Menu

Do you ever attend live concerts? I am flabbergasted at the cost/fees.

I've seen some summer shows advertised, so, just for fun I decided to check prices.

The first was for a band that my dh likes - it's probably not anybody you've ever heard of. Tickets are $97.50 each. Facility fee $20 each. Ticketing fee $15.50 each. Grand total $266 for two tickets.:001_huh: (I honestly thought we'd have to pay about $50 each, ha ha)

The next one is for a band that my dd likes - they've been around for >30 years but are really "2nd tier" at this point. $25 per ticket, plus $6 per ticket facility charge, plus $9 per ticket convenience charge. Total $160 for 4 tickets to SIT ON THE HARD GROUND.

It looks like we are doing free concerts in the park again this summer. Even if I had money to burn, I don't think I could bring myself to pay those fees.

We go to very few. DH and I went to see Bruce Hornsby twice in the last few years. This year, for the first time ever, we're seeing Journey with the kids. Tickets were $15 each, $10 convenience charge and $20 for parking. $105 total for 5 of us. Lawn seats. But it's Journey! The youngest 2 may choose not to go. Then we'll sell those. But dh, oldest and myself will definitely go.

Yeh, DH and I have looked into a couple of concerts in the past year or so...I couldn't believe the prices, either. :glare: A $300 date for us?? Not happening!

There isn't anyone I'd pay that kind of money to see. Not even if they brought some of my favorites back from the dead. :lol: I'll take a free you tube video and a glass of wine...my own front seat tickets at home. ;)

We go to very few. DH and I went to see Bruce Hornsby twice in the last few years. This year, for the first time ever, we're seeing Journey with the kids. Tickets were $15 each, $10 convenience charge and $20 for parking. $105 total for 5 of us. Lawn seats. But it's Journey! The youngest 2 may choose not to go. Then we'll sell those. But dh, oldest and myself will definitely go.

OK, I have to say the 2nd band I mentioned above is Journey. My teens love them. But c'mon - those guys are in their 60s, don't tell me they are still on top of their game! (I saw Barry Manilow a few years ago with my mom and he was charming but WORN OUT - so I am suspicious of the energy level of aging rockers). SoCal must be more expensive than NC b/c the lawn seats here are $40. I didn't even think about parking. :(

We've gone to quite a few concerts this past year just because dh really enjoys live music. It isn't something we've really had the time or finances to do in years past, so it's been nice to be able to start doing something we enjoy. It can get pretty expensive for some shows, but it's been worth it to us.

Dh bought tickets to Bon Jovi for me for Christmas. The show is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm really excited. I've wanted to see them live for years!

Not too often. Dh and I saw The Police on their reunion tour a few years ago. We took ds to see Asia. Dh has seen various progressive rock groups alone a few times. Dh took ds to see Skillet.

We also like to go to the theatre. We will be splurging on tickets to Les Miserables this year, and probably Wicked next year.

Wendi

OK, I have to say the 2nd band I mentioned above is Journey. My teens love them. But c'mon - those guys are in their 60s, don't tell me they are still on top of their game! (I saw Barry Manilow a few years ago with my mom and he was charming but WORN OUT - so I am suspicious of the energy level of aging rockers). SoCal must be more expensive than NC b/c the lawn seats here are $40. I didn't even think about parking. :(

FWIW, I think Journey is experiencing somewhat of a renaissance among hipsters right now. Glee has added to their popularity. (They're still aging rockers, though).

I have attended numerous classical/orchestra/symphony concerts and local traditional music performances at various venues. The prices tend to be very reasonable to free ($20 or less)...we've spent more per ticket but that was for the Philadelphia Orchestra or Hillary Hahn though I don't remember exactly what we paid but no where near $266 for two tickets. (Eek!)

We recently saw The Chieftains and I think tickets were fairly pricey with 5 of us going but we were lucky enough to get comp'd because dd was playing with them. :001_smile:

My kids are very much into music, and the two older ones play in a band, so we have been attending concerts here and there over the last couple of years.

Prices for big name bands have certainly risen since I went to concerts WAY back when :001_smile:, however, some of the shows my kids have wanted to see featured several groups playing in smaller venues (House of Blues for one) for fairly reasonable prices.

I love concerts. Due to the cost, I have gone to exactly 2 in the past 20 yrs!!! One was Cher. I went with a friend and only had to pay for one ticket. The other was REO Speedwagon at the state fair. I can think of better uses for $250 dollars.