Menu

Outside Gear/Playing Options

My husband and I are looking to get some things for my daughters to play with outside. They are still very young. We are looking to spend about $150-$300. My 2 year old is not super active and when we go in the backyard to play right now, she has no idea what to do with herself and just sort of lays around in the grass.

So my question is, what do you get the most "mileage" out of at that age and the next few years older than that? I was looking at swing sets and trampolines and things like that, but I know a lot of the time those things just don't get used, or they're too flimsy in my price range to be fun. Or maybe they do get used a ton? I don't know. I'm just looking for suggestions.

Also I hate sandboxes, but if everyone tells me they're magic, I'll reconsider. :001_smile:

ETA: I'm also looking maybe for just getting several good toys to play with out there and am happy for suggestions for those either.

Edited by Meagan S

My mom has a small home daycare. For her tots (under 5) the swings and sandbox get the most use along with the ride-on toys.

They also love getting involved in the gardening and going on walks to get the mail. Visiting the elderly neighbor is a popular outing as well- they love the attention and of course the cookie they receive and the woman loves seeing young kids. She lives in the country so the neighbor is about 1/2mile walk.

Ride on toys

Push toys - lawn mower, doll carriage, shopping cart, large toy trucks, or wheelbarrow

Child size lawn and garden tools

Balls

Playhouse - Plastic ones can often be found at garage sales

Swingset or free standing sliding board

If you don't want sand, is there a spot in your yard for digging in dirt? Some children like to garden.

Hmm, maybe one of those sand tables?

Also, I found this which looks totally awesome but a little bit out of our age and price range. Maybe later...

That looks really neat. It looks like something little kids, as young as 2, even, could use safely (because the youngest ones couldn't go far, but I may be underestimating some kids. YMMV).

We have this sand and water table (although ours is older, so it has different colors). I liked it because they can't sit in the sand. They can sit or stand on the grass. My girls still use it.

This one is adjustable height.

Edited by gardening momma

We have a swingset and a Step 2 Climber that my kids never use. :glare:

We have a sandbox....this one .....and it gets used sometimes.

My girls (they are 6 and 3) number one favorite thing to use outside is this...the Step 2 Sand/Water Table. Except I'm not crazy enough to put sand in it too LOL, we just put water in it and the kids have a blast. They bring their animals and people from inside and will play for hours.

We have numerous "vehicles" for them to use, such as a Big Wheel, a trike, a bike with training wheels, a cozy coupe car, and a Power Wheels. They use all of them frequently in the driveway except for the bike.

Like yours, my girls sometimes just sort of wander around outside. They enjoy making mud pies in a bucket and stirring it up with a stick. They enjoy collecting rocks, sticks, leaves, etc. We don't have a very big yard though so their findings are pretty limited.

One neat thing is that these kind of outside toys take up a lot of space, so they are easy to find affordable on Craigslist and such when folks' kids outgrow them.

And yes, definitely this. I found our Cozy Coupe car, our Step 2 Climber, our wagon, our sandbox, and our sand/water table either on craigslist or at garage sales. I never pay full price for those type of things.

We use this as a water table. Love it!!!

We have a dirt pile under a tree. The kids LOVE it, and dh doesn't get all crazy about the dirt spreading around the yard. The dirt washes off easier than sand too. But....either sand or dirt is required....and preferrably near a water source.

I would love to get a kid sized plastic picnic table again. When we had one, it was used all the time for play.

We also have outside dishes for the kids to use.

Did anyone mention a toddler swimming pool? Even my big kids love the toddler swimming pool.

For a cheap sand box get a large used tractor tire, paint it any color you want with exterior latex paint and fill with sand. It is cushiony enough to sit on the sides and deep enough to really have some fun.

Play house (if you can invest some more for one of the wooden tool sheds from Homedepot or Lowes, when the kids grow out of it it can really function as a tool shed)

If you have someone handy here are some plans to be able to make several differnt big toys for your back yard: http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/extpubs/Plans/6317.pdf

big wheel, slip and slide, kiddy pool, don'e forget other things like bubbles, and jump ropes. You could also do a chineese jump rope (long elastic with ends sewn together, could cover it with a sleeve of fabric to make it easier for preschoolers it will end up looking like a giant hair scrunchy) here is a video how to play: http://www.youtube.com/user/rubberbandskipper#p/a/u/1/04KL3l0L0AU

you could paint a hopscotch or 4 square on a concrete patio or use concrete stepping stones for hopscotch.

For the current age + many years to come...

swing set (number one item)

sandbox

balls

For a bit later:

hoppy balls (your older could probably mangage a small one of these)

zip line

tree house or fort

monster disk (your older could probably do fine w/ this)

pocket knives

For the current age + many years to come...

swing set (number one item)

sandbox

balls

For a bit later:

hoppy balls (your older could probably mangage a small one of these)

zip line

tree house or fort

monster disk (your older could probably do fine w/ this)

pocket knives

I would be extremely cautious about doing the zip line. I've been on zip lines--

• A professional zip line tour in Hawaii, with helmets and harnesses (safest option)

• A rope stretched across my great-grandparents barn, going from one loft to the other, over a bunch of farm equipment below, holding onto a wooden handle of some sort. Fun, but scary. I was elementary age then.

• At my best friend's house, a rope stretched from one tree to another. Held onto the ends of a piece of rope that was simply put over the zip line rope. I fell almost immediately, from a story and a half high because I didn't hold on tightly enough. My back hurt for a few minutes. It's a miracle I wasn't hurt more. Jr. High age.

I think the only safe zipline includes a helmet and harness.