Menu

Worship

What is true worship? As some of you know about me, I am exploring the EO church. I wanted to open this up to all however, because I want to know what everyone thinks. Is true worship a type of art expressed toward God (someone else's words, not mine). If not, what is it?

Hmmm....I tend to think of worship as kind of like meeting and connecting with God in an intimate way. I don't feel like I'm worshiping by living my life on a daily basis. I try to live according to God's Word, but I don't feel I'm worshiping when I do that. I feel that I'm worshiping when I'm talking with God, praising God, singing to God....connecting with God in a moment.

Guest Katia

Simply put....I believe that worship is the act of giving worth to God. Giving Him the praise that He deserves. Giving Him our worship.

I feel that worship is being in the presence of the Lord, of sharing fellowship with Him. I have rarely felt His presence in a church; that is just my personal experience.

I feel His presence every time I pray. I feel Him in so many moments -- walking along the beach, watching my children sleep, serving others in my community, when I hear beautiful music, in times of despair. I can't explain it. I just *feel* him. I feel close to Him. I feel His love, and in those moments I feel such awe and gratitude; I am humbled. That fellowship, to me, is worship.

I like what Nancy Leigh Demoss says:

"We said that praise and worship are my response to the revelation of who God is.

Let me say, by the way, we’re all worshipers. We all worship or praise something or someone. We’re made to worship. We can’t help ourselves. The question is, who or what do we worship?

The fact is, most of us worship ourselves. We worship things. We worship this earth. We worship our own hopes and desires and our families and our houses and our time and our reputation. Those are the things that are precious to us.

But true worship is coming to see the incredible value and worth of Christ as surpassing anything else that might have meaning to me."

I also think that daily acts of obedience to Him are "acts of worship". So, I see anything I do if I do it as unto the Lord, as an act of worship. If I can clean my house (etc.) without grumbling and complaining and have an attitude of thankfulness in my heart to the Lord, then I see that as worship. Obviously, there is no way that this is possible without the Holy Spirit's working this out in my life. When I am in my flesh, I do what pleases me.

I enjoy corporate worship with the body of Christ, but I can also enjoy worship throughout my day when I am focused on who Jesus Christ is and am surrendered to Him-trying to practice His presence throughout the day. ...I fail more than I would like.

I believe that worship is what we do in response to God, in recognition of who He is. This can be done in an infinite number of ways.

:iagree:

I believe worship is the automatic response to entering into His presence. It is a posture of sorts that can't help but acknowledge his greatness. If you're singing, working, playing, and doing it all for the glory of God as a part of this response, you are living a life of worship.

For those who can, please explain or site sources that helped you come to understand what worship is.

I believe that worship is what we do in response to God, in recognition of who He is. This can be done in an infinite number of ways.

Just saw your follow-up so I'll explain. I learned this from my Grandmother. She lived with us when I was a kid & she lost her vision as she aged. She wasn't in the greatest health in general & never really learned english so she spent most of her time at home & tried to keep herself busy. She did things like organizing my dresser drawers & I asked her one time why she liked organizing my drawers so much. Her answer was that she was doing it for God. That's the simple explanation.

I usually think of Is. 6:1-8 when I'm thinking about worship. To worship, it is necessary to be confronted with who God is so that we can clearly see the difference between Him and ourselves. If we open ourselves to Him completely, He will point out to us the things (attitudes, habits, deeds, etc.) that aren't okay and convict us of them. This gives us a good opportunity to repent and allow Him to realign our hearts and lives to Himself. We can then come away refreshed, forgiven, and ready to be used by Him.

In good times, I try to do this as often as possible - weekly corporate worship, daily private worship, etc. More often than not, it's the goal I aim for in between wriggling tots, "Mama, can I draw?" and dishes - missing the mark more than hitting it.

A book on the subject of worship that I've dipped into several times (but have yet to read completely) is Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It is a collection of letters from a Catholic monk describing his quest to make every action of every day one of worship to God.

HTH!

Mama Anna

Worship is primarily where God comes to us, in the Divine Service. He gives us sustenance through Word and Sacrament. We respond in thanksgiving and prayers. He lets us ask him for things. We do. He freely and richly forgives us, and puts His righteousness upon us. We thank Him. He gives us His Holy Spirit richly. We see babies baptized, we receive the Lord's Supper. God serves us. We thank Him.

We worship with all the angel and archangels and other Christians alive on earth and in heaven. Worship is the earthly manifestation of the Communion of Saints.

• 4 weeks later...