Menu

Checking reading level....

Pensguys

Can someone tell me where to find a website that will tell you at what grade level a child is reading? I thought I remembered someone linking a place where you could type in some words and it would tell you what grade level.

Thanks.

Sheryl,

What kind of puzzling results did you get? I tested my 7.5yo dd and the results were higher than expected, BUT I didn't check for vocab comprehension...I think I was supposed to do that on the second part :confused: I just went with the words she could read. Maybe I did it wrong.

Just curious what was puzzling to you.

I tested my daughter who is 9 month Kindergarten . She is 6 years old. She tested 5.3 grade/reading level. I knew she was reading well...for example The Boxcar Children (original book) she just read and read it well with amazing comprehension so I just assumed since that is a third grade book that she was on or around a third grade level. The 5th grade level sent me for a loop. Now I know that this is just one dinky internet test and she could test differently on others but I was wondering if this could even be in the ballpark for her. I guess I worry that I won't be able to provide what she needs in a couple of years. Probably silly to be worried about. ..I should be glad she is reading so well not scared of it!

Thanks for the responses.

Sheryl

Thanks for those links. I was hoping to find a website where I could type in text from say the newspaper or something.

For some reason I was thinking you could do that in Word. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I'll try to see if I can remember/figure it out a little later.

For some reason I was thinking you could do that in Word. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I'll try to see if I can remember/figure it out a little later.

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/schrockguide/fry/fry.html

Scroll down a little on the above link and it describes how to do it.

I hope it works. It has been years since I've done it.

In Word (I have Word 2000 if that matters) - go into Tools, Options and click on the "spelling and grammar" tab. Check the box that says "readability statistics" and close the option box. Go back to Tools, now to Spelling & Grammar. It will run a spell check and pop up a box with your stats, including reading level.

Thanks for reminding me this could be done - I haven't done it since college!

In Word (I have Word 2000 if that matters) - go into Tools, Options and click on the "spelling and grammar" tab. Check the box that says "readability statistics" and close the option box. Go back to Tools, now to Spelling & Grammar. It will run a spell check and pop up a box with your stats, including reading level.

Thanks for reminding me this could be done - I haven't done it since college!

Thank you, Aubrey!

I don't have Word 2007 which is what I linked directions to, and I've been fiddling around trying to figure out how to do it with what I have.

Now I know. :D

Sheryl,

Ok, I was in the same boat. Dd 7.5 (1st grade) tested 5.8 reading level. I knew she was reading at end 2nd/early 3rd level (my cousin is a 2nd grade teacher and has helped me out with this). I don't think my dd has the vocab comprehension of some of those words that she can read fluently, so I'm guessing she would be at a lower level. Plus, dd doesn't have much interest in picking up a chapter book. She CAN read whatever she picks up and likes to read but doesn't really choose any bigger books. My cousin said that is age appropriate even if her reading level is higher.

It sounds like your dd does have the comprehension so maybe it is right.

My cousin is bringing her testing "stuff" (even though it's 2nd grade) to see where dd is at in June (she did it in Nov). I think that will give me a better idea

Interesting...but confusing, isn't it :tongue_smilie:

I tested my daughter who is 9 month Kindergarten . She is 6 years old. She tested 5.3 grade/reading level. I knew she was reading well...for example The Boxcar Children (original book) she just read and read it well with amazing comprehension so I just assumed since that is a third grade book that she was on or around a third grade level. The 5th grade level sent me for a loop. Now I know that this is just one dinky internet test and she could test differently on others but I was wondering if this could even be in the ballpark for her. I guess I worry that I won't be able to provide what she needs in a couple of years. Probably silly to be worried about. ..I should be glad she is reading so well not scared of it!

Wow -- that is impressive! Can I ask which reading/phonics program you did with her?

Thanks!

I think that the reading assessment at this site is fairly accurate and it tests several different areas of reading development. The part I thought that might have tested a little high for my dd was vocabulary. I think she may have answered a couple by process of elimination. But all of the other areas thought were right on. It's not free, but with all of the information gained and the report (you can see samples) I thought it was very worth it.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/

Guest mammato4boys
I haven't used this yet, but here's one: http://www.readingkey.com/athena/en/trialTest.php

Hmmmmm.

I'm not digging on this test. Wanna know why? Because I can click correct for each and every word offered and it will still only claim a 5th grade reading level for the student. Something is wrong there. Maybe it's just me not understanding directions... But, I don't understand how you can get each answer correct and still not max out the test. :glare:

Someone asked which reading/phonics program I use. I use Sing Spell Read and Write . I used the combo K-1st. She did the Kindergarten in PreK and finished the 1st grade part this year in Kinder. I did modify the amount of writing expected since she is younger than the program is intended for and after reading TWTM I didn't want her writing abilities to hold back her reading abilities. I tend to tweak any curriculum to be what I want so I did't fall the directions to a tee. She seemed to like the program and even though I know songs and games aren't necessary for learning we enjoyed using this part of the program.

Sheryl

Thanks for the responses.

Sheryl

Gulp. My daughter is exactly your daughter's age and tested 1.4 and I was thrilled. But it just seems SO agonizingly slow. She did know a lot of the words on the test, though. We just learned sneaky e though, and she missed most of those. She seems to have hit a wall.

Christine

Penny, I just thought of a site that has over 100,000 books rated: http://www.lexile.com.

Here's a link to their FAQ's:

http://www.lexile.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?view=ed&tabindex=6&tabid=18#18

The next to last question relates Lexile levels to grade levels.

This site helped me a lot when my dd was having vision issues and going through vision therapy. I could see concrete proof that her reading was improving.

I don't know why I didn't remember this last night.

Penny, I just thought of a site that has over 100,000 books rated: http://www.lexile.com.

Here's a link to their FAQ's:

http://www.lexile.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?view=ed&tabindex=6&tabid=18#18

The next to last question relates Lexile levels to grade levels.

This site helped me a lot when my dd was having vision issues and going through vision therapy. I could see concrete proof that her reading was improving.

I don't know why I didn't remember this last night.

Did you order the kit that they offer for free?

Hmmmmm.

I'm not digging on this test. Wanna know why? Because I can click correct for each and every word offered and it will still only claim a 5th grade reading level for the student. Something is wrong there. Maybe it's just me not understanding directions... But, I don't understand how you can get each answer correct and still not max out the test. :glare:

I think that when you get 5th grade reading level, you *are* maxing out the test. If you read all the text on the front page it says that they are still working on 6th grade level.

It is a bit deceptive because when they let you pick a grade at the beginning of the test they let you pick through high school. I think that they let you say that you are in a grade higher than 5th because some students in higher grades might still have a low reading level.

Hmmmmm.

On the home page the writers said they are working on the 6th grade level. I assume the test maxes out at 5th grade until they have the next level available.

Got it! We had the same problem.. I couldn't figure out why it placed ds at the 5th grade level when he hadn't missed any words yet!

I just skipped ahead to the next lists, but that doesn't really work right either... so I guess we'll wait until they have the test finished.

Guest mammato4boys

:blush: LOL! Guess I should have read a little better on the home page. (Although it is nice to know I wasn't he only one confused.)

Kuovonne, you are right. It was the student level that made me think the test went into the high school years.

First is a book called Teaching Phonics and Word Study in the Intermediate Grades by Wiley Blevins (Scholastics) He put several simple assessments in the Appendix that are useful. I saw the book at B&N then got it through interlibrary loan.

Second, every week, we read a few books suggested at this site http://home.comcast.net/~ngiansante/ when we have reading practice. The teacher leveled common books found in most school and public libraries. I track the books and their levels with a simple graph. I get books from 3-4 levels to read. Then, we just read and I check the number of words he miscues (i.e. he needs mom's help to read the word).

If he can read a book with only few miscues, that is at his independent reading level; if you average 1-2 on a page, that is his instructional level - the level we read together at daily to improve his reading. This is the level we read at together to improved his fluency. If he is averaging 3+ miscues a page then this is getting close to his frustration level. If we read a book at that level, usually we take turns reading and only if he really wants to read the book.

I know this sounds confusing, so using my son as an example--

I know he can read books at the J and K levels with very few miscues so his independent reading level is 2.00-2.25 (beginning of second grade to second grade, end of first quarter). We read L level books with about 1 miscue a page and M level books at 2-3 miscues a page. So I know that his instructional level of reading (where we need to practice) is between 2.5 (middle of second grade) and 2.75 (end of third quarter). Books above M (N & O), are too hard because he need help several times per page. When he can read M level books with few miscues I know he is ready for level N or O books.

I know this is a fairly accurate method, because when I tested method using the tests from Mr. Blevin's book, he tested about the middle of second grade for a reading level. So, I am not really worrying about reading level tests anymore. I just see what he is level books he is reading.

Jill

I found this site interesting... then started checking the level of some books. I started with what my ds has been reading for fun lately: they have the first three Harry Potter books at 880 (I guess I buy that). Then checked "The Hobbit"--1000. I agree, it uses more complex language than the Potter series. Then checked "Fellowship of the Ring"--860. Really? An easier read than "The Sorcerer's Stone"? The book written by Tolkein for grownups, with very sophisticated vocabulary IMHO, has a lower lexile level than its own prequel written for kids? Having read both recently, I think this is way off!

I guess I'm just questioning how accurate these measures really are.

I found this site interesting... then started checking the level of some books. I started with what my ds has been reading for fun lately: they have the first three Harry Potter books at 880 (I guess I buy that). Then checked "The Hobbit"--1000. I agree, it uses more complex language than the Potter series. Then checked "Fellowship of the Ring"--860. Really? An easier read than "The Sorcerer's Stone"? The book written by Tolkein for grownups, with very sophisticated vocabulary IMHO, has a lower lexile level than its own prequel written for kids? Having read both recently, I think this is way off!

I guess I'm just questioning how accurate these measures really are.

Your comment piqued my interest, so I did a little checking.

I calculated the reading level of the first 4 paragraphs of "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Hobbit" using the Flesch-Kincaid tool on Microsoft Word.

"Fellowship" tested as Grade Level 5.9, while "Hobbit" tested as Grade Level 11.2.

That piqued my interest even more :D, so I tested "The Sorcerer's Stone." It tested as Grade Level 5.1.

So, "Fellowship" and "Sorcerer's Stone" were very close, while "Hobbit" rated higher. That's exactly how Lexile rates them.

According to Microsoft Word, the Readability Statistics facility includes the following in its analysis:

Counts: the number of words, characters, paragraphs, and sentences in the document.

Averages: average sentences per paragraph, words per sentence, and characters per word.

Readability statistics: percentage of passive sentences in the document, Flesch Reading Ease score, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level.

I typed in four paragraphs at random from Fellowship. Basically, I set the book on edge, and let gravity pull it open. Turned out to be the first four paragraphs on page 238 of my edition. Word came up with a lexile level of 7.5

I guess that's my point... do they take the "average" of the whole book? Or they only key in certain parts (previews off of Amazon)? Even the selection I copied is much more challenging (IMHO) than the HP books. I'm not dissing either, I'm a huge fan of both, but I just can't agree with thier relative ranking. I guess I really don't believe that an arbitrary word count program can really measure how challenging a book is. Or, for that matter, how good writing is--how I hate those grammar/style suggestions in Word!

The passage I entered was:

In the North after the war and the slaughter of the Gladden Fields the Men of Weterness were diminished, and their city of Annuminas beside Lake Evendim fell into ruin; and the heirs of Valandil removed and dwelt at Fornost on the high North Downs, and that now too is desolate. Men call it Deadmen’s Dike, and they fear to tread there. For the folk of Arnor dwindled, and their foes devoured them, and their lordship passed, leaving only green mounds in the grassy hills.

In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew, recalling somewhat of the might of Numenor, ere it fell. High towers that people built, and strong places, and havens of many ships; and the winged crown of the kings of Men was held in awe by folk of many tongures. Their chief city was Osgiliath, Citadel of the Stars, through the midst of which the River flowed. And Minas Ithil they build, Tower of the Rising Moon, eastward upon a shoulder of the Mountains of the Shadow; and westward at the feet of the White Mountains Minas Anor they made, Tower of the Setting Sun. There in the courts of the King grew a white tree, from the seed of that tree which Isildur brought over the deep waters, and the seed of that tree before came from Eressea, and before that out of the Uttermost West in the Day before days when the world was young.

But in the wearing of the swift years of Middle-earth the line of Meneldil son of Anarion failed, and the Tree withered, and the blood of the Numenorians became mingled with that of lesser men. Then the watch upon the wals of Mordor slept, and dark things crept back to Gorgoroth. And on a time evil things came forth, and they took Minas Ithil and abode in it, and they made it into a place of dread; and it is called Minas Morgul, the Tower of Sorcery. Then Minas Anor was named anew Minas Tirith, the Tower of Guard; and these two cities were ever at war, but Osgiliath which lay between was deserted and in its ruins shadows walked.

So it has been for many lives of men. But the Lords of Minas Tirith still fight on, defying our enemies, keeping the passage of the River from Argonath to the Sea. And now that part of the tale that I shall tell is drawn to its close. For in the days of Isildur the Ruling Ring passed out of all knowledge, and the Three were released from its dominion. But now in this latter day they are in peril once more, for to our sorrow the One has been found. Others shall speak of its finding, for in that I played small part.

I typed in four paragraphs at random from Fellowship. Basically, I set the book on edge, and let gravity pull it open. Turned out to be the first four paragraphs on page 238 of my edition. Word came up with a lexile level of 7.5

Using Word, you would have gotten a Flesch-Kincaid level, not a Lexile level. They are two completely different systems of evaluation. (You probably already realize that and just mistyped.)

I guess that's my point... do they take the "average" of the whole book? Or they only key in certain parts (previews off of Amazon)? Even the selection I copied is much more challenging (IMHO) than the HP books. I'm not dissing either, I'm a huge fan of both, but I just can't agree with thier relative ranking. I guess I really don't believe that an arbitrary word count program can really measure how challenging a book is. Or, for that matter, how good writing is--how I hate those grammar/style suggestions in Word!

[/color]

Word calculates their level based on whatever text the layperson types into the Word document, whether that be one sentence or three pages.

You can see how Lexile calculates theirs here (on the 6th question):

http://www.lexile.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?view=ed&tabindex=6&tabid=18#5

I did the quick analysis in my previous post because you questioned the Lexile system, and I wanted to see just how it compared to another system. (I'm an INTJ, to reference another post on yesterday's boards, and I want to know these things. :D) So, for me, it was nice to see that the two different systems ranked the 3 books similarly in comparison to one another.

I have a dd who has had reading difficulties in the past due to vision problems (which have now been corrected). The Lexile system was very helpful to me as it allowed me to see that she was making progress in her reading abilities.