Menu

Does anyone pay the $35/year for starfall? Is it worth the money?

I looked at the website, and I don't think it's worth it, though that's just my opinion. I think my dd would get bored with it in about ten minutes. And really, if I want some kind of goofy animation teaching my dd math and pre-reading skills, I can just turn on an episode of Superwhy, and that's free.

Also, the animations seem to be really poorly done. They make my brain hurt.

My kids LOVED Starfall. Wait. You have to pay for it now??? :confused:

Wow, that stinks. We never had to pay anything. I wonder if it has more content now? My kids LOVED Starfall. We even bought the readers and workbooks. I'd be tempted but I'd want to examine the site first.

Starfall classic is still free; they've just added a lot of new activities (k-2) in the *More*Starfall section that is $35/year. We paid it, and for us it has been TOTALLY WORTH IT. My ds loves it and has learned a lot. It comes in handy when I have to focus on lessons with dd.

Starfall classic is still free; they've just added a lot of new activities (k-2) in the *More*Starfall section that is $35/year. We paid it, and for us it has been TOTALLY WORTH IT. My ds loves it and has learned a lot. It comes in handy when I have to focus on lessons with dd.

Thanks for the reply. It does look great! I think I might do it. My dd loves to be able to use the computer all by herself and they make it so easy.

The $35 is just for extra material in the More Starfall section. We paid it and it was worth it for us. My thought process: $3/month is cheap babysitting if it keeps DS occupied a few extra minutes when I need them. He was already getting bored with regular Starfall. I like that it includes numbers/math and he particularly loves the word building machine. I also really love some of the printables like phonics wheels, etc. Great stuff. Not a for sure must-have or anything but a decent price for something that DS can do on his own.

My 3 & 1 year olds LOVE More Starfall!!! Caleb was literally begging us for it at Christmas so we got it for him. He loves the math games, and the children's songs are a BIG hit at our house. We leave them on continuous play in the background most days. They both love to dance and play! :)

I just discovered the paid Starfall K-2 part today and I plan to get it for my 3.5 yo. He's learned a lot using the free site (and watching SuperWhy and WordWorld on PBS) by himself. He's excited to start the new Starfall. I think it's worth it depending on how well it matches your child's skill level and how much you need them to do something independently. I'm HS'ing my 6 yo and also have a 1 yo so it's a good fit right now.

:iagree: For my 4 and 6 yo it is great, they love it and it keeps the 4yob quietly entertained during lessons. That's priceless.:lol:

When they first introduced the extras, I tried it out right away! We had used the free portion for years and loved it, so I wanted to give their new extras a chance and it was a big hit. They have added and continue to add new content all the time. Both of my kids like to use the more.starfall.com section!

They also have a Teacher's Lounge where there are worksheet makers: Math Generators (3 types), Letter Formation Generators (6 types), and Blending Practice Generators (5 types), and High-Frequency Word Generators (4 types); their 31 week kindergarten curriculum in free through this extras area (you have to print it), and a few other resources word cards, number cards, etc... I've used some of the worksheet makers before, but there was only 4 when I first signed up. So they do keep adding things.

I think its worth it and we've been subscribed for 2 years now!