Menu

Healthy people - help me with my lunch salad

I am a person that likes to have a predictable lunch. I'm allergic to wheat, corn, tree nuts, soy, MSG, melons, and cinnamon, and I need help with lunch.

I've been trying to make an easy, filling salad with a variety of healthy stuff in it.

My typical salad contains the following:

a generous portion of mixed baby greens

cherry tomatoes

a couple of tablespoons hummus

a couple of tablespoons of feta

a leftover steamed vegetable - today it was a cup of steamed broccoli

olive oil and balsamic vinegar

What else can I put in that is easy to to add, will give good nutrition and won't require too much additional preparation?

Peppers (red, orange, or green), sprouts, cucumber, black or kidney beans, onions (vidalia,sweet, spring), other kinds of cheese. Still thinking, brocoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery.

I make a base salad, then add seasoned taco meat (from scratch) and cheddar/jack cheese and black beans. Or add chicken, or tuna salad, or sliced roast beef.

Change up the meats, alternate out the veggies and cheeses, and get a few salad dressing recipes you like!

sundried tomatoes

various types of olives- we love the special marinated ones but kalamata are great

avocado

sprouts (i love sunflower sprouts and ming bean sprouts)

mixed tamari nuts- either bake or dry toast in a heavy frypan, a mixture of almonds, sunflower seedsm pepitas and sesame seeds (or jsut sunflower seeds), until lightly toasted. While still very hot, add a splash of soy sauce, Braggs or tamari and stir in, and let it evaporate. Let them dry and then cool, and then place in a jar. Use a couple of tablespoons on salad.

Different salad dressings- home made- can be good too. Avocado dressing, asian salad dressing, I make a great pink goji berry salad dressing. I make them in bulk and keep them in the fridge.

Can you eat Pine Nuts? Some people with allergies to tree nuts can eat them.

A friend of mine makes a wonderful spinach salad that's really easy: Fresh spinach, strawberries, pine nuts, feta cheese and a sort of balsamic viniagrette (she makes her own). It's VERY tasty! I'm sure it could be eaten without pine nuts, or you could sub in something else.

Can you eat Pine Nuts? Some people with allergies to tree nuts can eat them.

A friend of mine makes a wonderful spinach salad that's really easy: Fresh spinach, strawberries, pine nuts, feta cheese and a sort of balsamic viniagrette (she makes her own). It's VERY tasty! I'm sure it could be eaten without pine nuts, or you could sub in something else.

I haven't tried - I have a fear of trying things related to things I'm allergic to.