Menu

Classical Academic Press opinions?

I got a catalog from Classical Academic Press (the company behind "School Song Latin" and "School Song Greek"). I was wondering if anyone had used any of their curriculum, specifically the non-foreign language stuff? I like the look of what I saw in the catalog, with bright colorful pictures, etc.

We are currently using Song School Latin, and my girls love it! I am very impressed with the curriculum itself. As a result, I made a point to visit the Classical Academic Press display at our homeschool convention this year. I was equally impressed with everything they have to offer, particularly the God's Great Covenant Bible curriculum. We will be using it in the coming school year.

I've used SSL, SSG, Greek Code Cracker, and LfC A (and have LfC B on the shelf). So far, we've loved everything we've used by them. I have seriously considered God's Great Covenant, but haven't actually bought it yet-I have a trip coming up in June to a place with a nice sized homeschool store, so I have a list of books to look at there, and that's one of them :).

My middle dd used and loved G.A. Code Cracker. I have all three of their logic programs but haven't used them yet, as well as the Art of Poetry program, which I haven't used yet. So, I guess you could say I love the layout of their materials but I don't have much experience with them.....yet!

Huh, I didn't think they had anything for younger children that was not foreign language.

The poetry program for middle schoolers looks great and I plan to use it eventually. I know that their logic program is used in some classical schools.

We use their Spanish and Latin (LFC) programs.

Huh, I didn't think they had anything for younger children that was not foreign language.

The poetry program for middle schoolers looks great and I plan to use it eventually. I know that their logic program is used in some classical schools.

We use their Spanish and Latin (LFC) programs.

You're right. They don't. There is nothing else listed until you get to the gr. 2-6 range.

I find CAP products work well for us. I know that's not a universally true statement, but ds and I like their products.

We didn't start classical homeschooling until 5th grade. So far we've used Greek Alphabet Code Cracker, LFC A & B, Latin Alive Book 1, Art of Argument, and Art of Poetry(which we'll use over 3 years). I have Discovery of Deduction on the shelf to use next year, and we'll also use Latin Alive 2 next year.

I did order Spanish for Children, but then ds changed his mind about wanting to learn Spanish.

We used OT: Part 1 this year and will be using OT: Part 2 next. I really love it and recommend using the teacher's manual as well. It includes so many helpful notes.

My ds is almost 8, and we've been doing 2nd grade work. I probably would not use this for younger ages because of the amount of writing in the book, although at times when ds5 was listening in, he could answer questions just as well as his brother. I suppose some of it could be done orally, but I think I would just rather use it for the ages it was intended.

In the foreign languages, we enjoy Song School Latin as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I am new here, but our family loves CAP products. We have used SSL, Latin Primers A, B, and C. We will be using Latin Alive 1 this fall.

I own Art of Argument and Discovery of Deduction, but we haven't used them yet. I tutored Logic this past year using Jim Nance's Intro and Intermediate Logic, and while they were very challenging and thorough, I feel as if the CAP books are much more applicable to life. I'll be starting my 12 year old with AoA this fall, so I will know more soon. So far, aside from a few typos, the CAP products have been lively, interesting and very user friendly.

Hope this helps!

Gwen

We've used GGC OT 1 this year. I like it, but it was too much writing for dd8. I did all the writing. It is schoolish, so if you don't like workbook stuff, you might not like it. It has great stories that summarize each chapter, which you can get as MP3 files, which is also nice.

We've also used SSL with success.

We've only used some of their Latin and Greek materials, but I will say that my boys have loved using their products. Me too. :) I have found their customer service to be outstanding; when I was comparing Latin programs, they were bend-over-backwards helpful in sending me numerous printed sample pages (I was having trouble downloading with my s l o w dial up), and answering numerous questions. I have always gotten prompt response to my email questions as well. I appreciate all the good freebies they have put up for Latin/Greek on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

We started with LFC A when my dd was in 3rd grade. It was such a good fit for us that we have gone on to use LFC B and C, SFC A, and Greek Alphabet Code Cracker. We have started GFC and have Latin Alive 1 and Art of Argument for next year. May do SFC B if I can figure out how to fit it all in. CAP products fit us well.