Menu

Paying for it all?

Ok, I'm coming out and just asking. How do you pay for this curriculum? I was looking at some of this great curriculum for my son and the prices are really scary.

Bartons, Kurzweil, etc..It was enough to make me a bit sick. I realize I need to do what is best for my son, but after 22 years, I found myself a single mom with special needs kids. I can't be the only one in this situation.

Any tips on how you all afford these wonderful products?

Here are some recent threads about costs and budgeting that might be helpful:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245521

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243112

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244171

What I do is I don't get my heart set on any specific curriculum (or at least not very many!). I keep the big picture in mind of what subjects I want to cover and what kinds of materials I want, then try to be flexible and use what I can find at a reasonable price.

Honestly (and I think this is going to make some on the board twitch), we are applying for disability for the two worst off in order to pay for the things they need.

Otherwise, we aren't getting everything that they need. I did buy a level of Barton on ebay and used tax refund money for that.

I'd like to do CogMed with my 8yo, for example, but it is $1300. If he gets disability, I'll pay for that out of his lump sum amount.

Honestly (and I think this is going to make some on the board twitch), we are applying for disability for the two worst off in order to pay for the things they need.

Otherwise, we aren't getting everything that they need. I did buy a level of Barton on ebay and used tax refund money for that.

I'd like to do CogMed with my 8yo, for example, but it is $1300. If he gets disability, I'll pay for that out of his lump sum amount.

This is the best idea.

:iagree: Sometimes it is like the necessary evil. We couldn't do it without state insurance (determined by disability) for both that covers all the therapies we have needed and disability income for one that has covered other things. If you know what you want some people are able to buy used, or encourage libraries to purchase curriculums, or borrow them from other places.

For those therapies, tutors, and curriculums that aren't paid for, we just scrimp and save and do the best we can.

Ok, I'm coming out and just asking. How do you pay for this curriculum? I was looking at some of this great curriculum for my son and the prices are really scary.

Bartons, Kurzweil, etc..It was enough to make me a bit sick. I realize I need to do what is best for my son, but after 22 years, I found myself a single mom with special needs kids. I can't be the only one in this situation.

Any tips on how you all afford these wonderful products?

I'm blessed. My husband has been very generous and never complains about the cost of special ed materials--in fact he's the one who encouraged me to go ahead and start Bartons. We're tight with money when it comes to many other expenses. No fancy vacations here. My car is fifteen years old. I cook most of our meals. While we have some new clothes, none of us are too proud to wear hand-me-downs.

I don't compare the cost of the special education products to other home education or regular school materials, but I compare special ed products to the cost of private schools and various other evaluations and professional services. The materials I buy allow me to work with my son at home for a small fraction of what it would cost if someone else provided it. If you have ever looked at the cost of tutoring or private schools, these materials don't seem very expensive after all.

I also use these products with more than one child, so my "cost per child" is less. I save money by not buying something else for each child. For reading and spelling they all use special ed materials. While it might be more than what most children need, it's not going to hurt my "normal" children if they get an extra-intensive spelling and reading phonics program. Dyslexia often runs in families, and "stealth dyslexia" may not show up in some children until much later.

Unlike some other products I have bought, I have been very pleased with the special education materials I have chosen and used. All of what I wrote above assumes that the special ed materials are used (not just collecting dust on some shelf) and that they benefit the people using them.

---

Edit: I also compare the cost of programs like Barton not just to the cost of tutors for the student, but to training programs for teachers. I'm his teacher--and as the teacher of a child with special needs, sometimes I need extra training. These programs are not just for him; they are also for me. I'm learning too.

Edited by merry gardens
teacher training too

I'm blessed. My husband has been very generous and never complains about the cost of special ed materials--in fact he's the one who encouraged me to go ahead and start Bartons. We're tight with money when it comes to many other expenses. No fancy vacations here. My car is fifteen years old. I cook most of our meals. While we have some new clothes, none of us are too proud to wear hand-me-downs.

I don't compare the cost of the special education products to other home education or regular school materials, but I compare special ed products to the cost of private schools and various other evaluations and professional services. The materials I buy allow me to work with my son at home for a small fraction of what it would cost if someone else provided it. If you have ever looked at the cost of tutoring or private schools, these materials don't seem very expensive after all.

I also use these products with more than one child, so my "cost per child" is less. I save money by not buying something else for each child. For reading and spelling they all use special ed materials. While it might be more than what most children need, it's not going to hurt my "normal" children if they get an extra-intensive spelling and reading phonics program. Dyslexia often runs in families, and "stealth dyslexia" may not show up in some children until much later.

Unlike some other products I have bought, I have been very pleased with the special education materials I have chosen and used. All of what I wrote above assumes that the special ed materials are used (not just collecting dust on some shelf) and that they benefit the people using them.

---

Edit: I also compare the cost of programs like Barton not just to the cost of tutors for the student, but to training programs for teachers. I'm his teacher--and as the teacher of a child with special needs, sometimes I need extra training. These programs are not just for him; they are also for me. I'm learning too.

:iagree: I suspected my youngest dd was dyslexic by age 4, and by age 7 there was no doubt. I told my dh that I would not throw good money after bad by trying to make do with cheaper curriculum. I would research the best curriculum and go with it. That doesn't mean you have to spend a ton of money for each subject, though!

We use Barton for reading and spelling because it's scripted and easy to use. It has a good resale value, and I've not had any trouble selling a level when we finish with it. If you have a little more time for planning, there are other OG curricula that are cheaper and effective. We use Right Start Math because my dd adores playing games and is able to learn well through games. But you could use something cheaper and add some homemade manipulatives and games. We bought SOTW on CD because dd is really into listening to books right now. I think it will have a good resale value when she gets tired of it.

We live in a small house and drive cars that are paid for. I'd rather spend money on my dd's education than a lot of other things.

My oldest sister spent $25k/year to send her dyslexic son to a school just for dyslexics for 9 years. We can homeschool for a small fraction of that.

If you have relatives who spend money on your kids for birthdays and Christmas, could you ask for money to put toward curriculum or educational games?

Edited by LizzyBee

Thank you for all of your ideas and suggestions. While I know that this is not going to be an easy endeavor by any means, I do know that it will be worth every penny.

I'm looking into some suggested avenues. I am so glad to be back "home" on the boards here where there is so much great information and support.

Thanks again ladies! :)

I never thought of trying to rent curriculum...that might be a good plan...has anyone here done that? Any ideas on how one might try to do it?

I don't know of anyone that has rented curriculum. I do know that our library has been generous about buying some of them and makingthem available for checkout. However, the loan time is only 21 days here and that is rarely enough time to completely use the study. It is however a great way to determine if the program is working before you put out a lot of money.

It's hard.

Home therapy is a cheaper option and often you can use that info on all your kids who need it. Perhaps it's not as good as a professional. Some may argue mom homeschooling is not as good as a private tutor for all subjects. ;) Often you buy one thing, use it, sell it and roll that money into the next thing.

Many people spend big bucks on children's activities, so it's all in each families needs and priorities.

Can you explain what you mean by home therapy? Do you mean using programs like LiPS instead of seeing a ST?

We live very simply and frugally. Our vehicles are old and we don’t take vacations. We don’t buy a lot, but if we buy any furniture, clothing or things for our house, we get from garage sales or thrift stores. We rarely go out to eat. I try to get what I can from the library or try to buy used curriculum.

We were approved last year for all three of ours. It has made a TREMENDOUS difference in our homeschooling/life.

My oldest went from a reading level of approx 2.1 to 6.2 in less than a year because now I can afford a private tutor that specializes in dyslexia. My other two have been able to get therapy and other things they need.

Renee, apply for all of them that are disabled. And do it all at once. I made an appointment and went in with all of the stuff i could think to bring. We were approved in less than two months. I wish I had done it sooner.

And we do have old vehicles that are paid off and live as frugally as possible. I also have forced myself to quit curriculum hopping and resold a lot of what I had bought that didn't work. Our local Teacher's Aid store has helped by having a Homeschool consignment area and I've found things cheaper on Craigslist.

We were approved last year for all three of ours. It has made a TREMENDOUS difference in our homeschooling/life.

My oldest went from a reading level of approx 2.1 to 6.2 in less than a year because now I can afford a private tutor that specializes in dyslexia. My other two have been able to get therapy and other things they need.

Renee, apply for all of them that are disabled. And do it all at once. I made an appointment and went in with all of the stuff i could think to bring. We were approved in less than two months. I wish I had done it sooner.

And we do have old vehicles that are paid off and live as frugally as possible. I also have forced myself to quit curriculum hopping and resold a lot of what I had bought that didn't work. Our local Teacher's Aid store has helped by having a Homeschool consignment area and I've found things cheaper on Craigslist.

I am applying for the two who (should) qualify now. The 2yo most likely will as well, but he has to have all his evaluations done first.

We live very simply and frugally. Our vehicles are old and we don’t take vacations. We don’t buy a lot, but if we buy any furniture, clothing or things for our house, we get from garage sales or thrift stores. We rarely go out to eat. I try to get what I can from the library or try to buy used curriculum.

Pretty much this. Dh does make a good salary so we do get to eat out, but I still buy clothes from Goodwill, used books and such when ever I can to save. It all counts in the end. We also don't have the money to fund the kids college. They are welcome to go somewhere close and live at home, but if they want to move away, it will be on their dime.

Heather

• 2 months later...