Menu

6th grade literature??? Help!

My oldest is going into 6th grade and I'm good on pretty much everything except literature. :glare: I have several books for her to read for history (we're using Biblioplan and SOTW 3) but not really any for a more in depth study. We tried CLE Reading last year and hated the short snips of their readers so I want something that deals with real, whole books. She's a strong reader as well and really enjoys any historical or biographical stories. We've briefly (just in normal discussion of books) touched on literary elements and would like to move onto something that covers those better and more in depth. Any help or rec's are appreciated -- I feel out of my element now that we're moving into middle school and need more help that I thought I would. TIA!

Have you seen Figuratively Speaking? It's a nice supplement to go over literary terms in a middle school/lower high school way.

There are some Glencoe free guides to lit available if you want to dig deeper into a few books. I wouldn't kill the love of reading by analysing everything at this stage.

I do like what SWB/JW say to do with lit in WTM. Have you looked at that?

We really enjoyed doing Lightning Lit 7 and 8. I'm not at all happy with the high school courses, but the middle school programs were a thoughtful and enjoyable introduction to literature study, but light enough that they could be layered over our history-oriented readings easily without being overwhelming. LL7 is perfectly doable by a strong 6th grade reader.

I love K12 literature and Sonlight. If you don't have money to spend, use the Sonlight catalog and get them from the library (I did this one year, and it worked great).

My DD12 is just finishing up K12 6th grade Lit. It's her favorite subject. She always wants to do it first thing in the morning - that's a good sign. :)

Thanks so much! There have been some great ideas here and I really liked the look of LL 7 but she has already read most of those. I think we may use some of the Glencoe guides and I like that they're free. I'm also going to look into Figuratively Speaking - it looks like I had that saved to my favorites a while back and just forgot about it so I will look again.