Menu

AO Folksongs question

mbosh237

For those of you who do AO, what do you use for the Folk Song selection? I looked at the one on Amazon that they talk about on the website. It looks great and I like the sound, but it has none of the songs on the AO rotation. I wasn't really impressed with the group they had make a CD (can't think of the group right off hand).

So....what do you use and how do you like it???

:bigear:

OK...this isn't exactly CM, but I use a lot of Fold songs from the 60's...or at least those recordings...Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul & Mary, Jorma Kaukonen, Crosby, Stills & Nash, etc. There are tons you can choose from and my kids don't balk about it. There are also even some videos on You Tube etc.

Faithe...(who also loves modern updates of hymns as well.)

I use AO and have yet to start folksongs:( Are you a part of the Yahoo Group? Moms are very helpful and you can do a search. Hope you get some answers here:) Gina

Thanks Gina. I was thinking about putting it on the yahoo group, I just don't post much there and thought I would try here first. I will go ahead and try there too and since there seems like I'm not the only one curious about this ai will post their suggestions here!

I meant to add, but was interrupted by a small person, that we have a lovely collection from the Metropolitan Museum of Art titled, "A Treasury of Children's Songs." And somewhere in my stacks of music I have a couple of collections of American folksongs. I may pick & choose from these, but I'm curious about the suggested songs on the AO site as well.

I believe this group is recommended by AO. http://www.homesteadpickers.com/

If you go to their website and scroll down you will see a homeschooler's CD. Click on that for further info. I think they recorded it specifically for AO users originally.

I never seem to have the extra $$ though, so I have just gotten CDs from the library.

Edited by woolybear
typo

We don't do the folksongs; I decided to cover musicals instead. Mostly Broadway musicals, but other movie musicals and Gilbert & Sullivan will pop in on occasion. The folksongs just weren't in our family's repertoire, whereas the music from musicals is very familiar and connects my kids to their extended family, who love musicals.

FWIW, we started the year with "The Sound of Music", we're doing "The King and I" now (with some geography study on Thailand for a reality check), and we're planning on doing "Mary Poppins" next year. I foresee doing "The Secret Garden" and "Peter Pan" next year, but we haven't settled yet (we're doing it with other AO friends).

There are lots of options...

I believe this group is recommended by AO. http://www.homesteadpickers.com/

If you go to their website and scroll down you will see a homeschooler's CD. Click on that for further info. I think they recorded it specifically for AO users originally.

I never seem to have the extra $$ though, so I have just gotten CDs from the library.

Have you looked at these...

http://www.homesteadpickers.com/

Their "Homeschooler's Folksong Collection" has all the songs from AO.... I just got mine in the mail the other day... we love it.

I believe this is the very CD that the original poster said she tried and wasn't impressed with from the sample. I have to agree with her... I would have loved a CD with all of AO's suggested folksongs on it, but the sample on the homesteadpicker's website is reminiscent of fingernails on chalkboard. If I played this for my children they would think folksongs were a torture method rather than a style of music. Is the actual cd better than the sample?

As others have mentioned, Peter, Paul, and Mary are about the best we've done here. OUr library has a few other options I haven't tried yet.

We don't do the folksongs; I decided to cover musicals instead. Mostly Broadway musicals, but other movie musicals and Gilbert & Sullivan will pop in on occasion. The folksongs just weren't in our family's repertoire, whereas the music from musicals is very familiar and connects my kids to their extended family, who love musicals.

FWIW, we started the year with "The Sound of Music", we're doing "The King and I" now (with some geography study on Thailand for a reality check), and we're planning on doing "Mary Poppins" next year. I foresee doing "The Secret Garden" and "Peter Pan" next year, but we haven't settled yet (we're doing it with other AO friends).

I love this idea.:001_smile:

I love the Wee Sing CDs and books. We just discovered them at the library and currently have Wee Sing Fun & Folk. It has so many fantastic songs, many of which I remember from my childhood and many I never knew. The singing is great and a nice mix of adults and kids singing. The book has all the music and lyrics and some simple drawings (which my pre-reader uses to tell what song he's on if he's listening on his own). This CD/book can be hard to find, I just got a 'gift pack' on ebay for 11.61 and free shipping, it has Fun & Folk and songs for baby (which I may or may not want, but it was worth it to get F&F). I think there was at least one more set.

We also really like the Peter Yarrow.

My kids LOVE musicals. May I ask how you do your study? Do you watch parts of the musical each week? Do you have a soundtrack and focus just on the music? Thanks for any details you can share. :)

I believe this is the very CD that the original poster said she tried and wasn't impressed with from the sample. I have to agree with her... I would have loved a CD with all of AO's suggested folksongs on it, but the sample on the homesteadpicker's website is reminiscent of fingernails on chalkboard. If I played this for my children they would think folksongs were a torture method rather than a style of music. Is the actual cd better than the sample?

As others have mentioned, Peter, Paul, and Mary are about the best we've done here. OUr library has a few other options I haven't tried yet.

It is the one I heard the samples of and I didn't like what I heard. I pretty much had the same reaction and your description of fingernails on a chalkboard pretty much describes it for me! I didn't know if the actual CD was better than the samples.

I will look into Peter, Paul and Mary. I'm not too confident I will find anything good at our library but I will certainly try. It's unfortunate it is so hard to find something good with the songs for each quarter!

It is the one I heard the samples of and I didn't like what I heard. I pretty much had the same reaction and your description of fingernails on a chalkboard pretty much describes it for me! I didn't know if the actual CD was better than the samples.

I will look into Peter, Paul and Mary. I'm not too confident I will find anything good at our library but I will certainly try. It's unfortunate it is so hard to find something good with the songs for each quarter!

The quality of the sound is better.... but it is bluegrassy kind of folksongs. So if you don't like the twang.... than it won't be your thang. :D But if its the quality that you are worried about, the cd is better than the samples.

My kids LOVE musicals. May I ask how you do your study? Do you watch parts of the musical each week? Do you have a soundtrack and focus just on the music? Thanks for any details you can share. :)

Our system isn't set in stone, but here is what we've done so far: we watch the musical a couple times at the beginning of the term, then occasionally during the term. Especially if we're renting it from the library, we end up "stacking" the viewings into short periods of time. Then I'll pick out the major songs that I want to cover, and put them on our bi-weekly CD. I tend to put the first song on the first CD of the term, then add a second song, then a third, and by the end of the term the girls are used to hearing a fairly large portion of the soundtrack at a time. It also gives us time to "get to know" each song, while still getting to revisit the others.

And then be prepared for little mini-shows and singing all through the day! I can't tell you how many times my girls have acted out "Do Re Mi" or sung "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" with wild abandon.

We've also taken the time to watch a documentary about the real Trapp family for the Sound of Music, and we've watched a documentary and read several books about real modern-day Thailand with the King and I. We've also pointed out Austria and Thailand on the map, and added symbols for the time periods of the shows on our timeline.

Good luck with this, if you decide to try it! It has been more fun than I can say.

:)

Our system isn't set in stone, but here is what we've done so far: we watch the musical a couple times at the beginning of the term, then occasionally during the term. Especially if we're renting it from the library, we end up "stacking" the viewings into short periods of time. Then I'll pick out the major songs that I want to cover, and put them on our bi-weekly CD. I tend to put the first song on the first CD of the term, then add a second song, then a third, and by the end of the term the girls are used to hearing a fairly large portion of the soundtrack at a time. It also gives us time to "get to know" each song, while still getting to revisit the others.

And then be prepared for little mini-shows and singing all through the day! I can't tell you how many times my girls have acted out "Do Re Mi" or sung "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" with wild abandon.

We've also taken the time to watch a documentary about the real Trapp family for the Sound of Music, and we've watched a documentary and read several books about real modern-day Thailand with the King and I. We've also pointed out Austria and Thailand on the map, and added symbols for the time periods of the shows on our timeline.

Good luck with this, if you decide to try it! It has been more fun than I can say.

:)

Thanks so much for typing this out! "Minishows" are always fun; I overheard my dd4 singing "My Favorite Things" today while coloring so we get some of those already! :D I'll have to think about how this could work at our house. Thanks again!

We LOVE singing here, but haven't done any system. Well, I just got in a program last week that is called, Make Music, Pray Twice and it mixes, hymns, chants, fingerplays and folk songs from around the world. We have done various ones from Wee Sing as well. The kids loved I've been working on the railroad, Christmas songs, pretty much anything with a good tune. I just go through the books and pick ones I think we might like and I have an idea of tune and we start singing! I LOVE the musical idea as well.