Menu

We Want to be Great Moms

The "kefluffle" over the recent confession thread really left me thinking. Most of us here really want to be great moms. Otherwise, so many things we confessed wouldn't even be *thought* about. That's why so many of us got really angry for those things to be considered "neglectful". No, they really weren't neglectful. They were just being a decent mom, as opposed to a great one.

A great mom might feed her kid hot, healthy meals all the time. But if you feed your kid sugary cereal for dinner...well, you are still a decent mom that day. Your kid is still fed.

A great mom might never zone out in front of the computer for a day. But are you still a decent mom that day? Ladies, you are homeschooling your kids, most of you BY CHOICE. And unless your kids were out committing terrorist crimes while you were on the computer, then you bet you are still a decent mom.

I think we are just so hard on ourselves, because we do want to be great moms. We don't want to be just decent, we want to be great. We try really hard for that, and we should. We set high standards for ourselves, and we should. But when we fall a little short of the goal, we are still ok. Our kids are still ok. If we weren't at least *decent* moms we wouldn't even be worrying about it!

So, here's to all the great moms out there, who all have our days of being "just decent"...which, you know what, is still pretty great! And our kids are still pretty lucky to have us!

:cheers2:

The "kefluffle" over the recent confession thread really left me thinking. Most of us here really want to be great moms. Otherwise, so many things we confessed wouldn't even be *thought* about. That's why so many of us got really angry for those things to be considered "neglectful". No, they really weren't neglectful. They were just being a decent mom, as opposed to a great one.

A great mom might feed her kid hot, healthy meals all the time. But if you feed your kid sugary cereal for dinner...well, you are still a decent mom that day. Your kid is still fed.

A great mom might never zone out in front of the computer for a day. But are you still a decent mom that day? Ladies, you are homeschooling your kids, most of you BY CHOICE. And unless your kids were out committing terrorist crimes while you were on the computer, then you bet you are still a decent mom.

I think we are just so hard on ourselves, because we do want to be great moms. We don't want to be just decent, we want to be great. We try really hard for that, and we should. We set high standards for ourselves, and we should. But when we fall a little short of the goal, we are still ok. Our kids are still ok. If we weren't at least *decent* moms we wouldn't even be worrying about it!

So, here's to all the great moms out there, who all have our days of being "just decent"...which, you know what, is still pretty great! And our kids are still pretty lucky to have us!

:cheers2:

Where is that LIKE button when I need it?

Yep sometimes it is okay to just be a good enough Mom for the day.

I think part of it is social pressure and competition. I remember when I was younger if a woman didn't work outside of the house she considered herself a "Housewife" which focused on being a good wife. Now the label has become Stay at home Mom. Either focuses on a role, and making a decision that this is what you are means you want to try your best, and admitting that you aren't the best at something isn't always comfortable. I think perhaps putting that much focus on our role as Mothers can be detrimental. We sometimes lose our identities as Women and get hyper competitive with others who are also what we call ourselves.

What worries me are the women who have become little besides "Mom" and what happens when their kids don't turn out how they expect. It can be a huge crisis, not just in the family for the child, but the parent and everything they thought about themselves.