Menu

What condition is noise sensitivity a symptom of?

I find myself more and more (over the years) very sensitive to sound and noise. - especially competing ones. When the kids are noisy, at the least it is distracting, and at time it is grating, irritating and overwhelming. I try to keep it in check (I know they are kids, and that's what they do!), but it is something I am continuously aware of. When one is next to me playing something imaginary with vocal sound effects (DS9), the baby is playing with his toy telephone, the girls are upstairs banging cupboards, playing house, running around (hear feet going boom boom boom)...all of these little noises going on in my head at once - competing for my attention and dragging me from what I am TRYING to concentrate on can be so frustrating. Most people say "oh, just tune it out". I don't get that - HOW? ;-p DH even LIKES all of those sounds going on at once - they are "signs of home life" to him. I feel guilty for not always feeling the same way. I'm working on it.... I also wonder if it is just the "mommy" in me, constantly being aware of WHERE everyone is, HOW everyone is, if anyone is hurt, needs help, needs monitoring, etc. - just always being "on the job". KWIM?

Anyway, just curious if anyone has a similar "noise" issue. And is it a symptom of something? a physical condition or mental? FWIW, I am told my mother is the same way, and that her tolerance, also, has diminished over the years. (She's in her 60's now, and Ii notice it in her very much).

Ideas? Thoughts? TIA! - Stacey in MA

Perimenopause/menopause.

Many women lose their ability to screen noise over the years. It's rough if you have kids late in life, as I did. Boys to boot!

Suggestions: I know of no cure for it, but maybe someone else does (I hope, I hope) I've had to work at training my kids that they aren't doing anything wrong, but my brain just can't handle the noise levels. I really wish I still had that ability to screen noise for their sakes and mine.

You might want to consider doing TLP. It is a sound therapy that is easy to do at home. It consists of listening to specially modulated classical music for 15 minutes a day. The modulations block out and "burst" specific frequencies in a very graduated manner. Basically, what it does is condition your auditory system so it normalizes your responsiveness to sound. It's not guaranteed, but it does have a good track record with improving tolerance to loud sounds. Cost is around $325. This is an online provider that I would use if I needed to purchase the program. I have heard that some European professional musicians use it when they get older as a "tune-up" for their aging ears.

I really have no advice, but I do have a friend who is very similar. She is also the type of person who notices everything visually. She's really anal about her home, she notices if you wear a new shirt, she's super structured with her time and schedule, ECT. I've always chalked up her noise sensitivity to her overall brain wiring. I'm sure that didn't help at all, but at least you're not alone!

You know, the first thought that came to my mind after reading your post is..."burn out," "system overload" or even generalized anxiety. They can go together, of course, and either could cause hypersensitivity.

I pray you can find some peaceful time to unwind each day and for more extended periods a couple times a month. Find space to breathe, to be quiet, and to just BE. Maybe that'll help. If not, please consider talking with your doctor.

Blessings,

Kim

I've been reading The Magnesium Miracle. Magnesium has a calming effect on the nervous system, among its many benefits.

I use a powdered magnesium supplement called Natural Calm mainly for insomnia, and it's very relaxing. You could also try an Epsom salt bath since that's another source of magnesium. Green vegetables, nuts (especially almonds and cashews), seeds, and legumes are good dietary sources.

I have similar issues including a hyper-startle reaction to sudden loud noises. A banged pot or dropped book can actually startle me so badly I start shaking and hyperventilating. It's worse around my period, as is the feeling that touching me (particularly lightly) makes my skin want to crawl off my body. I find I have to sometimes turn off the book on tape in the car and ask my daughter to stop talking when I am making a difficult turn in traffic, merging onto the interstate, backing up in a tight situation, etc. so that I can focus.

I also have no idea how one is supposed to "screen out" this sort of thing. I can't. A friend recommended I try a b-complex vitamin and that seems to help moderate things a bit.

I agree that it can make things difficult with a later in life baby. I was 38 when my daughter was born and am now 45. There have been times when I felt incredibly guilty about having to say "I love you, but please don't touch Mommy right now!" I don't know if it is an early symptom of perimenopause---I had thought it might be but the doctor tells me my bloodwork shows I am not in that stage yet. It's certainly not because I'm anal about my house and schedule, though LOL!

I have always had this problem. I've had it since I can remember, so it has nothing to do with perimenopause/menopause or aging.

I do not have a hearing problem, but I do notice that my ears are also more sensitive to wind and cold. I had frequent earaches as a child, but I think it was most often swimmer's ear.

It is also not just an issue of burnout or stress for me. I have this problem even when I am happy and relaxed and my load is light, though I do notice increased irritability over my inability to block all those noises when I am stressed. Other times it is just distracting and hard to concentrate on what I am reading or what is being said or even what I am doing.

I think I'll look into the magnesium thing. I'd rather tell everyone to be quiet, go off on my own, or buy some earplugs than pay the $325 for the therapy right now.

I have generalized depression and panic/anxiety with some adrenal fatigue thrown in. When I am anxious/nervous even a bit I get super sensitive to noises. When I eat right, get the nutrition I need my anxiety is less and thus my sensitivity to noise. I have to be really up front with people and my family about this. It really does HURT and makes my nerves jump on end.

I appreciate the mention here of magnesium etc...I'll look into that...

Anyway, my brother has this same issue and he found a website that was dedicated to noise sensitivity. Google "noise sensitivity" and see what you come up with. It could be a combination of things mentioned here, too! (I'm almost forty after all...but I have noticed my issues for years...)

OH, I'm so glad someone said something about this. I thought it meant I was just a nervous wreck. I've gotten so sensitive to noise that I can't sleep well if I hear ANYTHING going on at night. Tapping, banging, repetitive noise or chaotic noise puts me over the edge and I want to kill something or someone. Now I have a direction to go, it's either magnesium or perimenopause. I feel so much better now!

I've always had it. Nothing really helps. I'm the mom that is always saying, "Shush!" and "Go outside for a while!" Noise makes me feel like my nerves are on the outside of my body.

Barb

Yes! That is a great description! Of course I can make all the noise I want and it never bothers me a bit, LOL. For a quiet person, I can be quiet loud at times:D I'm okay with noise as long as I have control over it.