Menu

Will DH just give me a chance!

Ugh! I have been hsing my oldest for about a year and a half. My other ds goes to ps. He is passing but only because the teacher is making every accomidation possible for him to squeak by. I believe he is dyslexic(not as bad as older ds) and needs more than the school is willing to offer. DH agreed to let him come home. We decided that I would have to get the curriculum and then pull him during spring break. Fast forward to yesterday. My ps son needed to make up work from ps because he was sick and my hs son needed to do work because we went on a field trip last week. I decided we would have school. It couldn't have been worse! My ds12 and ds9 were a big pain. I had one doing one thing and then one doing another and they both needed help and when I wasn't able to help one right away they left the table and then I had to get them going again. This went on for about 4 hours. My dh said it was a disaster and there was no way I could handle teaching both and certianly not doing any remedial work with both. He decided it was best if the ps child stayed at school! Ugh! I tried to tell him that I just had to get my groove and that I would be teaching what I wanted to teach and not what the teacher wanted me to do. How do you all handle more than one child?

Yeah.......Because the first time at anything = instant success!

I have four, been doing this for a year (on my own) and just now hit my groove! The thing about grooves-- aren't they worn down from lots of passings by?

Sometimes I think I'm the WORST ever, then I relax and find out that I'm doing alright!

You'll be fine!!

with DH: He's either gonna trust you are not. Not a whole lot you can do about that. You'll never be perfect and if you don't have his support in YOU (not HSing) then you'll never be able to let your guard down. So do what you can and know that you cannot do anything about his actions.

Lara

Other points... it's always harder to help with homework when you're not exactly sure what the teacher has been doing. YOU haven't read the lesson, etc.

When you are homeschooling the 2 of them there will be some subjects you can do together. History, some science, writing together, etc.

The whole thing is so different than running around trying to wrap your head around something you just looked at for the first time with the ps student and then jumping over to homeschool the other one.

It will take time, but it will be better than that. JMHO

I'd be politely requesting that dh dumps a lecture on the kids that runs something like:

"Listen here, you boys. If I get home tomorrow, or the next day, or any other day and hear that you haven't properly finished the work Mum assigns with a reasonable attitude, I'm going to have your behinds outside doing yard work until after dark because I don't want slack sons. I want hardworking sons I can be proud of." There's no harm in that providing you are careful to make sure you really aren't asking too much and you stop the lesson before they go bananas.

Consider trying a workbox system too. Dad probably has better things to do with his evening than invent ways to exhaust boys. Workboxes would give them a way to see what comes next, so they can get on with it; and it would tell their dad exactly what should have been done he can look it over and make appropriate comments without you being anywhere near them or "dobbing." "You did a good job drawing that map, very neat;" "Tell me about the book you were reading today;" "Fractions are still giving you trouble, huh? Keep at it and you'll get it." I remember someone on here saying their husband read the logic stage recommendation for whatever rhetoric stage book their kids were working on, so he could contribute to discussions. I thought that was a mighty fine idea.

Rosie

I think I'd need more than one day to call anything a disaster. FWIW, my kids seem to act especially awful when dh is home and we are doing school. Like yesterday, for example. Dh was home for President's Day, but we did school to try to make up for missing several days when my aunt passed away. The kids were absolute monsters for me. I'm sure dh thought that his head would explode if he had to deal with them in a teaching capacity on a daily basis. He didn't say anything directly to me, but he did yell at the boys a few times. Today, they willingly did their work with mostly good attitudes, as they do most days. I should videotape a good day to play back to dh to show him that it isn't always a chaotic nightmare around here!

Ask your dh for a longer trial period than one day. If he still thinks it's too much after 3-4 months, have another discussion about the options for your ds2.

I alternate between them. Often, when I'm working with one, the other is taking a break. I suppose you can limit their choices during break. But I firmly believe that even in that type of environment, my children are getting a more personalized education that is much more conducive to learning than they would be getting in school.

Your DH is frightened. He likely feels responsible for their education. It is a huge responsibility. Now that I have a dd18 who is probably not going to get her accredited high school diploma, something that is important to all of us, I can't help but wish I had done things much differently.

Well, I think you both set yourself (and the children) up for failure. You can't decide on the spur of the moment to teach two challenging students (because of the dyslexia) and expect it to go well. And your dh can't judge based on one unplanned day that things will work or not work.

I think you need to know that in order for homeschooling to work, you will need a plan. Something like workboxes will help for those times when they're both clamoring for your attention. You'll need to teach them that "when you get stuck and I'm working with your brother, you need to pull this out" and show them material or drill etc. that they absolutely can do on their own. I think you need to do your homework. Show your dh that you're doing what you need to do to set your children up for success - at least most of the time.

Of course, it will take some time and trial and error but I think with kids that need structure like I'm assuming yours do, you need to set that up as much as possible first.

A friend of mine who has 3 who homeschool had this idea and I'm totally planning to copycat her when DS is older.

And yeah, it's totally different when you're trying to teach someone else's material vs your own...

This is great! Thank you for sharing this. Now to find a place to write this down so I don't forget it when I'll need it...

I'd be politely requesting that dh dumps a lecture on the kids that runs something like:

"Listen here, you boys. If I get home tomorrow, or the next day, or any other day and hear that you haven't properly finished the work Mum assigns with a reasonable attitude, I'm going to have your behinds outside doing yard work until after dark because I don't want slack sons. I want hardworking sons I can be proud of."

i love this!

dh has given this talk to our kids. it helps.