Menu

Getting sleepy when reading...

When I was severely anemic but had not yet been diagnosed, this happened to me. Every single time I sat down to read-aloud I would end up absolutely falling apart from sleepiness. I used to get through the daily read-alouds by putting a pot of water on the stove just before I sat down to read. When the tea kettle whistled, standing up and walking over to take it off the flame and pour a cup of tea would help wake me. I would then set the timer for the tea to steep (5-8 minutes based on the type of tea--yes, I like it strong). The timer was another welcome wake-up. I would get through the rest of the reading time by sipping the tea.

If you are getting enough sleep at night but still really tired for this, you might consider getting some blood tests. Check for anemia (BOTH hemoglobin AND ferritin), as well as vitamin D and thyroid function.

Oh, constantly. I chalk it up to being a busy mom and when I get a minute and slow down I just.... really slow down!:D Basically, what I do is get ready for bed at night, then sit down and start reading and when I fall asleep, it's ok. I gave up reading during the daytime.

I have learned to read after my afternoon nap to get any amount of reading done- an hour then is good. Trying to read before bed is pretty useless.

I also wear glasses nowadays and find that a pair that are slightly more than I need (larger magnification) helps me with reading at night time. Any strain whatsoever makes me sleepy.

The obvious answer though is that you are actually tired. Possibly deeply exhausted. And reading just relaxes you enough for it to surface.

I only fall asleep when it is at night and I am laying in bed trying to read. At times I can not even get through one page, it's sad! I know mine is from being exhausted up all night with the baby and it is my first chance to really relax and my body just shuts down fast. I am always disappointed to not push through because it is my only time of total uninterrupted peaceful reading.

Guest momk2000

I fall asleep every time I try to read a book. It's so frustrating. It doesn't help that the only time I can concentrate on reading a book is at night after the kiddos are in bed. :tongue_smilie: