Menu

Need ASAP Saturday! Best Chicken Pot Pie recipe

Mt friend suffered cardiac arrest a couple of weeks ago and many of us have signed up to take her a meal. I chose Chicken Pot Pie.

For years I've made chicken pot pie as follows:

Chicken: cooked, cooled and cubed

Whole grain rice blend

Frozen veggies, boiled

Little sour cream

Little milk if needed

Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder

Combine and bake in dish with or w/o pie crust. This comes out on the drier side like a casserole.

Now, I'd like a different version, like the ones in the store....a little more runny, but NOT watery.

Recipes? Ideas? Suggestions? I need this asap as I'll need to go to the store and prepare....to give to her.

THANKS!!

Well, this isn't Marie Callendar's, but we love it because it is easy and very tasty.

1-16oz pkg. frozen mixed veggies

2 TBSP butter

1/2 c EACH onion and celery, chopped

1/2 tsp thyme leaves

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

(this is the original recipe...make your own "cream of __" soup with a white sauce)

1 c milk

3 c diced, cooked chicken (or turkey)

1/4 tsp pepper

1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust

Cook veggies and drain. (I actually just put them in a colander and run hot water over them to thaw)

Saute onion, celery and thyme in butter until tender.

Add soups and milk. Stir until smooth.

Add chicken and pepper.

Pour into 9x13 baking dish.

Cover with pie crust.

Bake at 375* for 30 min. covered, then uncovered until crust is golden brown.

Ours is sort of solid, but since it doesn't have rice and you can adjust the amount of flour, I think you could adjust that. (I'm replying with it because you really wanted something soon.)

2 c chicken broth

1 c cubed potatoes

1 c sliced carrots

1 t salt

1/8 t pepper

1/4 t dried basil

1/2 c green peas (may be frozen)

1/2 c sliced celery

3 T flour (if you took this down to 1 1/2 or even just 2 T, I think you'd get a more gravy-like consistency)

1/4 c water

2 c cooked chicken pieces

1 c biscuit baking mix

1/8 t poultry seasoning

Measure 1/3 c chicken broth and set aside. Combine remaining broth, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and basil. Bring to boil and cook 10 minutes. Add peas and celery and cook 5 minutes. Blend flour and water. Add to vegetables, stirring until thickened. Add chicken and pour into 2-quart casserole dish.

Combine biscuit mix and poultry seasoning. Stir in reserved broth until soft dough forms. Spoon dough onto chicken mixture. Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.

(We don't have biscuit baking mix, so I always just mix up 1/2 a recipe of baking powder biscuits, add some sage or thyme to the dry ingredients, and use the broth instead of milk. Then I roll it out into the basic shape of the casserole dish and plop the whole thing on top. It's a good recipe, especially for taking to someone else because they can do the final baking themeselves and have it be hot. However, it's quite a production for me (I have to do things like this while schooling in the morning), so we don't make it too often.)

HTH!

Mama Anna

Thanks you two! I'm excited about both. I'm going to actually make both and give one to Donna and keep one for us! :D I'll have to set aside a bit of the other for us to taste too. ;)

These sound so yummy. I"m appreciative.

Thanks.

PS....I forgot to add I do use Campbell's cream of chicken soup and broccoli cheese soup. I knew I left someting out, but couldn't figure it out until seeing the recipes posted!! :tongue_smilie:

I don't have a recipe, but this is what I do:

Chile up celery, onions, carrots, and some previously boiled small red potatoes (a cup or so of each?) cook them in a little olive oil. Once they are soft add a little butter and flour to make a roux. Cook the roux for a bit, then add about a 1/2 cup of chicken stock, whisking as you go. Let it thicken, continue to whisk until it is smooth. Add about...oh...a cup or cup and a half of milk a little at a time, whisking and letting it thicken. Add a cup or so of frozen peas that you have allowed to thaw. Season with sea salt, white pepper, black pepper and thyme. Dump it in a baking dish (or individual ramekins), top with puff pastry, brush the pastry with egg wash.

I make my sauce pretty thick, but adding more chicken stock or milk would make it thinner.

Here is the one we love:

Prep: 30 min Bake:25 min

3 medium carrots, sliced

2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1/4 cup butter, cubed

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (note--- we like ours a tad thicker, so I use 1/3 c. flour)

2 cups chicken broth

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 cups cubed cooked chicken (to keep it simple, I use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken---super yummy!)

1 cup frozen peas, thawed

1 jar (4 1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained

4 green onions, sliced

1 pastry for single crust 9 inch pie (We use the frozen Pillsbury crust that comes in a 2-pack. The crust is sweet, which we think adds a nice flavor. While the veggies cook, I take out a crust and let it thaw on the counter in its tray, but removing as soon as it's a bit pliable- otherwise, it will tear if I wait until the end).

Directions:

Place carrots, potatoes, and turnip in a large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; stir in the white sauce, chicken, peas, mushrooms, and onions. transfer to a greased 2-quart round baking dish.

Place the pastry over the filling; trim, seal, and flute the edges. Cut slits in the top. Bake at *375 for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is brown and filling is bubbly.

**Note. We do add an extra 1 or 2 smallish potatoes & 1 or 2 extra turnip (smallish) than recommended, as we like them. With my modifications, it makes enough to till a big round 2.5 Liter White French Corningware dish.

sheryl,

Please don't take this as criticism...but does your friend have dietary restrictions now?

Oftentimes after heart issues people have to change their way of eating.

Right...actually she is detained in the hospital longer than planned. Here's the story. She had cardiac arrest while she was praying for her son! She was home and PTL her dh was too and performed cpr on her immediately which probably saved her life.

While in the hospital they induced her into a coma to perserve her. She contacted pneumonia....bummer. So, they are waiting for the pneumonia issue to subside and perform the rest/all of the tests. From that they will determine the "root" cause. She will be fitted with a pacemaker and released...in time.

She is truly a "living" miracle.

So, we were told no restrictions. Originally everyone was to make servings to feed 4, but Donna will not be home tomorrow when my meal is expected. It will now feed 3.

Is chicken pot pie a bad choice for caridac patients? PLMK!

Okay, my father suffered a massive heart attack two years ago this July and I was SHOCKED how unrestricted his diet was!! I cannot remember, but you might want to check on the cream of __ soup. Most of the other ingredients in Chicken Pot Pie is just meat and veggies.

In the HOSPITAL they were bringing my dad stuff that I could not believe! We questioned his cardiologist and he said fine.

Right...actually she is detained in the hospital longer than planned. Here's the story. She had cardiac arrest while she was praying for her son! She was home and PTL her dh was too and performed cpr on her immediately which probably saved her life.

While in the hospital they induced her into a coma to perserve her. She contacted pneumonia....bummer. So, they are waiting for the pneumonia issue to subside and perform the rest/all of the tests. From that they will determine the "root" cause. She will be fitted with a pacemaker and released...in time.

She is truly a "living" miracle.

So, we were told no restrictions. Originally everyone was to make servings to feed 4, but Donna will not be home tomorrow when my meal is expected. It will now feed 3.

Is chicken pot pie a bad choice for caridac patients? PLMK!

I think a "healthy" homemade CPP would be OK for most people. As long as it is not dripping with fat/butter and has a good amount of veggies.

The premade/frozen ones get almost half their calories from fat but I know you are making your own.

I didn't mean to worry you!

Super easy

Pie crust top and bottom (use store bought or home-made)

shredded chicken about a handful (left overs work great, canned in a pinch. like when you live overseas and fresh chicken isn't an option)

creamy white sauce Easy to make with butter or olive oil and flour. I saute onions in the oil a little and then make the roue, next add milk about a 1-2 cups or heavy cream You can use a can of cream of whatever

Season white sauce with any seasonings you like salt & pepper, garlic etc.

frozen or fresh veggies, can work in a pinch I usually do potatoes, carrots, peas, celery, corn etc.

1 can cream of corn

Put bottom pie crust into pie plate, dump in the ingredients and top with the crust. Bake until it bubbles a bit

I think a "healthy" homemade CPP would be OK for most people. As long as it is not dripping with fat/butter and has a good amount of veggies.

The premade/frozen ones get almost half their calories from fat but I know you are making your own.

I didn't mean to worry you!

Premade/frozen, or one made with canned soup/veggies, is also going to be high in sodium, which is often an issue with cardiac patients.

YES, I should have known about the butter which is high fat and high sodium issues. My dad is a cardiac patient and this slipped right past me. Thanks for the reminders.

I'm hoping this will work for her family....will keep those tips in mind for heart patients though. Perhaps doing a low fat version, etc. THANKS!