back to SOTW next fall and maybe Sonlight for Science.

Edited by jannylynn

What about using something like workboxes along with whatever curriculum you choose? That way you can get everything organized and ready to go while the kids are in bed and, with your organization and written instructions, your kids' work can be made more independent.

Most important to me: Math, Reading a variety of good literature, and Writing. At this point, I'd like them to be able to write a good summary or narration of what they read. The problem I have seen with curriculum is a lot of "read this, fill in the blank" and not a whole lot of developing a human being able to read, understand, and write. Also, I don't see much, if any, retention.

Your ideas are very similar to mine. I make a master list/schedule of what to cover, then fill it in with books we have on hand. It works for us, and we just do the next thing on the list. If we miss it today, it will roll around again tomorrow.

Why not choose a book for discussion as a read-aloud? You could choose some words for them to look up for vocabulary and let them start a notebook of words and definitions. Just start a page for "A", then "B", then "C" words, then so on. Let them review it weekly. Maybe that could help with retention. Toss out some open-ended questions during your readings. Let them narrate what they remember. Do some map work or look up something that you find interesting in the story.

Go low stress for the summer. Let them buy a notebook and decorate it with colored papers (get one of those marble composition books cheap at Walmart). Let this be their *commonplace book* or even their narration book or writing book. Make a list of some topics for writing and let them choose, or even draw from a hat/box/jar.

We've very much enjoyed Jim Dale's audio of Peter Pan. There are many others free at Librivox.org. Download these and burn to CDs, then sit down after lunch (or during) and have story time. Discuss, then let them write something such as their opinions of whether the characters made good decisions, etc.

We are having great fun with grammar using the Montessori-style colored-coded cards. I write a sentence pattern chosen off the top of my head willy-nilly on the dry-erase magnetic board, then my guy finds words to fit. He is then required to do the same on his notebook paper, only he must choose his own words to fit, not the words from the board. This makes grammar fun, and it is really sinking in.

Just some thoughts for you. I hope something gives you peace. My best advice is to step back, slow it down, read more, discuss more, play math games, cook together, garden together, and find the fun in your days. Best wishes to you in your search. :)

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

Well, what I'm hearing from your post sounds like you should maybe ditch the textbooks, use real books (like SL, which you mentioned), and do verbal narrations to start with. Fill in the blanks, multiple choice etc. etc. don't normally result in long term retention in many cases. Really talking to someone and discussing things with them helps SO much more! This can also move into written summary narrations once the verbal skills are established.

Of course - this isn't really something that children can do independently! You need to be there to prompt them and help them along as they learn that whole oral narration thing.

What I'm hearing is that maybe you need a dash of CM in your homeschool :). I could be totally wrong though :).

Thanks for all the advice! I went to the library today and found Oak Meadow 5 History/English guide in their stack of books for sale! I bought it for $1! So I guess I'm going to try that:) It looks really gentle (which I need) and it covers American History (also what we need). I'm also thinking I am just going to have to sacrifice naptime to get it done. I've been reluctant to give up that time because it is the only time I have to myself - to make phone calls for household & financial stuff, or to study up on math so I can teach it, or to take a much needed nap myself! But maybe I can rope dh into giving me an occasional hour of alone time.

Thanks for all the advice! I went to the library today and found Oak Meadow 5 History/English guide in their stack of books for sale! I bought it for $1! So I guess I'm going to try that:) It looks really gentle (which I need) and it covers American History (also what we need). I'm also thinking I am just going to have to sacrifice naptime to get it done. I've been reluctant to give up that time because it is the only time I have to myself - to make phone calls for household & financial stuff, or to study up on math so I can teach it, or to take a much needed nap myself! But maybe I can rope dh into giving me an occasional hour of alone time.

Ohhhh! How fun! :D

Thanks for all the advice! I went to the library today and found Oak Meadow 5 History/English guide in their stack of books for sale! I bought it for $1!
Yay!

Your OP caught my eye because I am trying to find the same thing. I think another year of our current curriculum would kill me and my student. ;)

Best of luck for your new school year! :grouphug:

It depends on the Core you choose. Can you have dh read the readalouds before bedtime or do it during the 2 year old's nap? You can see our curriculum choices in my siggie, and I believe they would fit the bill for your goals. I am a "get 'er done" kinda gal at this point by necessity. My two oldest hs'ed kids are the ages of your two. I struggle at times with the interruptions brought by the 5 year old...I think a 2 year old would drive me to distraction.:tongue_smilie:

ETA - I posted before I read the replies...all the best to you!

Texasmama - I haven't ruled out SL in the future. I used it for K & 1, but found reading aloud at those ages went straight over my kids' heads. I was tired of having this conversation every day:

Kids: "who's that?"

Me: "the main character, remember?"

Kids: "oh"

I really lost my excitement for SL after that, but might be willing to try it again soon. I think Oak Meadow will get my feet wet into literature based studies again and I can see if it works for us before making a huge investment.

Most important to me: Math, Reading a variety of good literature, and Writing. At this point, I'd like them to be able to write a good summary or narration of what they read. Secondary: I'd also like them to actually learn Science & History, Grammar, & Spelling, but I'm really falling apart here. The problem I have seen with curriculum is a lot of "read this, fill in the blank" and not a whole lot of developing a human being able to read, understand, and write. Also, I don't see much, if any, retention. When we used BJU Science (briefly), dd read the selection, struggled thru the questions, and had absolutely no idea what she had just read. I aspire to something better!

It sounds as if math is working for you at this point--I would not change unless you find that the concepts are not clicking for your children. However, I also find that it pays to check up on that. Sometimes what I thought had been learned one day really wasn't learned as well as it needed to be, and more practice is in order.

For your reading comp skills I would strongly suggest you follow up on the post advocating a CM approach. Contrary to what I once thought, CM is actually a very, very intense focus on reading comprehension with the focus on narrations. I would also say that narration actually does have to be taught, especially if you are finding that your children read but do not retain. You have to show them what they should be looking for.

I used it for K & 1, but found reading aloud at those ages went straight over my kids' heads. I was tired of having this conversation every day:

Kids: "who's that?"

Me: "the main character, remember?"

Kids: "oh"

This is what I'm talking about. My boys are 7 and the idea of a main character wouldn't register. I struggled with narrations and might have given them up all together except I was convinced they were the key to what my children needed to process information. The very first thing I did was to take some good advice from the board and start with Aesop's Fables. We do one every day, first thing in the morning after or before math. They are incredibly short, they don't involve anything complex in the plot or the characters. Also, they are a complete story--no passages to have to provide backstory on. I ask questions based on how the story is constructed. The first question is about the animal--who do you think the story was about? The next questions have to do with the events in the story and how they took place. We tend to conclude with their reactions to the story. Short, simple, and narrations are now their favorite thing to do.

I also have them narrate for history and science and I have seen their narrations improve just with having started the practice above, and better yet, their retention is going through the roof now.

Two days ago I mentioned the length of the war in Afganistan to my boys and said it was a long war. On a whim I said, "But that wasn't as long as the Greeks fought the Persians, was it? How long was that war?"

Two voiced piped up, "Sixty years. Greece won." We had studied that history lesson a week before.

You might have to dig around but there was a thread about a month and a half ago posted by Nan in Mass that talked about how the skills of a classical education are so important, and maybe just as or more important that content. This can be a pretty liberating thought. Subjects as a way to teach learning and not the other way around.

It sounds as if math is working for you at this point--I would not change unless you find that the concepts are not clicking for your children. However, I also find that it pays to check up on that. Sometimes what I thought had been learned one day really wasn't learned as well as it needed to be, and more practice is in order.

For your reading comp skills I would strongly suggest you follow up on the post advocating a CM approach. Contrary to what I once thought, CM is actually a very, very intense focus on reading comprehension with the focus on narrations. I would also say that narration actually does have to be taught, especially if you are finding that your children read but do not retain. You have to show them what they should be looking for.

This is what I'm talking about. My boys are 7 and the idea of a main character wouldn't register. I struggled with narrations and might have given them up all together except I was convinced they were the key to what my children needed to process information. The very first thing I did was to take some good advice from the board and start with Aesop's Fables. We do one every day, first thing in the morning after or before math. They are incredibly short, they don't involve anything complex in the plot or the characters. Also, they are a complete story--no passages to have to provide backstory on. I ask questions based on how the story is constructed. The first question is about the animal--who do you think the story was about? The next questions have to do with the events in the story and how they took place. We tend to conclude with their reactions to the story. Short, simple, and narrations are now their favorite thing to do.

I also have them narrate for history and science and I have seen their narrations improve just with having started the practice above, and better yet, their retention is going through the roof now.

Two days ago I mentioned the length of the war in Afganistan to my boys and said it was a long war. On a whim I said, "But that wasn't as long as the Greeks fought the Persians, was it? How long was that war?"

Two voiced piped up, "Sixty years. Greece won." We had studied that history lesson a week before.

You might have to dig around but there was a thread about a month and a half ago posted by Nan in Mass that talked about how the skills of a classical education are so important, and maybe just as or more important that content. This can be a pretty liberating thought. Subjects as a way to teach learning and not the other way around.

I agree, I think narrations are a very strong learning tool. What an excellent method, indeed. I also agree that content is not as important. Teach them how to learn, and they will, for the rest of their life. No one can teach a child everything. There are going to be gaps no matter what you attempt to do. Creating a love for learning, while teaching them how to learn seems to be the best bet.

Good luck with your endeavors, Sarah. :)