Menu

SWB in Cinci talks

I heard SWB for the first time in person in Cinci this weekend. If you've never heard her talks -- it's FABULOUS information and she's such FUN as a speaker!! (She looked tired, though -- say a prayer for our busy, well-loved mentor.)

The 2 talks I went to of hers were The Well-Prepared Student: Get Ready for College and Homeschooling the REAL Child -- both were absolutely fantastic!

Jenn

I was also in Getting Ready for College, and I have to say I was surprised at how funny SWB was. Really--the whole discussion of college instructors liking students better if they're clean was priceless. The talk itself was excellent from a substantive point of view, which I expected, but I did not expect the entertainment value. I thought the same of Julie Bogart from Bravewriter.

Terri

I was also in Getting Ready for College, and I have to say I was surprised at how funny SWB was. Really--the whole discussion of college instructors liking students better if they're clean was priceless. The talk itself was excellent from a substantive point of view, which I expected, but I did not expect the entertainment value. I thought the same of Julie Bogart from Bravewriter.

Terri

I loved that! I had flashbacks to the helpless, lost young men with instructions sheets from their moms standing in the laundry room at the top of our dorm building the first week of classes.

I went to the college one and the last one, on writing for middle and high school. Both were incredibly helpful.

I was there, too, and appreciated commiseration as I also have a young man wending his way through his freshman year at college. You can't imagine how many times I've asked in the past year if he's actually putting detergent in when he does his laundry. I sneak and sprinkle essential oils in when he brings things home to wash and dry.....

I didn't take notes because she said she'd have the outline of the talks would be on her website in a short time period (a few days?).

She was sooo REAL! Wouldn't she be a blast to have an MNO with?

One of the things she said was for the child to have their own credit card (and know how to use it) BEFORE they leave for college (she said it shouldn't be your parting gift to them). I was planing on teaching her how (like from a book) to manage finances, but it makes more sense to let her learn by doing it before she leaves.

She also talked alot about a gap year and how good that can be.

Terri

:iagree:

I have been attending Susan's sessions for six years now (a friend and I drove to HEAV before the Cincy convention existed) and I keep going back for more. In addition to being smart, funny, practical, and real, she is incredibly affirming. I come away from her talks feeling that I haven't damaged my children for life, and I really am doing a decent job of educating them.