Menu

? for those of you in Washington state

Our niece called me the other day all excited because she is going to start homeschooling her daughter on Monday! :001_smile: I am very happy for her, she really wants to do a good job, and it sounds like her daughter will really benefit from it (she was receiving inappropriate "interventions" for learning disorders which have caused her to fall behind and view herself as stupid and unteachable - and she's only 7).

My niece was calling me to ask about homeschooling materials, scheduling, etc for her daughter (and for her 2 boys who she will start homeschooling next year). As our conversation went on, I realized that what she is really signed up for is a a home-learning/ enrichment program that seems to be heavily regulated by the school district and although it involves enrichment classes once a week, online support (but no computer), a per pupil stipend, and a mentor program (which she has not been assigned yet), she seems rather limited in what materials she can use and she has to fill out a lot of paperwork (including monthly portfolios) and has a very strict hours requirement. It seems that every suggestion I made (like taking a detox period, specific curriculum she might try, joining a coop, etc) she had some reason why she couldn't do or use it (needs to fulfill her weekly hours starting Monday, no religious material allowed, most coops don't follow the required plan, etc). She gave me a website that she's supposed to log in to that outlines her plans, but I can't access it without a password (wingsnw.com).

Is anyone familiar with this program? Are there any homeschool groups or an individual family near Forks, WA who might be able to take her under their wing and help her out as she starts out? The school system basically agreed that homeschooling would be the best option for her daughter, signed her up for a program mom didn't understand, then intimidated her with a bunch of rules to follow. If anyone could give her some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Btw, I asked my niece's permission before posting and she would be very thankful for any help anyone could give her. Thanks!

She is not required to be a part of any program. She has the right to pull out of it and homeschool independently. WA state requires homeschoolers to file a Declaration of Intent with the school district and complete a yearly test (which does not need to be reported or filed). She also needs to take a qualifying course if she doesn't have at least 45 college credits or the oversight of a public school teacher.

We do have "public school at home" programs in WA. It sounds like she has (perhaps unwittingly) joined one of them. This would technically make her kids public school students, even though they are being taught at home, and would provide them with certain resources in exchange for some oversight. Which resources and how much oversight varies from program to program. I am in one that I like, but they're not for everyone.

Have her google Washington Homeschool Organization if she needs info about independent homeschooling. Also, she is welcome to contact me directly if she has questions--PM me and I can give you my email to give her.

As far as stuff in Forks, it is a very small town, and the closest small city (Port Angeles) is 90 min away. I know PA has some groups if she is willing to make the drive, a lot of people from Forks make a weekly or bi-weekly trip to PA to hit Wal-Mart and stuff. The groups in PA probably aren't huge though--the Olympic Peninsula is a very isolated part of the state (from this city girl's perspective, at least!).

She has signed up for a public school at home program. The child, if enrolled at more than 50% level, is still a public-schooler according to the legal definition.

This is different from independent homeschooling.

Here is the home-based instruction law:

http://www.washhomeschool.org/homeschooling/law.html

I live on the opposite side of the state, but I really enjoy helping new homeschoolers find their way, so I would be glad to correspond/speak with her.

Since the child has been enrolled, she'll need to fill out an Intent sheet. WHO has it printable... it is just one page. Since her girl is so young, I'd encourage her to do it alone and then look into something if she needs help. Or, the Columbia Virtual Academy is MUCH more loose, and if she'd like absolute hand-holding, you can get Calvert for free from them. She can get the stipend from them with much more of a loose rein. Several people here use it.

My husband was born in Forks. I've gone there a couple times. It is backwater, depressed, and isolated. And wet.

I wonder what was going on that the school told her that homeschool would be the best? And, of course, all they know is school at home.

She's in an alternative program many districts have set up to lure homeschoolers into the district. Essentially, parents teach 80% of the time (4 days/week), and a teacher teaches 20% (1 day/week) of the time. Her kids will not be classified as homeschoolers - they'll be full-time enrolled public school students, and the district will receive full-time funding for them. These programs are becomming quite popular with increased discontent in Washington public schools. It's a way for districts to continue to receive funding for kids who would otherwise leave the district to homeschool. wingsnw.com is just the engine they use.

They won't allow you to claim with your stipend any materials that could be construed in any way to be religious in nature. She can still buy them out of pocket and use them at home. She just can't be reimbursed for them. Some schools are more relaxed on this issue than others, but this one sounds pretty serious about it. The one in our district wouldn't even allow Peace Hill Press publications because the logo resembles a cross! :confused: The way to get the most for your money is to use the stipend to pay for activities like piano lessons, sports, or field trips, and buy whatever curricula you want out of pocket.

Pros: The amount of the stipend varies district to district, but can be $500 or more per semester per student; Offers a break for mom one day a week and social time for dc.

Cons: You're right, her program does sound heavily regulated, and it's not necessary; A school this heavily regulated will probably expect her kids to take the state tests (by law they do not have to as public school students); She's held accountable to the school district and must be prepared to defend what she's teaching as well as show results in her dc.

I'm on the east side, but I'd be happy to talk with her if you thought I could be helpful (welcome to pm me). The Washington Homeschool Organization will also have information on these programs, although they take a hard stance against them because they are meant to deplete the homeschooling population. www.washhomeschool.org My personal stance is that while it's one more option for parents in Washington and we were happy to have it when we attended one, parents must always remain vigilant and confident in our ability to make the best decisions for our kids.

Since the child has been enrolled, she'll need to fill out an Intent sheet.

That's incorrect. She's enrolled, therefore, she won't fill out a Declaration of Intent to Homeschool. She's a public school student enrolled in an alternative program.

That's incorrect. She's enrolled, therefore, she won't fill out a Declaration of Intent to Homeschool. She's a public school student enrolled in an alternative program.

No, I mean to ditch that load of mature (I mean, the alternative program). (Did I just say that!:D)

Generally, you don't have to put in Intent before child is 8, but since she has been enrolled, she will, if she does homeschool.

No, I mean to ditch that load of mature (I mean, the alternative program). (Did I just say that!:D)

Generally, you don't have to put in Intent before child is 8, but since she has been enrolled, she will, if she does homeschool.

Oh! My mistake. That is correct, then! If she decides to homeschool independently instead, without using this program, she will now have to file a Declaration of Intent.

My middle name must be it-is-all-about-the-money, but I always thought it was nifty way for the school district to get a student on the rosters but not in their classrooms. :)

Exactly, as well as WASL scores (typically higher than than the average public school's) reflected for the district. Because each student is considered 100% enrolled but is only taught by a salaried teacher 20% of the time, it only makes sense that the programs are quite profitable as well. Really, I don't know how they get away with it.

My middle name must be it-is-all-about-the-money, but I always thought it was nifty way for the school district to get a student on the rosters but not in their classrooms. :)

:iagree:

If there's any way the school district can get the student to stay enrolled (whether through regular attendance or through this type of program), they're highly motivated to do so by the $$ it brings the district. I had an administrator's secretary tell me this blatantly once (I was asking about a son playing football, and that's all; she said he'd still have to enroll so they "could get their money").

To the OP's niece: There are different ways of educating your daughter, from the home. Your school has presented you with one option (arguably, the one that would benefit them the most, which doesn't make it a bad option, but it also doesn't make it the best one for your child). In Washington, you don't have to do ANY formal educating until they're 8 (although since she's been enrolled, you'll have to file the LOI now). I would say realize that you have lots of time to step back, take a breath, do some reading, and spend some more quality one-on-one time with your daughter. Don't feel pressured by anyone. There are some fantastic options out there for homeschooling, including having nothing to do with the school district other than filing that pesky annual LOI.

Edited by milovaný

My mom lived in forks as a young girl and my grandparents are resting there now. We visit there about once a year and I like it for its quietness. I am on the south of the hood canal, so still to far away for a meetup but wouldn't mind chatting or helping out with advice on WA homeschooling.

Since it is close to summer time, anyway you can ask her to think about it and research during the summer to figure out the best plan for the next school year? I think WA is very relaxed for requirements on homeschooling compared to a lot of other states, so if she doesn't want so much restriction hopefully she can find another method that will work for her.

Just to pipe up here, she should also have the option of enrolling part-time, which means she would retain her status as an independent home-schooler (and more freedom), albeit with a somewhat-reduced dollar amount.

I participate in our local program as a legally-still-a-homeschooler-but-participating-part-time-in-a-public-school-program, which is how I know about this. I'm really happy with mine, but we have a very flexible program and administrators, so it's really no big deal to participate (plus my son LOVES his school days there, and my husband loves that we get some value back for all the tax dollars we pay every year to the school district).

However, I agree that your daughter should look at all her options first, especially since her program sounds rigid. The WA Homeschool Organization lists support groups, I believe - perhaps there is one in Forks.

Ditto what everyone else has said. IMO, she should file an intent (which is now required because her daughter's enrolled in the public school at home program) and give her daughter through the end of the school year to decompress.

I'm quite a distance from her, too, as I'm in Tacoma. But she could consider signing up for groups on meetup and yahoo that may not be close, but will still give her online contact with other parents that are fairly local to her. It's a good way to find out things like, Pacific Science Center has the first Monday of every month free for everyone, and, Point Defiance Zoo has a free day coming up soon, too.

These things might be a drive for her, but if she knows about it ahead of time and is interested in it, it sure would make these things more accessible to her.

I do agree with looking up WHO

http://www.washhomeschool.org/

Janice Hedden is the founder of this organization, and she is wonderful. Her kids are grown now, but she is still very active in the organization. She and a woman named Paula give a homeschooling training session in several places each year. If your niece doesn't fulfill the requirements in some other way (ie:college degree) then she will need to take a class to be eligible to homeschool. I really recommend the one that Janice gives.

Also, she should consider going to the WHO convention in June. It's in Puyallup, at the fairgrounds, so it is a distance from her, but there are vendors galore, and many speakers, and it is worth it. Especially if you are new. Since she's so far, she probably wouldn't want to go both days. It's June 17th and 18th this year, which is a Friday and Saturday. I've been twice now and it's usually busier on Friday.

So, IMO, she should file an intent for her dd, then let her dd decompress while your niece relaxes and researches all her options.

And lots of luck to her! My ds was a mess after his horrible preschool experience and that is why we are homeschooling today.

If she is dead set on utilizing the PS program, she may want to look into a way to make it so she is not considered a PS student. There is a program here where you can enroll in fewer than x number of hours/week and still maintain HS'er status. Perhaps there is a loophole in the one in Forks.

Since her daughter is only 7, she is technically under the age of compulsory ed here (8) so she won't need to test her this year (no testing required until kids are 8) but she will need to file a letter of intent with the district since she was previously enrolled in PS. She should use the one on the WHO site since school districts often try to get more information than they are legally entitled to request.

If I were in her shoes, I would just pull the child completely and spend the next few months deprogramming her from the PS experience. Living in Forks, I would spend a lot of time exploring the Olympic Peninsula and enjoying the beauty of the area.

Just to pipe up here, she should also have the option of enrolling part-time, which means she would retain her status as an independent home-schooler (and more freedom), albeit with a somewhat-reduced dollar amount.

I participate in our local program as a legally-still-a-homeschooler-but-participating-part-time-in-a-public-school-program, which is how I know about this. I'm really happy with mine, but we have a very flexible program and administrators, so it's really no big deal to participate (plus my son LOVES his school days there, and my husband loves that we get some value back for all the tax dollars we pay every year to the school district).

That's true, too. In Washington legal homeschoolers (those having filed a Declaration of Intent) have the right to enroll part-time in whatever classes or activities they wish. She can participate in after school activities or just enroll for art, music, PE, etc. However, I believe it may ultimately be within the principal's discretion as to whether they'll allow you the school of your choice.

I've also found that many educators are quite ignorant about all the enrollment options we actually have in Washington. When I approached our principal about the part-time option and the word "homeschool" was mentioned, he reflexively deferred me to our district's homeschool program as if that's the department who deals with "those people"! :glare: We decided not to pursue it at the time anyway, but likely will in the 6th grade when they begin teaching Connected Math.

On a somewhat related tangent, I'm finding it somewhat advantageous to allow my dc to take the state tests for their school. Since they've begun taking the test (and scoring high), our principal has been much more willing to work with me. I'm thinking that when I approach the part-time option again, it may go more easily my way.

I am not in WA but all of my in-laws are. 2 of my neices and 2 of my nephews did this type program. Since the parents were comfortable with the curriculum the schools used, they were happy with that part. One neice did have some learning issues and was able to have her work load modified accordingly. My SIL did have to ask for the accomodations and have something like a partial IEP to document what they were doing. They found though that without the daily pressures of school my neice didn't need as much in modifications. Doing it on her own helped her to do so much better. The kids would attend school on Monday to turn in assignments,take tests, and receive the next ones. They were not in Forks, but their school allowed them to email the teachers for help. It really reminded me of doing some independent studies in college - where the study was very directed but you didn't have to attend class.

What they all liked was that by using the school program the kids could still participate in proms, special activities, and such with friends that remained in the school. Plus they could walk at graduation.

Now, as a traditional homeschooler, having that much involvement with the schools is not what I would want to do. It worked well though with my extended family. There is only a couple of months of school left, then summer vacation. She can give it a try until school is out, I assume, and if she doesn't like it, change her mind over summer and do something different.

It doesn't sound like she was considering home education until the school system suggested it. Our program in our town has been helpful for many families making the transition from public school to homeschooling. I know many homeschoolers in WA are opposed to these partnership programs but I think the accountability can be helpful in certain situations.

I have two children taking advantage of two aspects of the program - I do have to file monthly progress reports for each child and the child who does not attend on-campus classes has contact with our supervising teacher once a week by phone. She will also be required to take the MSP this year. Our supervising teacher is not overbearing but my kids haven't had any major learning issues yet.

We participate because it is a consistent community of homeschoolers that we can not seem to find elsewhere in our area.

I recommend that she start with anything for this year and start researching what she wants to use for next year. I've been using Rod&Staff this year which is highly religious (I bought this myself) and report on the grammar content we've completed. I'm planning to use Heart of Dakota next year with my first grader but I will probably not list that as a resource. I will list all of the literature, the spelling plan, history, etc. I don't find it difficult meet the time requirements because we read aloud so much and do plenty of learning activities together. Our program does not require us to keep track of time but just to certify that we meet the requirement. The stipend we receive has helped our family through a difficult time financially. I use it for ballet, violin lessons and some materials.

Edited by Manamana

I don't believe those programs require the state testing (MSP -- formerly WASL).

I imagine she'll have to provide some kind of assessment, but anyone (even fully-enrolled ps students) can opt-out of taking the MSP here in Washington.

The program we are in (CVA) requires that we take a standardized test of some kind, we do the MAP (by NWEA) which CVA provides. It is computer-based and adjusts the difficulty of the questions based on whether students answer correctly.

We don't have to take the MSP. Some programs do require it (though it sounds like one can opt out?).

Thank you all so much for all of your replies! I am not familiar at all with Washington State homeschool laws (and I suspect that my niece isn't either), so all of this information and links have been very helpful. I will be contacting some of you via pm for more info or for contact info.

My niece actually mentioned homeschooling to the school special ed director and that person thought it would be a good fit for her daughter. However, the more I talk with my niece, the more I think she was left in the dark as to what her options are. To make things even more difficult, she doesn't have a computer at home so she can only access the internet at the library. Which wouldn't be a big deal, but her car just broke down. :glare: (Thus why I offered to come on and try to find her an in-the-know, in-state contact.) We'll get her to where she needs to be; she's just having a hard time finding traction to get started and is feeling a tad frustrated and overwhelmed right now.

Thank you all again so much for your help!

We'll get her to where she needs to be; she's just having a hard time finding traction to get started and is feeling a tad frustrated and overwhelmed right now.

Thank you all again so much for your help!

Please reassure her she can take some time to get her traction. Since the girl is 7, there is time. That might help her feel less frantic and painted in a corner. She could finish the year and eval how it went, and do some research over the summer if she doesn't want to continue with what the school suggested. And if it works wonderfully, she hasn't burned any bridges.

She will also be required to take the MSP this year.

We don't have to take the MSP. Some programs do require it (though it sounds like one can opt out?).

Students classified as full-time public school students do NOT have to take the MSP. Contrary to what OSPI and local districts, principals, and teachers tell parents, every parent has the right to refuse the test. Principals and teachers are specifically instructed on how to put guilty pressure on parents who want to opt-out, but the MSP is never required. The propaganda is so good, I've talked to teachers who didn't even know parents could opt-out. At this point the HSPE (high school state test) isn't even required for graduation, although your high school counselor and principal will make it sound like their jobs depend on your child's score! :glare:

It's a big, fat misconception.

Edited by BabyBre