Menu

EXPLORE scores

For anyone else waiting--we got dd's EXPLORE scores today (she took through Duke TIP)!

Oh wow - wasn't expecting them for weeks really. Totally not even on my radar yet. Hope they were informative for you! Thanks for the news! :D

Yep, we got them today too!

My son scored the lowest in punctuation, again! He has always done R&S and he is one grade ahead in it. So he is 1/2 way through the 6th grade book, in 5th grade. He almost always gets a perfect score, so I am not sure how he scores so low. :confused:

Does anyone know if the chart on the back is personalized?

Edited by Quad Shot Academy

My son scored the lowest in punctuation, again! He has always done R&S and he is one grade ahead in it. So he is 1/2 way through the 6th grade book, in 5th grade. He almost always gets a perfect score, so I am not sure how he scores so low. :confused:

Now, see, I was trying to figure out how dd got such *high* scores in punctuation, when we haven't really covered it much at all this year. There must be something strange with the test, lol.

My DD's scores arrived today. The results wound up raising more questions than they answered, however. :banghead:

:D Feeling similarly! My kid scored lowest in the 2 areas I expected to be the highest. Did not quite reflect other scores we have. Debating doing further testing in the spring now. He still scored extremely high for a 4th grader, so I probably shouldn't even be thinking about it.

Computerized tests like this never reflected my achievement until I was into college, so I have some personal biases against the format!

My DD's scores arrived today. The results wound up raising more questions than they answered, however. :banghead:

That's frustrating. We haven't done Explore, but this was definitely our experience with private testing. "Complicated," according to the psych. :tongue_smilie: I had to keep reminding myself that she was the same girl she had been the day before.

we received ours today too. My son maxed out on the math and English portions so does that mean he needs to take a different test next year?

He took it through NUMATS, maybe their explanation will tell us that when we receive it?

Edited by RanchGirl
clarification

we received ours today too. My son maxed out on the math and grammar portions so does that mean he needs to take a different test next year?

He took it through NUMATS, maybe their explanation will tell us that when we receive it?

The Explore and the ACT are very similar in format and should generally score very similarly other than fatigue issues. When DS started maxing out the Explore we switched to the ACT.

What percentile is considered maxing out? Thanks :)

Technically a 25 is the highest score you can get... but those last couple points are literally one or two questions. And if you happen to have a kid who (a) doesn't really care about getting the last couple points and (b) always has one stupid mistake somewhere no matter how well he knows it.... I'd say anywhere in the 20s can really move up. DS had hit 25 in one section and in the 20s for the rest. We weren't in it for awards or anything, so that's when we moved him up.

There are definite fatigue issues - the ACT is a much longer test, and DS's scores slipped a bit the first time he took it (a point or two composite - not a lot - but more in the later subtests than the earlier), but it gave us the "headroom" that had been our original reason for doing the Explore!

Technically a 25 is the highest score you can get... but those last couple points are literally one or two questions. And if you happen to have a kid who (a) doesn't really care about getting the last couple points and (b) always has one stupid mistake somewhere no matter how well he knows it.... I'd say anywhere in the 20s can really move up.

Thank you; that makes sense!

Technically a 25 is the highest score you can get... but those last couple points are literally one or two questions. And if you happen to have a kid who (a) doesn't really care about getting the last couple points and (b) always has one stupid mistake somewhere no matter how well he knows it.... I'd say anywhere in the 20s can really move up. DS had hit 25 in one section and in the 20s for the rest. We weren't in it for awards or anything, so that's when we moved him up.

I think that is good advice, I wonder if I should have moved my son up last year and we would have better information this year rather than the 100%... although honestly I don't find these tests terribly useful; I'm not sure I would have him do them if the state didn't require a test anyway.

Can I butt into the conversation here and ask why your kids take these tests? Both my kids qualified for the Duke TIP program -- one participated and one did not. As a parent, I didn't understand the value of the testing. I read the Duke brochure, but I still didn't see the value in it. Is the testing geared more to public school students? As a homeschooler, I know where my sons' strengths and weaknesses are, so we just move along faster in the areas they excel. But I've always wondered why parents would pursue the testing. Am I missing something?

I have a question too? My dd10 took the Explore test this year but I don't really know too much about it. I know it is an 8th grade test by the same people who put out the ACT test. I was just wondering who takes this test - how many 8th Gr take it? Is it taken by most 8th Gr in public school?

Her scores were shown as a percentile for 8th Graders in the nation but just wondered who are the 8th graders taking it.

As a homeschooler, I know where my sons' strengths and weaknesses are, so we just move along faster in the areas they excel. But I've always wondered why parents would pursue the testing. Am I missing something?

I always hear homeschoolers say that, but I guess I am just dense, because I have always been surprised by my kids scores! :lol: For the high and the low points! :tongue_smilie:

We are required by law to test. I could just give the CAT to meet the requirement, and he would score at 99% or I could pay the same amount of money and have him take a test that will give me a real picture of his abilities.

Not to mention, it gives validity to mommy grades, if he wants to apply for anything. My son has also never encountered not knowing the answers. It was difficult for him to accept that he would not know all the answers on this test! He had a great time taking it, met kids that are just like him, and is already talking about taking it next year!

I always hear homeschoolers say that, but I guess I am just dense, because I have always been surprised by my kids scores! :lol: For the high and the low points! :tongue_smilie:

I don't know if it's just that I'm dense (LOL) or that I'm too critical... but I'm frequently surprised by DS's scores. Not just where they are, but their relationship to each other. I tend to think of him as a math/science kid, but really his reading/English scores are rather good too. In fact in the ACT his English (grammar) score exceeded his math score one year! That was definitely a surprise.

We're also required to test annually, and I'd rather see those bits of above-level scatter than pay to know that he can ace the CAT. But if we didn't have to test, I'd still do it. (probably not every year...) It's easy for me to say that my kid is working ahead of grade level, but having test scores from independently-proctored exams has definitely opened doors.

Oh, I never considered the annual testing requirement. (In FL, homeschoolers don't HAVE to test. It's just one of several evaluation options. Usually, we just do a portfolio review w/ a certified teacher for our evaluation.) But testing might be worth considering for next year. Thanks for the insights. :)

We are required by law to test. I could just give the CAT to meet the requirement, and he would score at 99% or I could pay the same amount of money and have him take a test that will give me a real picture of his abilities.

That's our reason as well. I don't think I would do it if my state didn't require it because it isn't particularly useful to me. I already know the child is skilled in math and English. If they would pinpoint for me which parts of math or English he could improve on, that would be useful... but no test service (that I have found) breaks it down like that.

The Explore is too long for my very active younger son to sit still so we'll probably do Peabody for him this year. That will be a big waste of $50 but at least it won't take him 3 hours on a Saturday morning.

Can I butt into the conversation here and ask why your kids take these tests? Both my kids qualified for the Duke TIP program -- one participated and one did not. As a parent, I didn't understand the value of the testing. I read the Duke brochure, but I still didn't see the value in it. Is the testing geared more to public school students? As a homeschooler, I know where my sons' strengths and weaknesses are, so we just move along faster in the areas they excel. But I've always wondered why parents would pursue the testing. Am I missing something?

Talent search tests offer a much higher ceiling than regular standardized tests like the Iowa (though with a PG child, it still might not be high enough :banghead:). It is also a much cheaper way to qualify for DYS than taking an individual achievement test like the WIAT or W-J (~$80 vs. ~$500).

I was just wondering who takes this test - how many 8th Gr take it? Is it taken by most 8th Gr in public school?

Her scores were shown as a percentile for 8th Graders in the nation but just wondered who are the 8th graders taking it.

I have always wondered this too. I know my cousin who goes to a private Christian school took it. I just googled "who takes the Explore test" and a few public school websites came up. One website I looked at said they use it to place their upcoming 9th graders into the correct classes.

Does anyone have a better sense of how to interpret these scores than I do? Honestly I expected more of a breakdown...similar to the Iowas at least.

Specifically, this is an achievement test, but if a 4th grader takes it is it really an achievement test? After all, they contend that these children can answer questions correctly without ever having seen the material. This would seem to indicate ability rather than achievement. Then again, since we are homeschoolers and doing what we please with curriculum, again I would think our scores would be more reflective of achievement (potentially) than a ps student's scores if they just sat through ordinary classes every day. I'm thinking it is really more of a "blend" of achievement and ability. (Not that any test can every be purely either one I suppose).

Also, in our region at least, 4th graders clearly performed worst in math relative to the 8th graders. Is this because math is the most content driven of the tests? or because math relies on developmental ability more than the other tests? or something else?

Finally, was the list on the back of areas the child could work on actually personalized based on errors? or just spit out based on percentile? (which is useless)

I guess I feel like I didn't really learn a whole lot about my son besides "we're doing well...keep putting one foot in front of the other" :) I would like a better understanding of things. Maybe someone who has done this a few times or spoken to a testing agency knows more than I do.

Brownie

Does anyone have a better sense of how to interpret these scores than I do? Honestly I expected more of a breakdown...similar to the Iowas at least.

Specifically, this is an achievement test, but if a 4th grader takes it is it really an achievement test? After all, they contend that these children can answer questions correctly without ever having seen the material. This would seem to indicate ability rather than achievement. Then again, since we are homeschoolers and doing what we please with curriculum, again I would think our scores would be more reflective of achievement (potentially) than a ps student's scores if they just sat through ordinary classes every day. I'm thinking it is really more of a "blend" of achievement and ability. (Not that any test can every be purely either one I suppose).

Also, in our region at least, 4th graders clearly performed worst in math relative to the 8th graders. Is this because math is the most content driven of the tests? or because math relies on developmental ability more than the other tests? or something else?

Finally, was the list on the back of areas the child could work on actually personalized based on errors? or just spit out based on percentile? (which is useless)

I guess I feel like I didn't really learn a whole lot about my son besides "we're doing well...keep putting one foot in front of the other" :) I would like a better understanding of things. Maybe someone who has done this a few times or spoken to a testing agency knows more than I do.

Brownie

We tested through NUMATS so they have the profile recommendations online based on their scores to help set up an educational plan. I'm not sure what some of the other talent searches offer for evaluating the scores. :)