Menu

Do you take notes in your books?

That is an interesting article and something I didn't give much thought of except on a personal note. I write in all of my books. Always have and always will. Reading is sort of a journey for me. I date the books when I start reading them so when I reread them, I can have an idea of what was going on in my life at that time to give me a clue as to why I may have underlined a certain passage or wrote a specific note. It's the one reason I am hesitant to go digital and the reason I print off most lengthy things I want to read on the internet.

I take notes, make diagrams extensively and if I do not feel the need to do so then the book is in my world, a waste of time. This habit comes from reading philosophy and law for hours and frankly unless you make the abstractions your own by way of alternate example or explanation you will be lost. That said I underline Sherrilyn Kenyon novels as well. I hate e readers for any use but audio.

No! *shudder* I hate any writing in my books. I like to share my books with kids, family, and friends, and want them looking new without disruption or too much distraction. I write in notebooks to take notes.

:iagree: I get mad at people who borrow my books, and then return them with the corner folded over :glare: I sticky note all my points of interests, questions, notable quotes, etc.

But in a digital age? How do you even mark your place? I don't have an e-reader, can they bookmark a spot? Can they mark multiple spots?

This is why I buy books instead of using the library. You can't write in the library books, you're not supposed to anyway.

I love buying antique books, they always have some writing, some carefully penned reminders of the past in them.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

:iagree::iagree:I love seeing how others have interacted and noted ideas in books. I find it helps me as I'm thinking through a book.

:iagree: I get mad at people who borrow my books, and then return them with the corner folded over :glare: I sticky note all my points of interests, questions, notable quotes, etc.

But in a digital age? How do you even mark your place? I don't have an e-reader, can they bookmark a spot? Can they mark multiple spots?

E-readers save your place :)

This is why I buy books instead of using the library. You can't write in the library books, you're not supposed to anyway.

I love buying antique books, they always have some writing, some carefully penned reminders of the past in them.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

I bought a WWII history that had copious notes from a veteran, these added immesurably to the interest of the book.

I never used to until I read WEM and HTRAB. Now I jot down notes and thoughts and hi-lite to my heart's content. It took me a *long* time to be able to pencil in that first mark in one of my beloved books but all it took was that one stroke and I was hooked.

That said, it will drive me to madness if someone borrows one of my books and creases the spin or dog-ears a page. :cursing: