Menu

what would you think if your child mispelled these words in a note?

leting - for letting

wach - for watch

permitsen - for permission

liesing - for lying

win - for when

anythings - for anything

diper - for diaper

littel - for little

bose - for boss

T

I wouldn't be concerned if the child is young, because there is a logic to most of the errors. I would think the child has good phonological awareness but, depending on age, might need some work to improve his visual memory.

If the child is in 5th grade or older, I would consider changing spelling curriculum because I would think that what we're using isn't really working for this child.

To learn about syllable division you could use Explode the Code book 4.

http://www.christianbook.com/explode-the-code-book-4/nancy-hall/9780838814635/pd/146363?item_code=WW&netp_id=203443&event=ESRCN&view=details

http://www.christianbook.com/explode-code-teachers-guide-books-and/9780838808542/pd/146854?event=CPOF

"Book 4 covers compound words: common endings -ful, -ing, -ist, -ed, -ness; rules for syllable division between double and different consonants, with open and closed syllables, with syllables ending in -y and -le, dipthong syllables, and three-syllable words."

Target Spelling has some great exercises to help with visual memory. When I had my daughter use that program there was a placement test I used to figure out which book to place her in. I think it was in the teacher's guide. You could contact the company selling the books to ask for help about placing your dd in the correct book for her spelling level, if you are interested in this program.

http://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Cc=HSVTARGE

Edited by Miss Sherry

My dd is 10 and doing 4/5 grade work overall. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

T

I think some remediation is in order, then. ElizabethB's phonics website is included in her signature in her post. Does anyone here know whether AAS includes syllabication? If so, that would also be a good curriculum to use.

I think some remediation is in order, then. ElizabethB's phonics website is included in her signature in her post. Does anyone here know whether AAS includes syllabication? If so, that would also be a good curriculum to use.

Above, I put in a link for Explode the Code Book 4. It teaches syllabication and could be used as a supplement to any program.

This was my 9 y/o last year. Apples & Pears Spelling has really helped him.

Open two windows side by side -

http://www.prometheantrust.org/admin/files/tna.pdf

http://www.prometheantrust.org/admin/files/wba.pdf

:iagree: Except she was 10 last year. My thought when she wrote notes was that no one would believe we actually worked on spelling. We switched to Apples and Pears last summer, and I can't say enough good things about it. :001_smile:

My dd is 10 and doing 4/5 grade work overall. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

T

My dd11yo, 5th grade has similar trouble. Sometimes the words she tend to misspell are spelled correct & sometimes they are not after she has written a letter or paper of some kind.

I recently bought "Natural Speller" by Kathryn Stout. Great spelling book. Check it out online. It covers grade 1-8 & everything in between.

Just read the how to's of the book & determine where to start.

As far as what to do about the letter, I wouldn't do anything besides change my approach to teaching spelling. Which is practically the very same reason why I searched for a different spelling book & discovered "Natural Speller."

I highly recommend it because it teaches you how to teach spelling. It's not a workbook for your child, it's a how-to book for you & lists for the child.

Either my how to tutor page or my online phonics lessons will teach how to spell all those words for free!

I have "The Natural Speller," and it works well for my daughter since I know all the rules, but I wouldn't recommend it for a struggling speller and someone who doesn't know all the spelling rules, "The Natural Speller" only teaches a few of the rules that you would need to learn those words.

"Spelling Plus" teaches most of the rules and focuses on the most frequent 1,000 words, so it's a good program for a struggling speller. It has a companion book called "Spelling Dictation" for someone who needs to write the words in sentences, it helps the words transfer better to outside writing.

I took her to the doctor just this past winter - nothing found - passed hearing screen, etc. : ) Suggestions on homemade speech therapy would be appreciated. Thank you.

T

My son confused several sounds, but his hearing wasn't a problem. The two sounds that took the longest time for him to differentiate were e and i--which looks like what your child did with win for when, (most Americans pronounce the windier /wh/ just like a w, although technically there is a difference.) The spelling mistakes you posted also showed a couple of examples of sounds added where they didn't belong.

You asked originally about spelling, but if speech is also a concern, you might want to have a speech therapist evaluate your child--and if you do then ask the therapist to look specifically at phonemic awareness skills. Detecting individual sounds in words is a different skill than hearing tones.

LiPS (Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing) was developed by a speech therapist. I used it to remediating my son's phonemic awareness problems. In working on that, his speech improved. http://www.ganderpublishing.com/LiPS/ I also use it with my pre-schooler for "homemade speech therapy".

Some of the other spelling programs people already mentioned might be all that your child needs to improve spelling, BUT if speech problems are also a concern, it might be worth looking into that further.