Menu

My reluctant writer, WWE4, enough?, and what next?

Nakia

How's that for a title? LOL! Okay, my current 5th grader, my reluctant writer, is getting in the groove with WWE 4. The narrations are coming along quite nicely, and we have good days and bad days with the dictations. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with her progress. We are almost halfway done with it. I think it is moving along at a nice pace for her. Up until now, I have not required her to do any narrations or dictations from her history or science, etc because I didn't want to overwhelm or frustrate her. Should I start now? Honestly we are having a rough time in school right now in general (I think that's going around, huh?), and I hesitate to add anything else in at this point. I don't want the struggle when she is finally getting writing and not pitching a fit with every assignment. What are your thoughts? IOW, is WWE enough writing or is the idea to have that cross into other subjects?

My next question is does anyone know when WWS 1 be released? I was planning to start that this fall when we get done with WWE 4, but then I read on another thread that it won't be released until spring of 2012. That makes me nervous because I tried to do my own writing lessons plans, even using the WWE Instructor Guide and podcasts, and failed miserably. If WWS isn't released this fall, what will I do? We use R&S for grammar, and since we started WWE, I have skipped all the writing assignments in R&S. I guess I could go back to those and teach her outlining. But what do they outline? And do they continue with narrations when they start outlining? :confused::confused::confused: I just don't know. Does anyone have other suggestions for a writing curriculum that follows WWE nicely using the same sequence and theories as SWB suggests? I know, I just really need WWS!! :D

I'm sorry for such a goofy and dramatic post, but well...that's how I am, I guess. I was freaking about science, but we've got that down (BJU 6), so now it's writing. And I think I posted something like this a few months back, but I can't find it.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

:bigear:

I hope that you get lots of helpful responses!

My son is in 4th grade this year (using WWE 3) and I posted a question about what to do in 5th, but only got one reply. It sounds like you have been happy with WWE4 for 5th grade. I too struggle with how much extra writing I should be requiring in science and history. So far, we have just done very small amounts. It has been a big enough struggle to get to where we are.

I look forward to reading the posts. :001_smile:

Angela

How's that for a title? LOL! Okay, my current 5th grader, my reluctant writer, is getting in the groove with WWE 4. The narrations are coming along quite nicely, and we have good days and bad days with the dictations. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with her progress. We are almost halfway done with it. I think it is moving along at a nice pace for her. Up until now, I have not required her to do any narrations or dictations from her history or science, etc because I didn't want to overwhelm or frustrate her. Should I start now? Honestly we are having a rough time in school right now in general (I think that's going around, huh?), and I hesitate to add anything else in at this point. I don't want the struggle when she is finally getting writing and not pitching a fit with every assignment. What are your thoughts? IOW, is WWE enough writing or is the idea to have that cross into other subjects?

My next question is does anyone know when WWS 1 be released? I was planning to start that this fall when we get done with WWE 4, but then I read on another thread that it won't be released until spring of 2012. That makes me nervous because I tried to do my own writing lessons plans, even using the WWE Instructor Guide and podcasts, and failed miserably. If WWS isn't released this fall, what will I do? We use R&S for grammar, and since we started WWE, I have skipped all the writing assignments in R&S. I guess I could go back to those and teach her outlining. But what do they outline? And do they continue with narrations when they start outlining? :confused::confused::confused: I just don't know. Does anyone have other suggestions for a writing curriculum that follows WWE nicely using the same sequence and theories as SWB suggests? I know, I just really need WWS!! :D

I'm sorry for such a goofy and dramatic post, but well...that's how I am, I guess. I was freaking about science, but we've got that down (BJU 6), so now it's writing. And I think I posted something like this a few months back, but I can't find it.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

:bigear: We're right there with you...

I don't have experience with this but I am also interested in the replies so I thought I would at least bump your thread.

I was pretty sure (and hoping) that WWS would be released this October. I haven't heard differently unless I missed the thread about it. I do try to read every WWS thread!

I also think that some of your questions could be answered by SWB's middle grades writing lectures. That might help you. I'm pretty sure she includes a good explanation of how to go about outlining and everything else; what to do when. Hope this helps a little!

The last thread I read on WWS is that it will be released in Oct, possibly earlier if you order from Peace Hill Press.

I am about where you are. DD is 5th grade age and I only do narrations when we are doing writing, because I don't want to make everything we do about narrations.

I too am very anxiously waiting for WWS to be available. I want to see the samples. I know that I am going to order it and use it, but I want to see some lessons just to confirm that I do indeed have writing taken care of for next year.

I worry about writing. I once overheard a public school teacher comment that homeschooled children do not have any writing skills. While I try and tune out all negativity said about homeschooling by those in favor of outschooling, I have never been able to shake that one.

I think I am going to cry if no one helps me figure this out. I've been reading IEW threads and threads about other writing programs. My head is spinning!!

I think I'm going to go with IEW. I listened to the reluctant writer lecture today and it really made sense--he also described my son to a t, so I think it's what we need. I'm encouraged too by the learning to teach DVDs as I think that's my issue. I don't know how to teach writing and look forward to learning. we'll see.

I feel better knowing that the release of WWS is still planned for fall. I just requested TWTM book from the library again, and I think between that and SWB's writing lecture podcasts that I own, I can wing it until WWS is released. I just really feel like this writing program is working with my dd. She doesn't cry at every mention of writing, and that is such a blessing. She is challenged, but she understands what she is doing and can do it. And SWB writing philosophy makes so much sense!

I'm still looking at IEW, but I think it is more complicated and more expensive than I planned. I love the simplicity of WWE.

Thanks!!

Meaningful Composition has been awesome for my reluctant writer. Maybe you could use a book while you are waiting for WWS. There are only 18 weeks of work - this can be extended or made quicker also. It is very IEW-like - VERY. It is much, much easier to understand, imo, and cheaper too. Very gentle - written to the student. The subject matter is awesome - my kids have learned lot from that alone. It is step by step and works well for the reluctant writer, but there are also complete creative writing books for fun. My great writer just loves this also and has benefited a ton from them as well!

Just wanted to update those of you who are following this thread. I listened to SWB's writing lecture again for logic stage writing, and I took lots of notes. I'm going to keep up with WWE4 for the rest of the school year and introduce her to one level outlines. Then as we move into 6th grade, we will continue one level outlines and move into two level. When we are done with WWE4, we will follow SWB's suggestions for narratives and literary analysis. I really recommend that you, if you haven't already, download and listen to those lectures. They are awesome!!!!

Well, it sounds like you've got it all figured out now, but I was going to chime in and say I just went through the same process of trying to determine if WWE was enough. I checked out the hardback WWE book from the library and SWB very clearly states that it is enough and that was very helpful to me. Spending so much time on these boards always has me second guessing myself and wondering if I should be doing more.

I hope WWS comes out in time for you. We are only doing 3rd grade now, so I'm hoping SWB continues to keep one step ahead of us at least through middle school, if not high school.

I want to listen to those mp3s again. I've heard some of them in the past and found them very encouraging.

Lisa

Well, it sounds like you've got it all figured out now, but I was going to chime in and say I just went through the same process of trying to determine if WWE was enough. I checked out the hardback WWE book from the library and SWB very clearly states that it is enough and that was very helpful to me. Spending so much time on these boards always has me second guessing myself and wondering if I should be doing more.

I hope WWS comes out in time for you. We are only doing 3rd grade now, so I'm hoping SWB continues to keep one step ahead of us at least through middle school, if not high school.

I want to listen to those mp3s again. I've heard some of them in the past and found them very encouraging.

Lisa

I know what you mean about second guessing myself constantly! But I do feel like we've got our hands full here with school work, and I really don't think we can add anything else. I do look forward to seeing WWS. And those podcasts are wonderful!!!

Nakia, You may want to post your question on the Logic Stage Boards. The subject of writing has been a hot spot over there and you will find that we are all scratching out heads trying to figure it out. You have company!!!

If you search for Colleen's posts, you will find a wealth of information on how she has successfully implemented writing in her homeschool. She follows TWTM/SWB's methods pretty loyally and reading her (matter of fact) posts always help to make me feel grounded, especially when the Hive starts buzzing! :lol::lol: {{{I DEFINITELY have to spend less time here. Doing so allows me to absorb and sort things out in my head.}}}

I think your idea to stick with WWE4 until WWS comes out makes total sense. I've been reading the WWE text lately and I'm thinking of doing a writing "bootcamp" using the text's sample lessons with 5th grade dd. She has been doing pretty well with her history/literature narrations but we've outsourced writing this year and the class has required an extensive amount of writing and it's been rough for dd because her writing skills are not up to it. She's been getting the writing done for this class BUT it's felt like pulling teeth the whole time!!! However, I did realize through the process that dd needs to go back to work on some fundamentals. If students are not able to order their thinking and therefore order their writing, there isn't much sense in going any further. It is imperative that students develop these skills no matter how old they are. I've learned I have to meet dd at her level (and yes, reduce my expectations) and help her through the process as patiently as I possibly can. If your dd is doing well with WWE4, I think it's perfectly fine if she continues until she's finished. She can then take a break until WWS comes out in the fall. I'll be waiting too!

HTH!!

Edited by PenKase