Menu

So rude! Why do people think...

[Rant Here] :rant:

Why do people think they can say rude things, put a smilie after it and people won't take offense or be hurt:glare:?

Why do people think that if they say "Excuse me" first, they can shove you out of their way?:glare:

Where are our basic human decency and manners?:confused:

[Rant over]

Edited by Cheryl in NM

Why do people think they can say rude things, put a smilie after it and people won't take offense or be hurt:glare:?

Why do people think that if they say "Excuse me" first, they can shove you out of their way?:glare:

Where are our basic human decency and manners?:confused:

[Rant over]

I totally agree, rude people are the worst, well perhaps the second worst behind stupid people! Oh, and passive agressive people too! :D

Edited by RanchGirl

Why do people think they can say rude things, put a smilie after it and people won't take offense or be hurt:glare:?[Rant over]

The most horrific things are often said accompanied by the sweetest smile, though I find the art doesn't translate well to message boards. However, sometimes it can be a matter of perception. I've noticed increasingly people taking offense at this or that then assume that: (1) the offense was intentional (duh, why else would they possibly feel offended?); and (2) they now have the right to respond (intentionally) in kind (or worse).

The most horrific things are often said accompanied by the sweetest smile, though I find the art doesn't translate well to message boards. However, sometimes it can be a matter of perception. I've noticed increasingly people taking offense at this or that then assume that: (1) the offense was intentional (duh, why else would they possibly feel offended?); and (2) they now have the right to respond (intentionally) in kind (or worse).

I'm not a big Ricky Gervais fan, but I recently saw a quote of his that I just love. "Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right."

There is not a universal standard for what is polite and what is rude. That makes it difficult.

Rosie

:iagree:

I think I just had an overload of rude behavior over the course of the last month! I just reached my limit today! Maybe a beer will help me :chillpill:! :tongue_smilie:

I like to remember a part from the last Harry Potter book. One of Harry's horrid relations (Petunia or Vernon) says to Dumbldore something along the lines of "I don't mean to be rude, but..." and he cuts the person off quickly with "Sadly, accidental rudeness happens so often. Best to say nothing."

I am just waiting for the day I get to whip that one out! I hope it's my MIL.

I totally agree, rude people are the worst, well perhaps the second worst behind stupid people! Oh, and passive agressive people too! :D

Passive aggressive people really get under my skin.I cannot refrain from calling them out on it either!

But, it's always best to let it go...if you can. Sorry OP that you had an overdose of rude.

So Dh just told me this joke:

Three southern belles where having a tea one afternoon, discussing wonderful things there husbands had done for them as wedding gifts.

SB #1: My husband just bought me these diamond earrings?

SB #3: Isn't that nice!

Sb #2: My husband sent me to a spa for a week.

SB #1 to SB #3: What did your husband do for you, dear?

SB #3: He sent me to finishing school.

SB #2: Why whatever for?

SB #3: So I could learn to say "Isn't that nice! Instead of {expletive} you!"

:001_huh:

:lol:

Because they're depending on the well-mannered people to stifle themselves to keep from being rude back.:glare:

Miss Manners points out that it isn't rude to react to rudeness. There are several ways to do that; one is to stare at the rude person until he realizes he has done something wrong and begins to feel uncomfortable. Another is to let one's mouth fall open in shock before doing anything. Bursting into tears is sometimes appropriate. Just depends on the circumstances....

Because they're depending on the well-mannered people to stifle themselves to keep from being rude back.:glare:

Miss Manners points out that it isn't rude to react to rudeness. There are several ways to do that; one is to stare at the rude person until he realizes he has done something wrong and begins to feel uncomfortable. Another is to let one's mouth fall open in shock before doing anything. Bursting into tears is sometimes appropriate. Just depends on the circumstances....

Unfortunately, the bolded is my reaction! I think it is a flaw of our society that we are all expected to just take it when others are rude!

So Dh just told me this joke:

Three southern belles where having a tea one afternoon, discussing wonderful things there husbands had done for them as wedding gifts.

SB #1: My husband just bought me these diamond earrings?

Sb #2: My husband sent me to a spa for a week.

SB #1 to SB #3: What did your husband do for you, dear?

SB #3: He sent me to finishing school.

SB #2: Why whatever for?

SB #3: So I could learn to say "Isn't that nice! Instead of {expletive} you!"

:001_huh:

:lol:

:lol: My Mom told me that joke! Well, the reply was "How nice!" in my Mom's version. Words of wisdom.