Menu

Burned out?

newhsmommy

I'm wondering if I am burned out or is it time to consider school for my 9 year old next fall?

We moved to another state in Nov. and it has been slow to connect with people here. After Christmas break we decided to put my 7th grade son into school and he loves it (he was not a fan of HS to begin with)and now my daughter is making comments about going to school.

I think the overall issue is that we never really got into the swing of getting into our HS year. First it was getting ready to make the move, moving and now trying to adjust to another life. Many days I seem to be throwing work together for her to do. Since moving, I even bought a bunch of the Spectrum workbooks to make sure she is "on level" if we give her the IOWA and enroll her in school next year.

I see pros/cons with either decision. Should I bag the workbooks, get my act together and put together our unit studies again? Stick to the workbooks and work towards public school? I guess the 3rd choice would be a 3 day a week enrichment type of school and then 2 days home (not sure what they are called?) My husband said it is not fair for him to make the decision since I am the primary one HS and taking care of the household when he is away traveling for work.

Thanks for any ideas!! :grouphug:

Edited by newhsmommy

Have you tried 6 weeks on, 1 week off? Until this year, I ALWAYS started to burn out around this time. I was cranky, didn't care, blah, blah, blah - nothing I am proud of. A friend of mind on this board suggested the 6-1 schedule, and like you, we just did a major move this past year and moved to town in August. This has been our best school year yet. We never get sick of school. We have time to do field trips, catch up planning and replanning, take care of house projects, etc. It has been the BEST for us. Now, it may or may not work as well for you with one child in PS but it is an idea for those few oddball weeks where schedules clash.

You have had a BIG and rough year (BTDT). I agree with PP, "Why do you homeschool?" If you have good reasons to continue, then take a week or two, regroup and go from there. If not, then maybe PS... well, ultimately you and your dh will have to decide.

A shifted calendar helped us a TON.

I think I would take a week or two off school and spend that time PLANNING. Get everything prepared for the next 6 weeks (be it unit studies or a full curriculum - doesn't matter - just plan stuff so you know what you're doing). Then when you go to do school each day, you already have a plan in place. You don't have to throw stuff together!

Like the PP, I'm doing 6 weeks on, 1 week off. During that week off, I print out everything that needs to be printed, set up a basic schedule of what needs to be done when, and this time I made 6 weeks of files (though I don't necessarily recommend that for something like math, where you have to redo it if you decide to do things ahead or behind your original schedule). Each week, I just stick stuff in my 5-day folders with a daily task list, and we go through and check off the boxes as we do them. It's very easy, and we both love checkboxes. :D

There are still some days (like today) that we don't do everything planned, but then we can easily make it up on another day. I at least know exactly what I want to get done that week. If things move to different days, that's ok.

Some people do ok flying by the seat of their pants. I don't. I would burn out VERY quickly trying to do that. It's why I could never get Letter of the Week done for PreK. :lol: Having everything planned and ready, where you just open and go, makes it sooooo much easier. And we're only using 1 workbook curriculum (math).

I hit that in October. This is my first year. Some of the things I had picked were just not working. Nothing was as organized as it had been 8 weeks previous and I just wanted to quit.

so

I took one week totally off from school. No thinking about it for me or ds. Then the second week we had a free reading and educational DVD week for dear son and planning for me. It worked really well. Now, as soon as I get overwhelmed I take a few days totally off, and then a few planning days (DVD/reading days) and it seems to go better.

The planning is good to do, but it sounds like you just need a week off. Remember, we don't have to be done by some random day in June. Take time, regroup and do a little school lite in the summer.

Should I bag the workbooks, get my act together and put together our unit studies again?

Yes. :D

Stick to the workbooks and work towards public school?

No.

I guess the 3rd choice would be a 3 day a week enrichment type of school and then 2 days home (not sure what they are called?)

No.

My husband said it is not fair for him to make the decision since I am the primary one HS and taking care of the household when he is away traveling for work.

:thumbup1: Smart man.

WEll I can tell you that I moved late August, only 2 miles from where we lived before but selling a house, having a new house built, closing on both, living in a hotel..... took it's toll. I've felt burnt out all school year. Honestly. You've moved to a new place! You have to cut yourself some slack. i would do the 3Rs and make everything else interest driven for awhile.

But honestly, you need to answer the question why do you homeschool? IF you have one son in school, and you feel the school would offer them the kind of education and life experience you want for them, then maybe that is your answer. But only you can answer that question.

When you are going through life-changes it's just best not to stress about output. We moved twice last year, pregnant/new baby, I struggle with mood disorders (full blown PPD for oldest DDs grade 1), and we live off-grid with no running water, our house is in a perpetual state of building/reorganizing/upgrading as we finish it. NOT that I'm trying to one-up you here! :)

I just wanted to say that hard times can be persevered through if you are dedicated to homeschooling. Things don't have to be 'perfect' in your homeschool or else you put the kids back in school, KWIM? Honestly, just having a responsive adult around to chat with yields better educational results in the early years than any public school can. So...even if your ducks aren't all in a row - no need to fret! You can do it!!!

Moving while homeschooling is a flipping exhausting nightmare. Really. It has taken us the better part of a year to get *fully* back on track, living in the house like it's our own and such.

I'm with the PP who asked you, "Why are you homeschooling?" How you answer that is how you answer yourself in this case.

I think you sound tired out, not burned out. Before you sit down with a pencil and start the deep thinking about "Why I home school" I'd suggest a large cup of hot chocolate, hot tea or other relaxing beverage and rest!

Then start your list. Realize that the reason why you chose to home school is probably going to be a lot like a list of why one would train for and run a marathon. There are a lot of ways to run--why the marathon? I could list four or five reasons right off the cuff as to why I home-school and they would all be good. But the real reason is much deeper than the surface, just as someone who earnestly trains to run a long race has to have deeper reasons that just "losing weight" or "getting fit." Those are starter reasons. Dig deeper.

Another thing--I think that just because the children "love it," or "just want to do what normal people do" does not mean it is the best thing for them. It may be--but it also may not be. Do not let pressure from immature minds be basis for your decision. Input yes, decision makers, no.

And the husband can't waffle his way out of this one either.:001_smile:

We moved in August and I had spent the summer working full-time outside of our home. I can't believe how hard it has been to get into the swing of things this year. I agree with others who have said to take some time off to plan. I just didn't have time for that this summer and we've been floundering all year. Give yourself a break and don't make a decision too quickly during transition times.

I had a long talk with myself and decided....to put my "big girl" pants on and do what has always been the right thing HOMESCHOOL! Now what to plan???

Thanks for all the suggestions...still taking advice :grouphug:

You mentioned a bit back getting her into activities. My 9yo does American Heritage Girls (like a Christian Girl Scouts). It's the perfect amount of activities. They do art, they have projects, they camp, they have goals of things to learn that we can work on with our school like the cooking badge, etc. It's the PERFECT addition to homeschooling for us - time with other girls, art, music, learning, activities, fun, etc. all in one fun package.

You mentioned a bit back getting her into activities. My 9yo does American Heritage Girls (like a Christian Girl Scouts). It's the perfect amount of activities. They do art, they have projects, they camp, they have goals of things to learn that we can work on with our school like the cooking badge, etc. It's the PERFECT addition to homeschooling for us - time with other girls, art, music, learning, activities, fun, etc. all in one fun package.

This sounds good, but it will depend a good deal on your daughter's personality. At her age, I would have regarded the above as torture.:001_smile:

I think it is good to have social opportunities for her, but it would also be good to show her what home offers that public education does not--and one of those wonderful things is just time to sit, think and be--time for alone work, drawing, writing, riding a horse, playing music for the sheer love of it.

I also feel that it is so easy to be surrounded by "friends" and yet be alone. As a child I moved around a lot, and it was important for me to find one or two true kindred spirits to commune with. Finding true friends may be more important that anything for her right now.