Menu

Please recommend a RELIABLE all-in-one printer

We have the HP c7200 and I love it. I bought if for my job about 4.5 years ago (I had to print out reports daily, so it got a lot of use) and now I've been using it for hs since '08 and I print a TON of stuff off. I've easily gone through 4-5 reams of paper this school year alone and we've still got 12 weeks of printing to go. I {heart} it.

I *loathe* my printer.

It's an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless.

It takes forever in "printer preparation" before it will print.

The ink is expensive.

The wireless part will just drop offline for no particular reason, and then you have to re-install it on every computer on the network, finding the driver, etc.

Often after I replace an ink cartridge it will give me an error message that the Print Head system has failed, and that I should call HP support (yeah, riiiiight...I'll do that when I have an extra 4 hrs to spare deciphering unintelligible "English" spoken by someone in Timbuktu :glare:).

This is the second one I've had. The first one lasted less than a year, was replaced under warranty, and I hate the second one just as much.

All this to say, "Stay away from the HP 6500 Wireless."

We have NOT liked the HP or the Canon. We recently got the Lexmark Pro900 and it's working well so far. We've not had it a year yet, but (fingers crossed) I am hopeful. It's fast, quiet, and the black ink is only $4.99 a cartridge! The three colors are about $20 a piece, but they last a while. Good luck! I HATE spending money on printers and having them fritz out!

Our HP Officejet 8500 died after 12.5months of service and boy was I mad!

We replaced it with a Canon Pixma MX870 which was highly reviewed and is working great. It's slightly higher priced as far as ink consumption goes, although I haven't noticed much of a difference so far. We've only had it a few months so I can't speak for the 12 month deal but we researched our options carefully before plunking down another chunk of change after being burned by our HP!