Menu

If you want a truly inclusive convention

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am bumping this because things got busy and I got behind in reading. I'm *also* trying to figure out how to work the new site. :lol:

In the meantime, is anyone transferring these posts or ideas there? I SURE would hate to lose them...

Guest Dulcimeramy
I am bumping this because things got busy and I got behind in reading. I'm *also* trying to figure out how to work the new site. :lol:

In the meantime, is anyone transferring these posts or ideas there? I SURE would hate to lose them...

Would you be willing to multi-quote the posts you think should be transferred?

(Does PHP own all content here once it is posted? Are we allowed to copy posts elsewhere?)

Guest Dulcimeramy
Ahhhh! Really?? I mean this thread is FULL of ideas.

Are all of the posters in this thread registered with you? Maybe we can all just *repost*. :lol:

There you go! Each is responsible for perpetuating her own brilliance...

Really tired of not fitting in among other homeschoolers. We usually hang with *gasp* public school families! Definitely want to encourage inclusive homeschoolers to come out of hiding here in Houston! I could contribute some $ as well as write about our days of trying to educate those who would rather pick belly lint, aka my sons.

I attended the GHC. I purchased from Geo-Matters, Rainbow Resource, Math U See, Einstein's Insomnia, PHP, Analytical Grammar and others. I should note that KH's facebook has a photo of John Holt's Biology book as an example of books "infiltrating" the community. I purchased the homeschool set from RR (online, not at the conference though).

This makes me want to order John Holt's Biology book - right now :)

We need articles for the website, pronto. Articles about homeschooling and education and not about fear or particular lifestyles. Joyful, smart articles, sorted by category.

If we can't write these articles in a hurry, maybe someone could find something good and non-polarizing that someone else has written and get their permission to use it.

We want good, strong articles that define what it means to be "inclusive."

1. "Inclusive" does not mean: Here is a statement of faith and only those who sign it get to talk.

2. "Inclusive" does not mean: You can come but understand that you are our mission field.

3. "Inclusive" does not mean: Secular. No religious talk allowed.

4. "Inclusive" does not mean: These books/these goals/these methods only. You can stay if you are different but expect to be marginalized.

5. "Inclusive" does not mean: Unschooling dominates. Don't bring that Latin here unless you want to be called draconian.

6. "Inclusive" does not mean: We allow some religion here but only protestant Christian. Catholics, Muslims, Mormons, Buddhists, and pagans need not apply. We're fairly comfortable with Baptists.

7. "Inclusive" does not mean: Anything goes as long as you are homeschooling all of your children. If one of your kids goes to public school, you are not our type.

Inclusive does mean that I am a homeschooler and so are you, and we're both grownups, so, theoretically, at least, we can talk to each other. I'm homeschooling my kids only and you are doing the same. I'm not afraid of you and you're not afraid of me. We are different, but we are......friends.

Or something like that.

I'm also thinking of methodology and theory that can be of interest to a wide range of homeschoolers. Want to help me make a list? It can be curriculum, too, if it is from someplace like PHP that has tried to make the work accessible to many.

Here's my starter list of topics:

Classical Unschooling

Latin and Greek

Great Books

Charlotte Mason

High School Stuff (transcripts, etc.)

Phonics and Spelling

Math, Math, Math, Math, Math

Homeschooling Gifted Children

Homeschooling Children with Learning Differences

Homeschooling in Varied Circumstances and Locations

I hope these ideas will spur the smarter people here to greater thoughts.

I can work on an article this week... Maybe I can contribute after all!

Guest Dulcimeramy

Update: The work on the Ning site is going very, very well! It is a newsroom of sorts for people working to create content for the public site.

The reason I am updating here is that 16 posters in this thread said they were 'in' but I did not receive an email from them. So I'll pm each of those 16 to offer a special invitation.

Anyone else reading who is interested in creating a truly inclusive homeschooling website, with a goal of having IRL inclusive support groups and inclusive conventions in the future, please pm me and I will invite you to join the project.

P.S. This project takes nothing from WTM (in that we are all still chatty, happy members here and not doing stuff over there that we'd rather do here) and is not sponsored by WTM in any way.

I've long believed that there need to be homeschooling groups at all levels -- local, state, and national -- that are accessible to all homeschoolers. Call me naive, but it has always seemed wrong to me that religious organizations seem to run so many of the conventions and call the shots (including influencing state homeschooling regulations). To me, these organizations do not accurately reflect the many kinds of home educators or the many reasons they homeschool. For the record, I'm a politically and socially conservative evangelical Christian. ;)

All of which is to say ... I think that an inclusive homeschooling organization is a wonderful idea. I'm short on money and time and long on impassioned opinions. :) In the process of moving from the East Coast to the Upper Midwest.

Update: The work on the Ning site is going very, very well! It is a newsroom of sorts for people working to create content for the public site.

The reason I am updating here is that 16 posters in this thread said they were 'in' but I did not receive an email from them. So I'll pm each of those 16 to offer a special invitation.

Anyone else reading who is interested in creating a truly inclusive homeschooling website, with a goal of having IRL inclusive support groups and inclusive conventions in the future, please pm me and I will invite you to join the project.

P.S. This project takes nothing from WTM (in that we are all still chatty, happy members here and not doing stuff over there that we'd rather do here) and is not sponsored by WTM in any way.

I'm not one of the 16, but I am interested. Sending you a PM.