Menu

Dr. Hive: DD31 (pg) has a blood clot (maybe)............

showing up on her u/s - blood clot (OR possibly she started with twins and one didn't develop) located in her uterus.

Her perinatologist will see her again this week (Stacey is seen every week) and take more measurements and assess. If a blood clot, Stacey may have to take Heparin (or whatever they use now -- I took heparin shots with my pregnancy with dd11).

Anyone have experience with something like this? The perinatologist is thinking that If this is a blood clot, it may explain the IUFD Stacey suffered at 25 weeks in November.

TIA

My clots during pregnancy were in my groin area, but I can definitely relate. They will likely give her Lovenox injections for her to use twice a day. They're crazy expensive, so her insurance will probably have to get a prior authorization and hospitals generally rush that through when they can.

Praying Mariann! No experience here. I did have a sister in law who took something to supress her immune system during her last pregnancy, it was also a blood thinner. She was monitored closely and came through okay. That baby is now a 7th grader.

Faith

My clots during pregnancy were in my groin area, but I can definitely relate. They will likely give her Lovenox injections for her to use twice a day. They're crazy expensive, so her insurance will probably have to get a prior authorization and hospitals generally rush that through when they can.

My sister has a 5 year old and a 13 year old. Both pregnancies required daily shots early on and then a baby aspirin a day.

:grouphug:Hugs and prayers:grouphug:

No experience with this, but will keep your dd in my prayers.:grouphug:

Thank you all! Prayers definitely appreciated - and info too. I took Heparin twice a day when I was pg with dd11 for immune issues so it would not surprise me if Stacey had to do the same.

Thanks again.:001_smile:

*hugs*

I have a close friend who had repeated blood clots in her legs during pregnancy. They put her on blood thinners until a week before delivery. She had clots redevelop a few months after delivery after she stopped the thinners and actually had a small stroke. They have since put a filter in some blood vessels to prevent another stroke from happening. She's now almost 8 months pp and still on thinners.

*hugs*

I have a close friend who had repeated blood clots in her legs during pregnancy. They put her on blood thinners until a week before delivery. She had clots redevelop a few months after delivery after she stopped the thinners and actually had a small stroke. They have since put a filter in some blood vessels to prevent another stroke from happening. She's now almost 8 months pp and still on thinners.

Kind of similar to my situation, except that they never let me stop taking thinners. They kept me in the hospital after both deliveries until they got the next blood thinner in my system in adequate amounts.

I never stopped the thinners either in the four pregnancies I was on them, until I was sure I was in labor. I did switch from lovenox to heparin around 36 weeks in my pregnancies that went that far (not that it helped much - one of mine was born less than 6 hours after my heparin shot, so in that case, no epidural, but at least it was a fast labor :D). I delivered twins while on lovenox, but due to my own stupidity, I had run out of my prescription over a weekend and I was able to get the epidural (no small thing in that case, since the second one was turned by the docs while in utero). I never stopped the aspirin for any of my deliveries, until the birth (wouldn't want to take aspirin while nursing). I usually had a few days of lovenox after delivery, followed by 6 weeks on coumadin.

FWIW, I much, much prefer lovenox to unfractionated heparin. Just inject as slowly as possible. Also, there is the theory that because the molecules of lovenox are smaller, lovenox can get further into the placental blood vessels than heparin, which can help microclots from forming in the placenta.

it may explain the IUFD Stacey suffered at 25 weeks in November.

:grouphug: this is probably right. Considering your history, it sounds like there may be a genetic thrombophilia (something like FVL or MFTHR, etc.)

Praying that all goes well for your dd!

Edited by wapiti

I never stopped the thinners either in the four pregnancies I was on them, until I was sure I was in labor. I did switch from lovenox to heparin around 36 weeks in my pregnancies that went that far (not that it helped much - one of mine was born less than 6 hours after my heparin shot, so in that case, no epidural, but at least it was a fast labor :D). I delivered twins while on lovenox, but due to my own stupidity, I had run out of my prescription over a weekend and I was able to get the epidural (no small thing in that case, since the second one was turned by the docs while in utero). I never stopped the aspirin for any of my deliveries, until the birth (wouldn't want to take aspirin while nursing). I usually had a few days of lovenox after delivery, followed by 6 weeks on coumadin.

FWIW, I much, much prefer lovenox to unfractionated heparin. Just inject as slowly as possible. Also, there is the theory that because the molecules of lovenox are smaller, lovenox can get further into the placental blood vessels than heparin, which can help microclots from forming in the placenta.

:grouphug: this is probably right. Considering your history, it sounds like there may be a genetic thrombophilia (something like FVL or MFTHR, etc.)

Praying that all goes well for your dd!

Excellent info -- very helpful -- thank you for sharing!:grouphug: