Menu

What do you keep your kids clothing in?

We keep shirts, skirts, and dresses hanging in the closet. But pants, shorts, play clothes, swimsuits, undies, jammies, and socks we keep in drawers. Right now they are in the changing table....which is overflowing from 2 kids. And within the next few months we'll be moving the changing table into the baby's new room for his/her arrival in October. So I need something else.

I know that I want two seperate areas...one for each kid. Sharing drawers is getting too confusing. But I'd also like for it to be cost effective. I won't spend hundreds and hundreds on dresser, chest, or drawers. But I also don't want it to look awful since it will be in the room and not hidden in a closet.

What do you use? I didn't know whether to go this route: DRAWERS . And possibly stack another drawer or two on top of it.

Or maybe something like this: CHEST .

Or maybe something that I haven't thought of yet?

I think I would go with a dresser that has 2 sets of 3 drawers stacked side by side. It's lower to the ground so it has less impact if tipped and is great for short kiddos to reach. Then each girl could have a "side" and seperate drawers.

I have 2 boys. Everything is in drawers except dress shirts. :)

I wouldn't use those plastic drawers. They'll die in a couple years at best, and you'll be in the same situation again.

For furniture I like checking out the local thrift shops. I can usually find great, sturdy dressers for $30 or less.

All clothing is in the closet. Current season's clothing is either hanging or folded on shelves. Socks and underwear are in drawers (Wire closet organizer). Out of season/grow into clothing is stored in Rubbermaid totes on the closet floor.

Would under the bed storage be an option?

A deep bookcase

A deep bookcase with plastic milk crates, wicker baskets, or bins (my 6 year old has a rolling cart with 2 shelves and a top...we have a crate for socks, underwear, pjs, and sweat pants and another for shirts, jeans, etc. On the top is a box of legos.)

a laundry basket

a chiffarobe (basically a set of drawers on one side and a cabinet door with shelves behind it..very easy for younger kids to pull things off...one of my kids has this...the downside is its very easy to pull everything off a shelf when they get what they want.)

We also have 2 chests for the older boys and each child has their own round laundry basket for clean clothes (they put away).

Our kids have closets, dressers, but they have something like this in their closets for underwear, socks and such. We have some drawers similar to those that we've had for around 8 or 9 years.

We have a pair of these drawers that we've owned for around 13 years. We have another set of IKEA dressers that we've had just as long, but I don't think they make that particular dresser any more.

A deep bookcase

:iagree:

In our narrow laundry room, across from the washer and dryer, are six 6' long shelves. Each member of our family has their own shelf. At one end, each person has 2 cloth bins - 1 for socks & 1 for underwear. The rest of the shelf is neatly stacked with organized piles of clothes. Each person has a pile of sweats, shirts, pants, and pjs. Easy to see, easy to put away. Love it!

If we didn't have a laundry room, I'd get deep bookshelves... they'd fit right in with the shelves for the actual books.

Our dressers have finally fallen apart, plus we gained 2 children since we bought them. I was thinking of replacing them with the one's you mentioned. Everything else I find seems to be laminate and pressboard. I'm thinking of getting on of these for each child. Around here, even the laminate and pressboard dressers cost more than this!

I will say that those IKEA drawers are really small. We used them for baby clothes, but now dh and I use them as night stands.