Menu

I should have said something...

I think it was really sweet that a boy that age would even offer to help y'all clean up the mess.:) He probably wasn't even thinking about stealing. When it comes to candy, most kid's don't care where it was as long as they get some.
:iagree:

When we travel to 3rd world countries we will eat food and sometimes have something left. You cannot imagine how many children will eat be hovering at our elbows, waiting for the leftover food from our plates or ask if they can have the leftover ice cream/cookie/juice that we don't seem to be finishing.

Once when we were in Peru my daughter dropped an ice cream cone on the ground. She picked it up and went to throw it in the garbage. A little street urchin seemed to appear from nowhere and asked if he could have it (yes).

No, the USA is not a 3rd world country, but you never know what kind of family the boy comes from.

but I didn't. My ds2.5 was being a pain in the bum so I just didn't want to add more to the plate at the time.

We were checking out at Wal*Mart, after being there for about an hour and then standing in line for 20 minutes (yes I timed it). My ds2.5 was starting to act up. He had a bag of M&M's in his hand (I realize now I shouldn't have given them to him but at the time I gave them to him he was behaving).

So I finally get up to the belt and start loading stuff on. Not even half done emptying the cart and my son bangs the bag of M&M's and they go flying in all directions! :willy_nilly::banghead: So my ds8 starts picking them up for me :hurray:. WELL, a boy in the next line over (we were at the last belt line and the speedy checkouts were next to us) says "I'll help you!" and gets an empty Wal*Mart bag and starts pick up M&M's off the floor and putting them in the bag. I said, we aren't keeping them just throw them away (I did pay for them), we can't eat stuff off the floor.

So I finish putting stuff on the belt, ds2.5 is getting rambunctious :glare: again and the boys finish picking up the M&M's. I hear the boy (he is about 11 or so I wager) say here I will throw them away and he wads up the bag.

WELL he checks out (he was alone) and still has the bag. I glance at him as he leaves.. he still. has. the. bag. The little bugger took off with the M&M's.

I should have taken them from the boy, after all I *DID* pay for them.

I just couldn't believe the gall! And lying! He lied to my son saying he was going to throw them away, they were right behind me so I heard it! For all he knew he was stealing those! Well technically he did steal them from us since I paid for them. :glare:

Not to mention eating candy off a Wal*Mart floor. :ack2:

Maybe I am looking to much into it? Still it irritates me. :mad:

This wouldn't bother me in the least. First of all, the trashcans are outside the main doors. There may be some inside, but my first thought would have been the ones outside. Also, I can't count the number of times I've walked away with some bit of trash or other item I *meant* to throw away or put away, but absent mindedly held them in my hand.

I really wonder, "What's the big deal?" I would have felt worse leaving the M&Ms all over the floor. I would be happy that he helped clean it up. I would assume he threw them away outside. Or, I would assume that if he were really planning to eat them, he would remember where they came from and not follow through. And, if did eat them, I would hope he didn't get sick.

This wouldn't bother me in the least. First of all, the trashcans are outside the main doors. There may be some inside, but my first thought would have been the ones outside. Also, I can't count the number of times I've walked away with some bit of trash or other item I *meant* to throw away or put away, but absent mindedly held them in my hand.

I really wonder, "What's the big deal?" I would have felt worse leaving the M&Ms all over the floor. I would be happy that he helped clean it up. I would assume he threw them away outside. Or, I would assume that if he were really planning to eat them, he would remember where they came from and not follow through. And, if did eat them, I would hope he didn't get sick.

:iagree:

Wouldn't bother me in the least, except the gross factor, of course. But again, most kids have a momentary lapse of judgment when faced with the opportunity to eat chocolate:001_smile:

I really don't get the "stealing" angle. Are homeless people who pick over dumpsters for food stealing? You were going to throw them away, so who cares if he took them? You really don't know anything about him, what he did with the bag, and if he did take them, his reasons for doing so. You state he was lying, but you don't know that. He could have throw them away outside; he could have intended to throw them away then change his mind at the last minute, being tempted. Who knows? Who cares?

Your kids are safe, happy, and healthy. That's all I'd care about. For all you know, this boy could have a really tough family life and chocolate, even dirty chocolate, could have been a real treat for him. Or he could be a delinquent who goes around scamming kids out of their chocolate. *shrug* At least you got a helping hand picking up the mess in the deal.

Lisa

I really don't get the "stealing" angle. Are homeless people who pick over dumpsters for food stealing? You were going to throw them away, so who cares if he took them? Lisa

:iagree:It was gross, but I wouldn't be mad about it. It wasn't stealing if you were going to throw it away.

Did I miss how old he was? I would already be wondering about a kid alone at Walmart checking out groceries, what kind of life they were living.

I agree. Why be irritated that a boy helped you pick up m-n-ms that your kid dumped all over the floor?? Who cares what he did with them if you weren't going to eat them? That seems like a waste of energy to be mad about something like that.

Just a note to the OP - I realize that many pages ago, you've backed off your original stance and have revised your original thoughts of how things played out. In these kind of threads, people like to keep giving their opinions, and I appreciate that you have not gotten defensive.

Nah, not defensive... fell more like a heel :tongue_smilie:

But yea, it was my original intention to see if it was an over-reaction. Not that I am known for over-reacting.. oh no, not me! :svengo: :D

Everyone is right now (especially since I have almost 24 hours behind me too! Oh and ds2 is napping) That I am not glad I didn't say anything, it would have been dumb. I wouldn't have gotten mad if someone took the old printer I threw out.

So!

I'll tell you what though, never in a million years would I have thought posting that would have gotten this reaction! Whew!

:grouphug:

But yea, it was my original intention to see if it was an over-reaction. Not that I am known for over-reacting.. oh no, not me! :svengo: :D

Everyone is right now (especially since I have almost 24 hours behind me too! Oh and ds2 is napping) That I am not glad I didn't say anything, it would have been dumb. I wouldn't have gotten mad if someone took the old printer I threw out.

So!

I'll tell you what though, never in a million years would I have thought posting that would have gotten this reaction! Whew!

Stop feeling like a heel. :grouphug: You had a momentary knee-jerk reaction and have used the counsel of wise women (us!) and time away from the situation to see things more clearly. To me, that isn't the behavior of a heel.

So!

Eh, don't cry over spilled m&m's :) Don't feel like a heel...just laugh now and move on. You'll be okay and we all have bad days where we over react.