Menu

Well, I did it.

I played in my first hockey game last night.

It's a co-ed beginner/intermediate league. I was definitely the most beginner of the beginners. I was slower than everyone else, wobblier than everyone else, and SHORTER than everyone else. I cannot do a hockey stop to save my life, and I got called offsides twice.

BUT!

I got my stick on the puck a half-dozen times, I got off a pass or two, and I learned that I can collide with both the large guys on the ice and the boards and not get seriously injured. I can fall down and not fall apart. I was told by the other players on my team (including my dh, who has been super-encouraging of this new venture) that I have excellent positioning (even if I can't actually do anything once they get the puck to me in my excellent position!).

I'm nearing 40. I'm really too old to start this. ;) But I have to say, I have developed a hearty new respect for my kids, who have been playing hockey for four years (dd9) and one year (ds8). It's amazing what they can do out there!! And how much more rubbery their bones are!! :D

Tara

Awesome! I'm impressed, I can't ice skate to save my life. Wobbly ankles. :lol:

Try hockey skates. WAAAAAY more ankle support! Be careful of the rockers though ... if you lean back, you just keep going!! Ask my tailbone how I know that!! :D

Tara

Love the new avatar ...

Thanks! That would be my son, aka The Brick Wall, in his tournament game this past weekend. Although they lost 9-7, they led the whole game until the last four minutes, and Brick Wall saved 27 shots on goal! Incidentally, in the same game, my dd (who doesn't have a snazzy nickname) got a hat trick (3 goals) and two assists ... and one of her goals was a Liberator-family goal ... ds saved a puck and passed it forward to dd, who took it down the ice and scored!

Oh, and you can't tell in the pic but Brick Wall is wearing his new Spiderman goalie helmet!!

Tara

I played in my first hockey game last night.

It's a co-ed beginner/intermediate league. I was definitely the most beginner of the beginners. I was slower than everyone else, wobblier than everyone else, and SHORTER than everyone else. I cannot do a hockey stop to save my life, and I got called offsides twice.

BUT!

I got my stick on the puck a half-dozen times, I got off a pass or two, and I learned that I can collide with both the large guys on the ice and the boards and not get seriously injured. I can fall down and not fall apart. I was told by the other players on my team (including my dh, who has been super-encouraging of this new venture) that I have excellent positioning (even if I can't actually do anything once they get the puck to me in my excellent position!).

I'm nearing 40. I'm really too old to start this. ;) But I have to say, I have developed a hearty new respect for my kids, who have been playing hockey for four years (dd9) and one year (ds8). It's amazing what they can do out there!! And how much more rubbery their bones are!! :D

Tara

Oh wow! That's incredible, not my dream, but I totally respect that. Adventures don't stop just because one's a housewife or not in the 20s any longer.