Menu

Leapsters, DS's....Peer Pressure...oh my, what to do?

So our kids have Leapsters and several games. They play them off and on. Right now they are on a several day spurt of the 'on'. We've been happy with the Leapsters. The screen on one of the leapsters is starting to wear out/not perform as well.

Enter the DS.....we do not have one at our house. The kids friends are getting DS's. The kids think they are cool & fun. I kinda do too.

Part of me says, "Sure, let's get the kids DS's". So I began researching and realized that this would all add up... used DS lite, charger, stylus, case, games, more games. And I go, "Wait a minute! We already have $250 invested in Leapsters and games." Why are we switching? Is it the coolness factor? Is it so my kids can be part of the conversation when the other kids are chatting about their DS games/feats?

Then there is our friend who prefers to visit with families where the kids have DS's. She likes the kids to sit quietly in the corner playing their DS's. That doesn't happen at our house, at our house the kids play and that equals more noise and she doesn't care for that. Yes, she has kids.

So I sit torn....buy my kid a cool gaming system and invest more money? OR just keep using the ones we have, save money, and kids aren't in the loop as much with their peers. BTW...we do not have a Wii either!

You might say I'm feeling peer pressure to upgrade. Plus, I kinda want my kid to be able to have the cool toy the other kids have. We are not poor, we could buy it for them, but is that how we want to spend our money??? Seems like a redundancy/waste. My husband and I both would be just fine if we never bought a Wii or DS. We prefer books, legos, playing for the kids. On the other hand, I don't want my kid to feel deprived/disadvantaged. Tell me I'm not the only mom not keen on gaming systems but feeling pressure to buy one.

Any wisdom??

My dd has had a ds for 3 yrs and still plays it. I didn't go for the DSi becuase I did not want internet access, but we like them. That said, they are limited to weekends or road trips to use them.

I might allow them to use the Leapster's on the weekdays and ds's on weekends? Just a thought!

How old are your kids? We had Leapster, which was fine for a couple years, plus has lots of educational things. Then they outgrow it, so I wouldn't "over-invest" in Leapster unless you've got more Littles coming up.

For us, it's more about how DS works for our family -- we utilize it for long trips/weekends/and sometimes as a reward to be earned.

It is by no means an all day every day thing. More of a tool we use to provide on the go entertainment when it's convenient for us as a family.

I only have one kid old enough for a DS and she has one.

I am the opposite of your friend that prefers for children to pay ds at playgroup. I prefer for kids to NOT play DS at playgroup and I only permit it if the weather is too bad to play outside or there really isn't much room for them to play. I would find that really strange and I don't know that I would attend a quiet only playgroup.

Edited by Sis

I allowed my older kids to get DS's about three years ago. However, they had to present an oral report to dh and I about them and answer several questions (including how they would bring honor to the family). Then they were allowed to spend their own money to purchase one.

I did buy screen shields for the touch screen and Nerf cases for each one. Last year my youngest was allowed to do a report and then spend his money to buy one.

One of the things that I thought through was that it was hard to teach my kids to spend money responsibly unless I occasionally let them spend it. Sometimes their money burns a hole in their pockets. On the other hand, they have learned to read reviews about how fun games they are interested in might be and to wait for games to be available used.

I second the iTouch suggestion. Games are not nearly as expensive, you can add educational things too. My kids each have one and I put home movies, kids movies, kids TV shows, educational apps, games, family photos, songs that the kids love, etc.

DS's are nice, but my kids LOVE their iTouches. We have a Leapster too but the quality of the screen and stuff isn't nearly as nice and it rarely gets played.

How old are your kids? The reason I see for switching is that the Leapster games skew pretty young, 4 to 7 for the most part.

Another poster had a great idea about considering an ipod touch. It's very versatile, and apps are far cheaper than games!!

I prefer for kids to NOT play DS at playgroup and I only permit it if the weather is too bad to play outside or there really isn't much room for them to play. I would find that really strange and I don't know that I would attend a quiet only playgroup.

:iagree: I wrote about this on another thread. I had two old friends from hs over last summer with their kids and ALL of them wanted to just sit their and play DS. I thought it was rude/ strange and my kids were disappointed because they wanted to play WITH other kids.

I will say that we have a Wii and I let the kids play that together with friends sometimes because it is a bit more interactive but they only for a specified length of time.

My girls have Leapsters and I have a DS. So that means there is one DS in the family and the girls have to take turns playing it. That's another option to consider if you don't want it to be too consuming. We also do not have a Wii, nor do I really want to get one.

I don't get the mom wanting kids to play on DS's at a playdate - what's the point of getting kids together to play if they're just going to sit with their noses in a video game?? :confused:

The kids are 3, 5 & almost 7 yrs old.

Katilac - Thanks for pointing out the appropriate age for the Leapster, that's the current age range of my kids. I've calmed down now. I'll wait a bit longer, until they are outgrowing the Leapster and then think on the DS front again.

The grandparents bought my kids DS Lites for their 6th bday. I felt like they had outgrown most of the Leapster games honestly and there wasn't much potential for growth. The kids buy the games themselves with their allowance/tooth fairy money/grandparent money. They also got some games for Christmas. I feel like (assuming they take care of them) the DS's will last for years, whereas the Leapsters were a bit of a waste because their use was so short term.