Menu

I just told DH and the boys that I wanted them to learn how to knit

May I ask why? My dd10 is learning but lost her enthusiasm after the first 4 days. I've watched her and she let me do a few stitches but it's so absolutely boring I can't imagine being forced to do it. My dd10 is working on a project for the lady teaching her and she is supposed to knit enough rows to be about 6.5 inches long. It's been 3 weeks and she has one inch so far. Every time I ask her about it, she groans. I don't think she's going to complete the project or go much further. :)

May I ask why? My dd10 is learning but lost her enthusiasm after the first 4 days. I've watched her and she let me do a few stitches but it's so absolutely boring I can't imagine being forced to do it. My dd10 is working on a project for the lady teaching her and she is supposed to knit enough rows to be about 6.5 inches long. It's been 3 weeks and she has one inch so far. Every time I ask her about it, she groans. I don't think she's going to complete the project or go much further. :)

Oh, not serious! Sorry, I was just being silly. I wanted to see what their reactions would be and if they really would want to learn. I got my little guy on it for about 10 seconds until he decided he'd rather watch! LOL!

Many historians think that knitting was originally a guy thing, and women horned in on it later.

It's traditionally taught to all children in Waldorf schools in grades 1 and 2. It's really pretty good for brain development.

So, overall, not such a wild idea that they learn.

I actually just learned to knit last year. My instructor started a kids' class and a little boy was taking it. There are few things cuter than a little boy knitting a swatch of bright hunter's orange!

I think it's really charming - if your sons were older, I'd say to tell them "chicks dig it." :lol:

Oh, not serious! Sorry, I was just being silly.

You wild and crazy woman, you.:tongue_smilie: But ya know, I don't think there's anything silly about guys learning handwork. The idea that it's solely the providence of women is just a cultural thing. Like someone else said, they teach it in Waldorf schools. And most Swiss guys I know (including my husband) are at least as good if not better at some handwork skills than are today's American woman. They learned crochet or knitting or some such as little people ~ and more importantly, they learned the basics of sewing. Very cool, as far as I'm concerned.:D

I don't think it is silly for guys to know how to do things any more than I think it is silly for me to know how to pump gas or change a tire. What is silly is the looks I got. They just have no interest. I wish they did. I will have them learning how to sew -- for mending and buttons purposes. I would love to share this craft with them, but they are not into it right now. Maybe some day.

My dh LOVED LOVED LOVED knitting when he was young (6/7 yo). He stopped after his parents went to conferences and the teacher implied he might not be "straight" if they didn't stop him from knitting......So, needless to say...he doesn't knit anymore...but I think there is nothing wrong with a boy learning to knit. I truly feel if the art isn't passed down it will be lost. I am working with ds soon for sewing...I am worried that too will be lost if people don't continue to see the advantages.

I personally don't know how to knit but my 82 yo grandmother has expressed she plans on teaching ALL of my kids (3 boys age 13, 12, 8 and daughter age 6) to knit this summer. :)

Good luck,

Alison

a lot of the skateboarder/snowboarder guys knit their own hats, and I've seen some of those hats for sale for big bucks! There are lots of cool patterns out there that guys might like, such as the alligator scarf. And my DS loves knitted, stuffed toys, so I have thought about teaching him to make his own!

LauraD in MN

Guest mammato4boys

There is a super cute boy that has a few crocheting videos on Youtube. (It's easier than knitting.) You can find him by searching on Youtube for "how to crochet a hat ( 2-3 ) videos".