Menu

Why such BUZZ over Saxon???

mymonkeybug

We are in our second year of homeschooling after having pulled both kids from public. DS is a major math struggler and if the county looks at us, they say he is whatever PC words they might use.

Anyway, I still to this day try to find a good math fit for him. He is 11 and in 6th grade and is just now grasping multiplication but has no tables memorized yet, well maybe the 0's and 1's.

I see so many people rave about Saxon. Why is that? To me, honestly, it seems tooooooo textbook public school'ish for my liking. Why would I want to pull him from public school just to do public schooling methods at home?

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Heather

I think you'll find that Saxon brings out strong opinions on both sides. It's definitely a "love/hate" curricula. Many people love it and just as many hate it! :D

:iagree:

I'm kind of in both camps. As we plow through approximately 70 pages on division (:svengo:) in Math Mammoth 4B, I'm becoming more and more intrigued by Saxon for my dd. :tongue_smilie:

I think you'll find here just as many who dislike it as like it. It's all about finding what works for your particular needs and where your philosophy lies in teaching math (conceptual vs. rote; spiral vs. mastery; etc.). We tried Saxon and my daughter was in tears all the time; my son was mad and hated it. It just didn't work for us. However, I've heard great stories about it here too.

Well, it's not for everyone, but we chose it because it's a solid, thorough program. Now that I'm starting my 5th son on it, I can say that it has worked well for our family so far (my oldest is in 8/7, and cannot wait to start Algebra). We have to test for our state, and my boys who have tested have scored perfect or almost perfect scores on their ITBS math sections. My dh is an engineer, and about twice a month he pulls out his college math texts and explains some advanced ideas and concepts to the older three boys for fun, and he is impressed with how much they know.

The incremental approach has served us well. Do my boys jump up and down when it's time for math? No. Do they cry? No--as a matter of fact they will be the first to admit that while they don't like the amount of time it takes to do the lessons, they like the program because they are learning.

Guest RecumbentHeart

If it teaches the child math and both parent and child can work with it, then why not use it? I don't use Saxon but I don't homeschool to avoid textbooks. There are a host of reasons to not have children in public school besides textbook math ... like the non-math they teach in some districts around here which would make even the most non "textbook public school-ish" of us beg for Saxon (if it was the only alternative :p).

We are in our second year of homeschooling after having pulled both kids from public. DS is a major math struggler and if the county looks at us, they say he is whatever PC words they might use.

Anyway, I still to this day try to find a good math fit for him. He is 11 and in 6th grade and is just now grasping multiplication but has no tables memorized yet, well maybe the 0's and 1's.

I see so many people rave about Saxon. Why is that? To me, honestly, it seems tooooooo textbook public school'ish for my liking. Why would I want to pull him from public school just to do public schooling methods at home?

Heather

Hi Heather!

One of the beauties of home education is, if you don't like textbooks, you don't have to use them! :) We use and enjoy Saxon, but we do tweak it.

What other math curriculum have you tried? Are you still searching for something? Perhaps you could share your son's specific struggles, and other posters could point you in the right direction?

Anything that is a textbook will be public-schoolish. :-)

Saxon does a marvelous job of teaching math. It just does. It teaches differently from any other publisher. When I went to a couple of Christian school conventions with my friend the Saxon rep, there was a steady stream of teachers dropping by the booth all day long reporting that their students were amazingly successful, more of them were going on to more advanced maths, more of them were more successful in college. When it was first published back in the 80s, homeschoolers were immensely relieved to have something other than ABeka (this was before BJUP was complete below high school).

I don't know of any product written by and for homeschoolers that is a traditional math. There are some process math (i.e., math that depends on manipulatives) such as MUS or Making Math Meaningful, but not *traditional* math (i.e., math that *doesn't* depend on manipulatives, even though some might be used).

ITA about not using "public school methods" at home, but if you have "subjects," and "grade levels," and you do any testing or assign homework, and you have a school year that starts in August or September and ends in May or June and you "promote" your dc in the fall...well, those are public school methods, eh?

As homeschoolers we pick and choose what we do and how we do it. Much of it will look like school, if for no other reason than that it's how *we* were educated. You just make it work for you, whatever it is. And Saxon works for many, many people. If it doesn't work for you (and if you haven't tried it, you don't know if it will or not), then don't do it. :)

Guest Dulcimeramy

Saxon is hardly like public school math around here.

"Public school math" means Everyday Math, or TERC Investigations.

I don't use Saxon for elementary, but we are using it for Algebra and beyond.

Rather than replying to each post so far, I will say a BIG thanks to all for having commented to this point.

The text book thingy comment was just me stating my opinion of Saxon.

As for what we have tried or used, we have used Teaching Textbooks and I felt it was too computer based(call me old fashioned), MEPS but find having to tweak the English pounds for US currency for me a drag, Shiller Math which seemed too juvenile for him but I got thinking maybe he needed to go back a bit to relearn or learn period, and some other odds and ends things.

I am truly thinking that I would like to try Math U See for him or Math On The Level. I prefer the mastery approach to spiral. It seems to work best for him also; being able to master a concept before having another tossed out at him. I have also looked at Right Start Math and Moving With Math. It boils down to too many choices ugh.

As for the comment about Dyscalculia, I have been reading on it and many of the issues those with it show, he too shows. Lord knows his father probably has it and I don't mean that disrespectfully to my DH.

It was suggested to me when I first pulled him from public, to allow him a period of de-schooling or rest time to let go of the hatred of school so to speak. I did that and it helped I believe because now he doesn't cry over math. Also, I have been going slowly with him and not making him ride the conveyor belt at home as he did in public.

Some reading this will notice there seemed to be a great deal of "I" when referring to what we tried and didn't like and why. It is easy for me to say I don't like it when I see the reaction it gets out of him. I simply can't force feed a curriculum to him when he is in tears over it because he just doesn't get it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest mykemomar

Hi Heather!

In our home each of my daughters use a different math curriculum because they each processes information differently. One of the many beauties of homeschooling.

My oldest daughter (who is in 7th grade)tried to do Saxon in 6th grade, but was constantly in tears and hated math. On recommendation from a seasoned homeschool mom we switched to Math U See Zeta this year, and it is the amazing the difference in her attitude towards math. We don't use the manipulatives, but she does watch the video for each chapter. She is doing wonderfully! Math U See is a master one concept, every way you can do it, type of curriculum. I know they offer a curriculum that is just about multipication.

My next oldest daughter LOVES Saxon and is doing very well with the spiral concept, where a new idea is introduced with each lesson. The challenge is good for her and she doesn't need repetitive instruction. She also really likes that when doing her problems, each problem offers a reminder of what chapter she can go back to review should she be having difficulty finding the solution.

I think it just depends on the kiddo and honestly it has not been hard at all having each one my girls (I have two more, but they are younger) do different math programs. Most programs offer sample pages on their websites of their books and also testing to see what level you child would be best starting in. Hope this helps!!

Hi Heather!

In our home each of my daughters use a different math curriculum because they each processes information differently. One of the many beauties of homeschooling. !!

That is one thing I have to pound into my head, both kids can do different programs. I think as a still newer homeschooler, I am stuck in that 'let's all do the same thing' train of thought.

The incremental approach has served us well. Do my boys jump up and down when it's time for math? No. Do they cry? No--as a matter of fact they will be the first to admit that while they don't like the amount of time it takes to do the lessons, they like the program because they are learning.

This is my son too. He was really struggling with math and HATED what he had in public school--it was too dull for him and not challenging enough. We've been doing Saxon for a solid year now and although he "doesn't like math" he does like Saxon MUCH more than his other book. He's happy for the variety and little bits here and there. He's also being exposed to many more concepts than just the standard opperations.

Heather

Everyone's expectations and backgrounds on math are a little different. We've been using Saxon for 8 years now. I was able to use the early elementary levels with both of my oldest kids at the same time. They loved working with the manipulatives. I liked that the spiral approach meant that they rarely felt like they were tackling a big, new confusing topic. Concepts were introduced gradually and then they practiced them in the mixed practice over the next few days.

My 6th and 7th grader are now doing algebra. So I can't complain about the results. But kids are different and homeschool moms are different. What works for us might be torture for someone else.

FWIW, I don't see the early levels of Saxon as particularly textbookish. In fact, except for the meeting book with calendar and graph work and the book of worksheets, the student doesn't have a book to study. Instead the parent/teacher is using the teacher manual to guide them in the math explorations each lesson.

At the upper level, there is a textbook for the student. It reminds me of the upper level books that I used in high school and college; not the full color, busy, sidebar filled texts that are common in elementary and middle schools these days.

FWIW, the repetition of math facts via fact cards and fact drill sheets was a useful tool for our kids to move beyond understanding how operations worked to knowing the facts instinctively. This is another integral part of Saxon.

On the other hand, I've also seen that there is some value to sticking with one math program long enough for that program's system to have effect. Math is a subject that builds on past concepts. Sometimes frequent switching can be a negative, instead of being a way to find a program that finally works.

Let me say first that I love Saxon. My kids do not. Also Saxon did NOT teach them the multicplication tables at all. I decided to backtrack and switched to Math U See. It is so easy compared to Saxon, the kids love it. The manipulatives are a huge help and best of all they now truly know the times tables. It is amazing.

We had been doing Saxon 6/5 and went back to Gamma in Math U See. They are able to complete a chapter and test every two days so we are going to catch back up very quickly. For now we are sticking to Math U See.

I never thought I would leave Saxon but this is working so well, I may stick with it all the way! The spriral approach was what I loved about Saxon and Math U See has that too, so I am happy.